Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 PM

Default Waterfowl ammo?

Hey guys just wondering what ammunition you use for waterfowl hunting?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 PM

Are you asking brand or shot size?
I will assume you know that you must only use non toxic shot for waterfowl (steel)
Have had good luck with kent faststeel, Winchester expert and federal black cloud.
Shot size I like bb's or twos for Canada geese twos for snows/specks and fours for ducks.
As an all around I usually just have twos.
I have about 3000 rounds of number two black cloud that will serve me for a few years but buy other sizes depending on the shoot.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 PM

For steel in 20, I like either 2 3/4 " Federal Premium 4's, or Fassteel 3" 2's
For the 12, (the limited amount I have steel out of one) 2 3/4" or 3" Winchesters work fine.
We have also used Fassteel at times and my son loves the big 3.5BB's in his O/U.

Mostly I shoot non toxic Bismuth or Nice shot in my vintage guns however, and that is a hand loading proposition for me.
Cat
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 PM

Fastteel 2s and BBs. 2 3/4" has been enough for me.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 AM

My main waterfowl shotgun patterned best with federal premium, either #2 or BB. I have used heavy metal and for the money I can't say it was a whole bunch better then fed premium. Killed lots over the years with fast steel as well.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 AM

We use Challenger 3'' #2 in the Benelli's, and Kent fast steel 3.5 # 2 in the baikals. When we go out we don't call it goose hunting, we call it shooting at geese. We don't get much, but always have a great time.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 AM

3" shells- #1 for Geese and #4 for early season ducks and #3 late season ducks. My gun patterns great with the Kent shells especially with my after market choke tube. Take the time to pattern, it does make a difference .
Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM

What would you guys use in an older Browning 20 gauge Citorie,its old enough I dont think its sreel compatable. Choked full and modified I believe, chambereed for 2.75 and 3 in

Thxs
Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM

One should not be shooting steel using a full choke, big no no.

You have a couple options, get a gunsmith to ream the full choke to a mod choke or get a gunsmith to put choke tubes in both barrels. First option is obviously cheaper, second option more expensive but more options with choke tubes. so depending on how much you like shooting the gun and how much your willing to spend. the good news is you have options

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
What would you guys use in an older Browning 20 gauge Citorie,its old enough I dont think its sreel compatable. Choked full and modified I believe, chambereed for 2.75 and 3 in

Thxs
Old 08-27-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
One should not be shooting steel using a full choke, big no no.

You have a couple options, get a gunsmith to ream the full choke to a mod choke or get a gunsmith to put choke tubes in both barrels. First option is obviously cheaper, second option more expensive but more options with choke tubes. so depending on how much you like shooting the gun and how much your willing to spend. the good news is you have options
Thank you Pixel

I think the choke tubes might be the way to go. I love shooting the gun, it fits and swings nice.
Also makes me look better than I a am !!

I actually hit birds with it
Old 08-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Gone Hunting

I will use 2 3/4 #4's for early duck teals, move to 3" # 3 or 4 for late duck mallards and 3" or 3 1/2 #2 or BB for geese. I too use Kent Fast Steel in my A400. I know Pixel said it is a no no for steel in the Full Choke....but I did shoot lower speed nothign over 1500 #2's, 2 3/4 and 3" thru my factor Beretta full choke last year. Everything was fine I know I took a risk but read in the manual and was sure that it said they were steel safe but the choke itself says no steel. Crap shoot maybe, so I went with an after market full for steel this season but it is not in yet.

Later
Phil
Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 PM

I too wholeheartedly advocate patterning Shotgun! As such I second the sage advice issued above regaurding patterning your gun.

"Steel" should be called iron as this is what it actually is, yet I suppose the manufacturers figure that doesn't sound as marketable. It is not a good choice for anything but the closest of shots in my opinion, some enjoy it and use it to good effect over decoys as close shots are the norm in such hunting (or at least should be if your spread is decent and the calling skills are in effect).
Typically folks go up two or three shot sizes higher for iron based shot than they would for other non-toxic shot or lead. This iron shot is not to be used with certain (usually older) barrels or with barrel constrictions intended to create extra full patterns such as the ones popular with many Turkey hunters yet will work in a modern barrel with a constriction that will typically result in a full choke pattern performance (though this can vary dependant upon manufacturer).

Chokes are another matter beyond the scope of this post, though I will say it is a pet peeve of mine when folks refer to choke constrictions by names such as full, modified et al as these are pattern results which will vary based on gun/constriction and shell used, not a certain constriction exclusively. Additionally the manufacturers of said items do not have uniform production standards from brand to brand when it comes to constriction. This can make things confusing for some folks, to say the least. Another thing I find irritating is when people assume that "steel" is the only, even prefered, variety of non-toxic shot. I shall save such a rant for a more appropriate post Sir...

Hevishot or Kent Tungsten Matrix (which is pliable and can be used in old guns safely as well with any constriction on the barrel due to its unique formula) are my preference with shot sizes ranging from 6 on up to BBB or possibly even larger dependant upon the particular game species/ranges I intend to shoot. What is available to me for purchase/use at the time also tends to have an impact on my selection. With the ability to order shells online and by saving up for and purchasing them pre-season, one can often afford to be more selective.

