Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 PM

Default Browning BLR in 325 WSM or 358 Winchester?

I'm looking to add to my gun cabinet (don't really need to, but is there anything more enjoyable than buying new guns?) by purchasing a Browning BLR in either 325 WSM or 358 Winchester. I'm looking to create a fast handling short action firearm for hunting elk/moose in heavier cover (max shot distance likely 250 meters, most much closer) that could also handle Sir Grizzly should a negative encounter occur.

I'm partial to the 358 Winchester because of the lighter recoil (from published data at least) and the fact it is an "oddball round" - I like that. However, I don't reload so ammunition could be an issue.

The 325 WSM is a very potent cartridge, but not sure if it would recoil like a mule in a light setup like the BLR with a small low profile scope.

Anyone with experience with these calibers - feel free to add your $0.02.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM

I love my 358 BLR!
Hammers deer and bear like the hammer of Thor.

I have never shot a 325WSM, but seeing the numbers it definatly could be a bit much for recoil for some shooters, especially in a BLR.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 PM

i'll be shooting a 325 wsm this weekend, in an abolt, i'm familiar with the recoil of a 358 in bolt gun, so should share some perspective.
of the wsm calibers, the 7 and the 325 are the ones that interest me.
but i'll probly never own one, so many similar cartridges in the safe already, lee
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 PM

had two .358 win

BLR takedown and Savage 99... great guns and caliber until I played with a 9.3 x 62 which is essentially a .358 with really big shoulders and those experiences really showed the value of a 9.3 over the other big stuff. If you want a short action investigate the 9.3 SISK (286 gr bullets are the best way to go all around)
Old 08-29-2013, 09:35 PM

Default .325 blr

Um.... Ok....

I guess I'd better pipe up here I have a Browning Lever .325 WSM and I love it.

The kick? On one day at the range, I shot 3 groups of 25 bullets each, (while shooting 3 groups of 25 for my .243 and assorted other calibers as well) and after about 70 bullets or so, yyyyyyyup. I kind of wished I hadn't started that third group. But one or 10 shot kick? About the same as a 30-06 or so? It just doesn't seem that hard. Certainly NOT anything like the kick of my brother's 45-70 or my son in law's .338 Magnum.

I have done a lot of reloading for this rifle. Mine is partial to heavier bullets, it is easiest to drive 220 grain and 200 grain bullets with good speed and MOA accuracy. 180 grains.. ummm.. speed, yes... accuracy... not. Lots of work and no results on lighter bullets so far, including 180 grain factory rounds.

This is definitely hands down winner in "the gun that suits me best that I've had" category. I have another BLR in .243 and it's just not the same. I love shooting the .325. Definitely worthy of consideration.

Your choice probably comes down to what you're going to shoot at most, and where... the .325 will have a flatter trajectory for longer range shots.

Frank
Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM

Default Short Mags soon to be extinct IMO

With the possible exception of the .270 WSM and .300 WSM.