Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2020, 05:17 PM
Banned

Default Marlin Model 60SN Semi-Auto Rifle w/ Scope

The old man wants to buy me this for xmas.

Anyone have experience with this gun?

It will be used for teaching the girls to shoot, target and the odd chicken and rabbit.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:43 PM

I am looking into one for my son as well. They are great guns
Old 12-06-2020, 11:35 AM

Lots to like about the Marlin 60s/795s, and I've owned both. I far preferred the 795s because it's fed by box magazines. Tube mags (for me) are nice for hunting, but for target shooting or any volume shooting (=gophers) I soon grow tired of tube mags. I know about some of the tube loaders for them, but the loaders have to be loaded. lol

I don't own any Marlin semis now, mostly because I prefer bolt guns for a host of reasons. More accurate, easier to clean, easier to trouble-shoot, easier to disassemble/maintain, etc. 22LR is a dirty caliber overall, and it just seems like the semis get dirtier than the bolt guns. (blow-back action)

Anyhow, the Marlin 60s/795s tend to be more accurate than a stock 10/22, but the triggers are heavy/gritty. Easily improved by an aftermarket MCARBO spring kit. The guns are light, have eaten everything I threw at them, not overly ammo-picky but like all 22s, doesn't shoot everything equally well.

I thought I was done with Marlin semis until a buddy of mine brought his Papoose to the range recently. I could see owning one of those now, but if were making a suggestion for a "first" semi, it would probably be a Marlin 795 (not 60) or if the budget allowed, a Thompson TCR 22.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:29 AM

Smile My $0.02 worth

I will second Groundhogger's comments about the accuracy and the triggers on the Model 60, and add a few more observations based on years of ownership.
They need more full tear down cleaning than other semi-autos due to tighter tolerance between the bolt and receiver; it was designed with less capacity for unburnt powder/grit buildup in the receiver than comparable semi-autos.
Put enough rounds (many thousands) through one and it will eventually need a new "Ejector Lifter Spring". This V-spring is the weak link in the design. You can do this yourself, although it is a bit finicky to reassemble. See item #16 in the exploded view: https://store.gravelagency.com/en/re.../model-60.html

Safety when training/clearing the firearm: due to the design of the tube feed, there will always be 1 or 2 rounds still in the loading mechanism when you dump the tube. These rounds must be cycled through the breech to fully clear the firearm. Only pointing this out because you mentioned training the girls to shoot; it is a couple more steps to clear the firearm than simply pulling a mag and clearing the breech once.

Even with all that, the Model 60 is still my go-to semi-auto. I prefer the tube feed when shooting in a high production field, it is less demanding than thumbing rounds into a spring loaded mag all day long.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-09-2020, 02:03 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies.

Picked it up the other day. Cant wait to take it out and have some fun.

Definitely will need to replace the scope.

Last edited by hunterngather; 12-09-2020 at 02:22 PM.