A good shot size for all around Waterfowling is #4 when using Hevishot. It's a qaulity all around load though may be a bit big for small ducks like Teal at the ranges they're usually hunted at. None the less, the Teal will drop if you do your bit.

Just a few quick ideas from me, far from an exhaustive compendium of Waterfowl load information. I have a few ideas of my own for shot materials that are not currently loaded by any manufacturers and will be conducting research into their use at such a time as I am able.

Happy Hunting, all the best to all who read this message!

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 08-28-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Banned

A friend of mine did a guided goose hunt tour last year and the outfitter supplied the ammo. They used the Federal Black Cloud shells and he said it took the geese down big time.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:12 AM

Phil, if your Browning o/u is a fixed choke setup, the full is pretty tight for steel. Browning says, their fixed full 12ga is .685, Invector is .697 and Invector plus is .708. Their Mod Invector chokes are quite a bit larger, whether the Full invector is rated for steel, is an item to check in their owner's manual. My Benneli and CZ and Mossberg and Remington full, screw in chokes, are not steel rated.

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...ail.asp?id=100
Old 08-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Phil, if your Browning o/u is a fixed choke setup, the full is pretty tight for steel. Browning says, their fixed full 12ga is .685, Invector is .697 and Invector plus is .708. Their Mod Invector chokes are quite a bit larger, whether the Full invector is rated for steel, is an item to check in their owner's manual. My Benneli and CZ and Mossberg and Remington full, screw in chokes, are not steel rated.

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...ail.asp?id=100
Beretta A400 Xtreme, removable chokes sorry, 3 1/2 semi I think the Full constriction is 0.694 or 0.695

Later
Phil
Old 08-28-2013, 04:22 PM

are you missing a 0 in front of those constrictions?

I use an aftermarket choke tube for my A400 Xtreme at 0.015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phild View Post
Beretta A400 Xtreme, removable chokes sorry, 3 1/2 semi I think the Full constriction is 0.694 or 0.695

Later
Phil
Old 08-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
I too wholeheartedly advocate patterning Shotgun! As such I second the sage advice issued above regaurding patterning your gun.

Hevishot or Kent Tungsten Matrix (which is pliable and can be used in old guns safely as well with any constriction on the barrel due to its unique formula) are my preference with shot sizes ranging from 6 on up to BBB or possibly even larger dependant upon the particular game species/ranges I intend to shoot. What is available to me for purchase/use at the time also tends to have an impact on my selection. With the ability to order shells online and by saving up for and purchasing them pre-season, one can often afford to be more selective.

Happy Hunting, all the best to all who read this message!
I have never and I mean never seen Hevishot, Tungsten, Bismuth and none of it is as cheep as "steel" and most of these are in boxes of 10 way to rich for my blood and poor shooting lol
Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

this is from the Beretta site
http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/a...%20optima%20hp

Phil
Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 PM

Just for fun last year I bought one box tungsten matrix, I have to say it felt like the old days, birds falling down dead instead of just getting knocked out of the sky. The result was so good I had really been tempted to pull out the loader and rig up some 2 3/4 loads using niceshot.

But we bought 4 dozen more decoys and spent some time adding the raffi grass to the layout blinds instead. Get them closer and open up the choke and plain steel should work better.

I have yet to run into a steel load that replicates the old 1 7/8 of lead BB's in actual killing performance at least in a 3" hull, but feeding the guns something other than steel for 4 of us (me and three teenagers) dictates steel
Old 08-28-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:

I think you will find that the discrepancy lies in just how they designate the choke.
The aftermarket choke is likely measured as .015 off factory or SAAMI spec , and the Beretta designation is measured by the actual diameter.
Cat
Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 AM

This page has the other way of explaining it, like Cat was mentioning;

http://www.guncustomizing.com/tech.htm#chokes
Old 08-29-2013, 01:40 AM

thanks appreciate the explanation gents
Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Gone Hunting

What make is yours Pixel? I have a Patternmaster Code Black, Duck Full and I am going to try one of their new ones the Patternmaster Anaconda MID range at .751 they should be coming here soon.

Later
Phil

Last edited by Phild; 08-29-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM

Trulock choke- awesome choke, currently using Skeet II hunter series, non ported as that was recommended by the owner based on my shooting style. I know based on past threads Cat is a big fan as well. When I paper tested, simply crazy...no brainer Been using now for last 4 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phild View Post
What make is yours Pixel? I have a Patternmaster Code Black, Duck Full and I am going to try one of their new ones the Patternmaster Anaconda MID range at .751 they should be coming here soon.

Later
Phil
Old 08-29-2013, 10:41 AM

For waterfowl loads, I generally use Kent Fasteel 3" in #BB. As far as chokes go, I use Briley chokes in all of my shotguns. If anything, the patterns are slightly tighter than equivalently labeled Invector/Invector Plus choke tubes.