Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 PM

Whether you like the changes or not, they chased a lot of buyers away. I used to buy a lot off of the forum. Haven't bought a single item off the forum since they made the changes, and when I posted a similar thread to this one I got lit up by a moderator who wasn't so moderate.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Get over it, not going back to the way it was, that was a gong show, nuff work going thru forum threads let alone babysitting buysell

As far as NEW buysell threads, starting now to give infractions when not enough info provided, ie , details, location and price, be forwarned. it gets tiring gentlemen...............
I look forward to these new changes, hopefully it whips people into shape.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Banned

First you could always post a what's it worth thread. The reason why allowing comments on a thread is bad because most people on here have brand loyalties and some compare a 3000 dollar rifle to a 300 dollar. Basically a lot of people will be trashing whatever you sell. Either because of their belief or because they want ppl to become less interested and therefore they can give you a low offer. Also I very often see 2 or 3 guys trying to sell a gun of the same calibre but different brand for the same price. If comments are open then one of them can go and trash the other 2 in hopes of selling his item first.

In a nutshell it becomes a poopshow
Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 AM

I would say comments should be addressed in the "PM".

Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
I hear you, but I remember the old Buy & Sell to be just as bad for that ^ .

Walking through the Buy & Sell can be 'real' entertaining at times. I can't believe how lazy some folks are ... no location, poor description of what they're selling, can't be bothered to post photos, can't be bothered to properly spell even the simplest of words, don't know how to break their ads up into easy to read paragraphs, etc.

I swear, some folks here didn't make it past grade 3. And I'm sure they are forever at a loss as to why their stuff never sells.

Mac
exactly.......
Old 08-29-2013, 05:36 PM

In a lot of ways comments on the buy sell was almost the forum self policing itself.

Don't post location - someone would tell you
Don't post price - someone would tell you
Something is a great deal - someone would say so
Something is a rip off - someone would scream so

In my mind, if someone is honest and forthright they shouldn't be scared of what someone is going to say about their ad.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 PM

I'm not posting location! It's only people from calgary and edmonton that think everyone else lives in calgary and edmonton.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:16 PM

Respectfully, change is not always a bad thing. I actually took the time to review your old post in detail. You bring up some good points, but I can tell you that the decision was not done lightly and pros without a doubt out weight the cons. It goes back to "buyer beware" as it is with most forums/ebay/kijijii and on and on. One must due their own diligence. Nothing stopping forum members to ask specific questions or input and post in general forums etc but that place is not in the actual buysell forum.

Lastly we will be seeing some changes shortly where those who do not provide the necessary info on a buysell thread, for sale threads will be instantly deleted, no discussions and possible infraction for not adhering to buy sell forum rules. Trust me it frustrates us as much as forum members. with 40,000+ members hope you can understand the magnitude

We are as well looking at other improvements, the challenge simply is we cannot always make changes to vbscript and make them forum specific which causes issues from general forums to buysell. what seems logical is not as easy as some may think unfortunately. considering this is a free buysell for the benefit of AO members, i think we have a good thing here and we do our best is all I can say. obviously not perfect, but not for lack of trying. Upwards and onwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsmatth View Post
In a lot of ways comments on the buy sell was almost the forum self policing itself.

Don't post location - someone would tell you
Don't post price - someone would tell you
Something is a great deal - someone would say so
Something is a rip off - someone would scream so

In my mind, if someone is honest and forthright they shouldn't be scared of what someone is going to say about their ad.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Respectfully, change is not always a bad thing. I actually took the time to review your old post in detail. You bring up some good points, but I can tell you that the decision was not done lightly and pros without a doubt out weight the cons. It goes back to "buyer beware" as it is with most forums/ebay/kijijii and on and on. One must due their own diligence. Nothing stopping forum members to ask specific questions or input and post in general forums etc but that place is not in the actual buysell forum.

Lastly we will be seeing some changes shortly where those who do not provide the necessary info on a buysell thread, for sale threads will be instantly deleted, no discussions and possible infraction for not adhering to buy sell forum rules. Trust me it frustrates us as much as forum members. with 40,000+ members hope you can understand the magnitude

We are as well looking at other improvements, the challenge simply is we cannot always make changes to vbscript and make them forum specific which causes issues from general forums to buysell. what seems logical is not as easy as some may think unfortunately. considering this is a free buysell for the benefit of AO members, i think we have a good thing here and we do our best is all I can say. obviously not perfect, but not for lack of trying. Upwards and onwards
I appreciated the response PS.

To respectfully play Devil's Advocate however, "instantly deleted, no discussions and possible infraction for not adhering to buy sell forum rules." may not be the answer either.

Obviously, some buyers have been chased away with the new rules, alienating the sellers by deleting without notice has at least two potential negative side effects.

1) It will upset the sellers.
2) It will make less goods available for sale. So someone who is looking for something particular might not see it because it got deleted by the mods.

Thus, with the clear upset over the new rules among some potential buyers and the potential loss of sellers because their ads are being deleted, and less product available due to the ads being deleted, it isn't hard to see that it may lead to a downward spiral. Or it may not, only time will tell.

But other than a few upset people, many of whom were probably out of line themselves on the ads they posted, the old system doesn't seem so bad. Additionally, if they don't want comments on their ads, there is another forum that provides a system that will suit their needs, and most of us are already members there anyways.

Thank you again for the response. I appreciate that you are listening to the feedback and approaching it head on.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think the mods weighed the comment vs. no comments option and with the early bumps (before 3 days) and snide remarks.....they decided the workload of mod behaviour was better spent elsewhere than the buy and sell.

LC
/\ /\ /\ THAT /\ /\ /\

The chit chat a few posts would generate would keep them eternally at the top of the EE. There may be legitimate questions, but just comments by someone's buddies (or not) like "nice piece", were just circumventing the 3 day bump rule, and causing unnecessary workload.

I like the cleaner format. There's nothing wrong with a PM to obtain info or clarification on an item, it's no more work for the inquirer than posting the question on the thread. Lots more work for the poster to answer tons of PM's though, so hopefully they'll realize their error and correct it for future postings.

One thing I'd like to see is the ability for the poster to edit their thread inside of the 3 day bump period. Sometimes someone makes an honest mistake or ommission, or someone points out something via PM that the seller may not have been aware of. To be able to edit would allow the seller to make the necessary changes to the thread to correct these items if required.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
There's lots of brand bashing here anyway. I drive a Ford, you drive a Chev. That's the nature of people and discussion and debate. Although I have seen a lot of ..."I have one so it must be the best"...even if the person has never had another firearm.

They are usually pretty easy to spot and their comments have no value in my opinion.

If comments made are untrue or inappropriate, the mods have the option of deleting it, although I'm not sure why a forum would exist if anyone went around agreeing with everyone else. Sorta like "Gun Control" discussion on a site where everyone in the congregation has already been converted.
It wasn't just brand bashing or fair comment.

Guys were cutting the throats of other members to drive prices down so their pal could get it cheaper or so they could hock their own wares.

It was pretty bad.