Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-08-2021, 05:33 PM

Default Hunter Host questions

My gf had to move to another province for work. We are planning an elk hunt for September here in Alberta, so I’ll be her hunter host. The unit we go to has general archery elk tags for 3pt+ or antlerless during the dates we’ll be hunting. But looking at the out of province tags it looks like she can only buy an antlered elk tag. I’m assuming this means she cannot hunt an antlerless elk even though it’s a general tag in that WMU? Just hoping to confirm that she is still good to hunt the general 3pt+
Old 06-09-2021, 09:49 AM

Most of the draws are not available to out of province hunters, you just need to review the hunting regs carefully.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:48 PM

If you put in her card number and password, make sure her address is right, and that she is declared as a non-resident Canadian, then the license purchase options that will show up are only the ones she is allowed to buy. In the draws, all antlerless draws are not open to non-resident, but since this is a general tag for the archery season it could be different as non-res can buy most general tags. It does not however show up as one of the options in the regs. Normally though, you are restricted to one Elk tag, so no bull plus a cow, even for residents.
Since you didn't say where this is I didn't check the regs but if you call the Alberta Relm number they are very good at answering questions.

The link has an easier to read table than what copied into the thread below.

https://albertaregulations.ca/huntin...encecosts.html

Just scroll down till you find this heading

Non-Resident (Canadian) Licence Costs and Combinations

Last edited by Dean2; 06-09-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:27 PM

I'm doing this for a friend too. Looks like it's only antlered allowed for non resident
Old 06-10-2021, 08:59 PM

Default New Question

Also new to being a Hunter Host this coming season...for a family member in another province.

I've read the Regs, and been through Relm...

Q's:
1) When I add my relative to the appropriate draws on Relm in a group scenario, do we each accumulate priority points annually when not drawn?
- If I wanted to, I assume I can use that priority in the future for my own draw tag without them in any given season?

2) If drawn for a tag in the future with my relative, I assume it's only one tag that either of us can try to fill while hunting together in the Hunter Host rules? We don't each get a tag if drawn, do we?

Thanks for the clarity.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
Also new to being a Hunter Host this coming season...for a family member in another province.

I've read the Regs, and been through Relm...

Q's:
1) When I add my relative to the appropriate draws on Relm in a group scenario, do we each accumulate priority points annually when not drawn?
- If I wanted to, I assume I can use that priority in the future for my own draw tag without them in any given season?

2) If drawn for a tag in the future with my relative, I assume it's only one tag that either of us can try to fill while hunting together in the Hunter Host rules? We don't each get a tag if drawn, do we?

Thanks for the clarity.
You both accumulate priority points. They are yours individually. The lowest priority person in a group sets the priority for everyone else in terms of draw. So if you have a priority 15 in a draw group with a 5 you won't get drawn in an area that needs a 10. You can use the priorities separately later.

If you are drawn in a group you each get a separate tag. Some tags you can share with non draw entrants as partner tags, consult the regs for details.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You both accumulate priority points. They are yours individually. The lowest priority person in a group sets the priority for everyone else in terms of draw. So if you have a priority 15 in a draw group with a 5 you won't get drawn in an area that needs a 10. You can use the priorities separately later.

If you are drawn in a group you each get a separate tag. Some tags you can share with non draw entrants as partner tags, consult the regs for details.
Thanks for that clarity, much appreciated.
The bolded line above is awesome news!