Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 AM

Default For sale items closed

So.. I see that items for sale are closed to comments.

Personally, if I post anything for sale, I would appreciate any comments.

Sure, there are going to be negative comments, but if you are advertising something at a fair price, why would that bother you.

Is it better to hide the fact that something is being mis-represented or over-priced. Is it better to protect someone who is being dishonest by dis-allowing comment...or someone that honestly doesn't really know the value of the item he is selling.

The last comments I had (when they were allowed) were positive ie. This is a great deal....and I meant it and it gave me an opportunity to bump the post on a nice piece that was being offered at a fair price....

Is there really a need to protect the adds on the site from comments. Methinks , no.

A few years ago I advertised my truck, at what some people considered too high a price.....it gave me the opportunity to explain what had been done to it and why I was aking as much as I was.

Did I sell it for what I was asking....no. The comments that where made led me to believe that "I" was wrong and so I lowered the price and sold it.

That being said....Nice piece, CAMOTRKY.... Worth every penny

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 08-27-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-27-2013, 06:39 AM

Too many people were trashing the treads however , Abe, and thread drift was very bad.
Also , there were far too many negative comments about the brand or type of thing being sold that had nothing to do with the actual sale of the article.
If the comments and pertaining to the article being sold however, it's a good thing IMO.
Rarely happens though......
Cat
Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 AM

Along the line with what Cat has mentioned.....people could not keep the snide remarks out and many ads got ruined.

I had one often get ruined by someone asking questions that did not fit and who had no intention of buying....just intentions of ruining a sale.

LC
Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 AM

There's lots of brand bashing here anyway. I drive a Ford, you drive a Chev. That's the nature of people and discussion and debate. Although I have seen a lot of ..."I have one so it must be the best"...even if the person has never had another firearm.

They are usually pretty easy to spot and their comments have no value in my opinion.

If comments made are untrue or inappropriate, the mods have the option of deleting it, although I'm not sure why a forum would exist if anyone went around agreeing with everyone else. Sorta like "Gun Control" discussion on a site where everyone in the congregation has already been converted.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 08-27-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 AM

I think the mods weighed the comment vs. no comments option and with the early bumps (before 3 days) and snide remarks.....they decided the workload of mod behaviour was better spent elsewhere than the buy and sell.

LC
Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 AM

Default Comments

I don't buy or sell a huge amount of stuff here or on CGN.

But I am always looking. I find the closed comments here to be a much more neat and tidy way of running the buy and sell. Comments by pm are likely more polite and relevant.

I like the way it is done here,and no doubt this way is much easier on Mods who are volunteering their time and subject to enough garbage for the decisions they need to make here to keep the forum going and the trolls at bay.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:58 AM

It's Waaaaaaay better with no comments.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:13 AM

X2 before when you could comment your ad would be on the second or third page within a couple hours because of the constant bumping.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I agree.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 AM

Buyer beware. Use the PM system if you have a question.

I like the changes.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:32 AM

The only thing I don't like about the no comments is that someone can't post a question that lots of people would ask. Such as location or something like that. But that being said, Its the op's fault if he gets bombarded with pm's
Old 08-27-2013, 10:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think the mods weighed the comment vs. no comments option and with the early bumps (before 3 days) and snide remarks.....they decided the workload of mod behaviour was better spent elsewhere than the buy and sell.

LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
. . . I find the closed comments here to be a much more neat and tidy way of running the buy and sell. Comments by pm are likely more polite and relevant . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
X2 before when you could comment your ad would be on the second or third page within a couple hours because of the constant bumping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
Buyer beware. Use the PM system if you have a question.

I like the changes.
X6!

The old Buy & Sell was a real 'dogs breakfast'.

It's totally waaay better now ... a BIG "Thanks" to the Mods for fixing it!

Mac
Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Gone Hunting

I do not like the changes and don't visit there near as often. I also notice that with the changes are a lot of ads with no price, location or pics. Far too much work for me to search out this info.
I just don't buy much anymore.

as far as the comments, well if you item is over priced you do know or should know.

If you do know then you are hoping to take advantage of someone,, and if you don't know it may help your sale to price it right.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC

You are very insightful. I couldn't have said it better.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM

I much prefer the no comments it clutters ads and gives too many free bumps it is way better and more professional now
Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
I much prefer the no comments it clutters ads and gives too many free bumps it is way better and more professional now
I agree.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:43 PM

It is likely better this way.
If items do not sell in a timely manner, seller can, or should lower their price
If they don't they are wasting their time and are not serious about selling.

TBark
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

. . . I also notice that with the changes are a lot of ads with no price, location or pics. Far too much work for me to search out this info . . .
I hear you, but I remember the old Buy & Sell to be just as bad for that ^ .

Walking through the Buy & Sell can be 'real' entertaining at times. I can't believe how lazy some folks are ... no location, poor description of what they're selling, can't be bothered to post photos, can't be bothered to properly spell even the simplest of words, don't know how to break their ads up into easy to read paragraphs, etc.

I swear, some folks here didn't make it past grade 3. And I'm sure they are forever at a loss as to why their stuff never sells.

Mac

Last edited by Selkirk; 08-27-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post

Walking through the Buy & Sell can be 'real' entertaining at times. I can't believe how lazy some folks are ... no location, poor description of what they're selling, can't be bothered to post photos, can't be bothered to properly spell even the simplest of words, don't know how to break their ads up into easy to read paragraphs, etc.

