Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-09-2021, 09:55 AM

Default Calling cow moose?

Got a cow moose tag this season and plan on getting out during archery season to see if I have any luck earlier in the season (have only ever hunted them in November with a rifle)

Has anyone on here had any luck calling cows in?

I'll be hunting from a stand in areas I know hold moose - but was wondering if someone on here has specifically called in cow moose.

I've called in does before so I figured similarly a guy could call in a cow if he knew what he was doing!

Thanks

J
Old 06-09-2021, 12:43 PM

I have called in cows lots of time just cow calling. Or they come in with a bull. Definitely do able. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
I have called in cows lots of time just cow calling. Or they come in with a bull. Definitely do able. Good luck!
Thanks, I figured it was do-able - whether intentional or not! I've done it with deer, just never considered doing it for a cow moose prior to rifle season.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:44 PM

You will likely be ahead of the rut. I would try a calf in distress call to start with. Most cow moose will come in to investigate that call, even with their calf right beside them. What you are hoping to bring in is a dry cow, no calf. First year calves don't do well over winter without the cow. If I had a cow and calf come in, I would take the calf long before taking the cow. Better eating and the cow will breed over the rut and produce another come spring. Not saying what you should do, it is your tag, just what I would do.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:53 PM

I've called a cow moose in once. Was hunting elk but had Bull moose tag too. Sitting up in a big ole spruce tree. Saw her from about 70 yards or so out but didn't know it was a cow. Was hoping it was a bull. Anyways, I turn my head and do a grunt like a bull would behind the tree I was sitting in and she did a swift 180 from the direction she was going and headed right for me. She ended up grunting her way 5 feet away from me and had me tree'd for about 2 hours after legal light that night. Wouldn't let me out of it, no matter what I did. Turns out she had a Calf with her, as my buddy found out the next day when he ran into ole cranky pants on the ground.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You will likely be ahead of the rut. I would try a calf in distress call to start with. Most cow moose will come in to investigate that call, even with their calf right beside them. What you are hoping to bring in is a dry cow, no calf. First year calves don't do well over winter without the cow. If I had a cow and calf come in, I would take the calf long before taking the cow. Better eating and the cow will breed over the rut and produce another come spring. Not saying what you should do, it is your tag, just what I would do.
I’m with you, and I would do the same!

The calf in distress is what I was thinking as well - I used a doe in distress call a few times last year and it worked almost ridiculously well…to the point it was laughable, especially September.

I’ll likely get out starting in October for the moose and see what happens, just looking forward to a new challenge.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 06-09-2021, 04:05 PM

I though you were going to be bow hunting in August. If you are out during the rut cows will come to a bull grunt very well, in addition to the calf distress call. Unlike whitetail does that run away hard, sort of like protestant girls, cow moose are more like catholic girls, not hard to catch at all. 😁
Old 06-09-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I though you were going to be bow hunting in August. If you are out during the rut cows will come to a bull grunt very well, in addition to the calf distress call. Unlike whitetail does that run away hard, sort of like protestant girls, cow moose are more like catholic girls, not hard to catch at all. 😁
Lol fantastic analogy. Yeah I think realistically I’ll start in October but may try a bit earlier if I don’t have luck or energy to chase elk around!

Thanks for the pointers Dean!
Old 06-09-2021, 11:07 PM

I’ve called over a couple of girls in heat. One with a whitetail grunt and another with vocal grunts. In both cases they were bellering first.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:34 AM

Talk to Hogie, he obviously told that cow moose that treed him how well he was hung in 'moose talk'