Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
Jeez they need some new CADPAT in winter pattern and a lighter brown for when they aren't in snow (if that ever happens)
Any country that would be interested in invading the Artic would also have enough technology to the point of wearing any color camouflage would be a moot point.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 AM

I find it interesting nobody but me thinks the stripper clip "lug" should be part of the new rifle...

I've heard stories of the rangers on exercise in the North. They may not be overly military trained, but from what I've heard, you really don't want to mess with them on their home turf. They have tactics that work for them.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/12/

Personally, I like the previously suggested Ruger M77 'Gunsite Scout' ^ (.308), as a new rifle for the Rangers.

I'm guessing it would work just fine in the arctic, and serve the Rangers well.

Mac
x100000000000000000 Seems custom made for this role.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:15 PM

I do not think you guys realise the Rangers are not just an Artic force. There are rangers in every province as well.

http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/e...-patrols.page?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post

I do not think you guys realise the Rangers are not just an Artic force. There are rangers in every province as well.

You can count me in as one of those ^ guys ... I didn't realized that!

I've never seen (or heard of) the Rangers here in Alberta, or any other place (other than the arctic), for that matter.

It seems to be a fairly well kept secret ... I wonder why?!

Mac
Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM

That's news to me as well.

Thinking about it, every single province save for PEI and maybe NB/NS has huge chunks of northern boreal forest with sparsely settled areas. This is where an 'observe and report' mission could be useful in times of national emergency. Having this capability 'in depth' geographically speaking is also a good idea.

From the provided DND link, I see the mission includes promoting a favourable view of the Armed Forces, as well as developing leadership skills in small remote communities.

Thx quasi.

Now what about that new / old rifle?
There's lots of affordable reliable Russian bolt actions on the market, and the Ruskies know a thing or two about fighting in northern climes.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:41 PM

As others have mentioned, the Ruger Gunsite Scout is an absolute NO BRAINER for this role.

Absolutely nothing out there comes close to a multi-role, winterproof, completely reliable .308.

It's pretty much the rifle that would get made if the Rangers specifically hired Ruger to make them a replacement rifle.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:17 PM

I wonder if Sako could make something good for them? Be interesting to see if they were approached.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM

Smile

In my opinion it should be anything in 30 caliber or bigger otherwise there will be to many wounded animals dying slow death .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 08-28-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post

And as far south as Ft. Chipewyan!
Cat
Old 08-28-2013, 06:13 PM

Give them the M-14. Battle proven, .308 caliber, tough, reliable, will work in -50 deg temps as long as they are lightly greased with cosmoline. And dont kid yourself about a .308 not being enough caliber for polar bears. A lot of these men have either killed bears with smaller calibers, or have the skills to do so. I have known men in Frobisher Bay, (Yes, i called it by the name it was given by the first explorers, not the name given to appease tensions), who would regularly hunt polar bears with a .222, and do the job with one shot. Otherwise, keep the Enfield. If it aint broke, why bother screwing something up to fix it? oh, wait...this is the government we are talking about.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Banned

Cool

We actually have a member that I know to be a ranger. Old school bud . Bit of a dab hand with a period piece if utube is an measure lol . He wont see this forever, then again he will lurk this thread eventually.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Be great if your Ranger friend could pipe in with his take on things - the rifle, the mission, and their comm capabilities.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Be great if your Ranger friend could pipe in with his take on things - the rifle, the mission, and their comm capabilities.
X2

Given that pretty much all of us here have never even met or talked to a Ranger, I think that ^ would be neat!

Mac