I swear, some folks here didn't make it past grade 3. And I'm sure they are forever at a loss as to why their stuff never sells.

Mac
I especially like the ads with almost no desciption, price or location:

303 for sale, shoots good.

If they look like that, I usually report them.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Banned

On CGN people LOVE to bash what you are selling/price.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
I especially like the ads with almost no desciption, price or location:

303 for sale, shoots good.

If they look like that, I usually report them.
I'm with you, but report them??? I think the best remedy is to simply ignore them.

If they can't be bothered to make an attempt to try to do it even half right, they don't deserve any of our time or effort.

In a perfect world, the system would delete all those half-baked ads.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

<b>
Mac
</b>

The real crazy part is, many of those posts are made by university graduates. I did a little research.

Says a lot about our edumacation system doesn't it.

The only way we will ever have a perfect buy sell section is if people start taking responsibility for their own actions.

Ask any of those guys who didn't list a price an address, or post a photo and many will give you a reason why it is not their fault.

"The rules weren't clear enough, the camera broke, they were moving to a new place and didn't have an address." The list is endless.

That is why only the OP is allowed to post, because people would sidetrack the thread and then blame everyone else.

One of the golden oldies is, "you do it too."

What was it the other day, , , , , , , oh yeah, "it's only a joke"

That's the problem. Folks want everyone else to abide by the rules but they want the rules to not apply to themselves.
We all know the term for that.

Understand, the majority do abide by the rules to the best of their ability, but if even 10% didn't, that would mean over 4,000 people abusing the system. The real number may be as high as 30% or as little as 3%, either way it's a monument task to deal with it all.

How many posts can several hundred people make in a day?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 PM

Exclamation 'Form' based Buy & Sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

. . . The only way we will ever have a perfect buy sell section is if people start taking responsibility for their own actions . . .
I hear ya Keg, but we both know that ^ isn't going to happen anytime soon

One thing that would help to clear up more of the AO Buy & Sell problems, would be to abandon the 'forum' based format, and convert completely over to a 'form' based format where participants are forced to fill out a form, with all the important fields being mandatory ... if you don't make a suitable entry (price, location, etc.) your ad won't get posted).

Actually, most websites these days that have a Buy & Sell section, use a 'form' based format with mandatory fields. They seem to work quite well, and require very little (if any) work by the site Mods.

Something for the AO to consider?

Mac
Old 08-28-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
The real crazy part is, many of those posts are made by university graduates. I did a little research.

Says a lot about our edumacation system doesn't it.

The only way we will ever have a perfect buy sell section is if people start taking responsibility for their own actions.

Ask any of those guys who didn't list a price an address, or post a photo and many will give you a reason why it is not their fault.

"The rules weren't clear enough, the camera broke, they were moving to a new place and didn't have an address." The list is endless.

That is why only the OP is allowed to post, because people would sidetrack the thread and then blame everyone else.

One of the golden oldies is, "you do it too."

What was it the other day, , , , , , , oh yeah, "it's only a joke"

That's the problem. Folks want everyone else to abide by the rules but they want the rules to not apply to themselves.
We all know the term for that.

Understand, the majority do abide by the rules to the best of their ability, but if even 10% didn't, that would mean over 4,000 people abusing the system. The real number may be as high as 30% or as little as 3%, either way it's a monument task to deal with it all.

How many posts can several hundred people make in a day?
And then we have the people that don't even bother with the buy&sell, and post ads in the forums instead. If they can't even be bothered to post their ad in the right place, do you really expect them to post a price and location?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And then we have the people that don't even bother with the buy&sell, and post ads in the forums instead. If they can't even be bothered to post their ad in the right place, do you really expect them to post a price and location?
Yes, that gets a little goofy doesn't it They should receive an infraction. I'm cool with people firing a pm and telling them they have the exact rifle a guy is considering, but not to put big old pictures in the thread.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I hear ya Keg, but we both know that ^ isn't going to happen anytime soon

One thing that would help to clear up more of the AO Buy & Sell problems, would be to abandon the 'forum' based format, and convert completely over to a 'form' based format where participants are forced to fill out a form, with all the important fields being mandatory ... if you don't make a suitable entry (price, location, etc.) your ad won't get posted).

Actually, most websites these days that have a Buy & Sell section, use a 'form' based format with mandatory fields. They seem to work quite well, and require very little (if any) work by the site Mods.

Something for the AO to consider?

Mac
I like this idea.

The only use for comments that I can see is when someone is looking to buy something, if I am somewhat interested in a similar item it would be cool to see what kind of response there is. That said I like that only the OP can reply to the for sale ads.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Banned

I like the current format.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 PM

They should allow members positive comments on the buy-sell.
Like.. "I'm positive you won't sell it at that price" haa.

TBark
Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 PM

ive never had any problems with the buy and sell in either new or old fasion. pretty simple. guys gotta know if they provide little to no information they will lose a ton of traffic.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 PM

Get over it, not going back to the way it was, that was a gong show, nuff work going thru forum threads let alone babysitting buysell

As far as NEW buysell threads, starting now to give infractions when not enough info provided, ie , details, location and price, be forwarned. it gets tiring gentlemen...............