Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 AM

Default Re-barrel info

I'm wondering what is entailed in re-barreling a rifle. I have an M77 tang safety action I wish to put a barrel on, with magnum case sized bolt head. I see a barrel in 257 wby for sale at prophet river on the consignment and was wondering how head spacing is adjusted on a barrel that's already chambered

Might be getting in over my head....

Also recommended gunsmiths around edmonton? Never had need for one yet, but maybe soon
Old 08-27-2013, 12:05 PM

give Ron Henrickson a call. He's a gunsmith in edmonton, he'll anwer any of your questions and also be able to do the work. 780 455 3006
Old 08-27-2013, 04:17 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the help
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM

Default Re-barrel

You never mentioned if your Ruger action has a standard or magnum bolt face. If it is the standard it would require machining to open it up to accommodate the magnum cartridge plus extractor replacement or modification. Also the threads on a Remington barrel are not the same as the threads of a Ruger requiring re-threading and that can only be done if there is enough shank length remaining or the existing threads are smaller in diameter than the Remington barrel and can be cleaned off entirely and re-threaded. After re-threading the chamber would have to be redone requiring a .257 Wby reamer. The Readers Digest version is "don't bother". Not a home project without a lathe and reamers and not a viable gunsmith installation. If you had a Remington magnum long action you might be able to with some minor machining and headspacing but not with the Ruger. Back to the drawing board.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 PM

X2 on Ron Henrickson.

Hes the kind of guy to give you the time out of his day, even if hes not charging you. I sat and talked with him about the history of my gun for a solid hour after I picked it up from him.

Im actually also taking my M77 to him soon to be rebarreled. Due to the previous owner loading too hot of a round in it.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 PM

A re-barrel job will be anywhere from $650 to $800 depending on the gunsmith, price of the barrel and the type of action and if anything other than chambering has do be done like squaring up the receiver. etc.
Cat