Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2017, 07:02 AM

Default Where to buy frozen fiddleheads in Edmonton?

My students are cooking dinner for some First Nations elders next week. They are making them espresso rubbed buffalo strip loins, grilled garlic bannock, roasted root veg with a maple-sage glaze, and would like to serve steamed fiddleheads as the last side. Does anyone know where a guy could find frozen fiddleheads in Edmonton?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 AM

I haven't seen frozen ones for years. Now that fiddleheads are popular the demand is high and the harvest is small, most get sold fresh nowadays and not enough supply left to freeze. McCain used to sell frozen packages 15 or 20 years ago, haven't seen them in years. There are a couple outfits that are now successfully farming them but the bulk of what is sold are wild fiddleheads. My mom used to can them, either way canned or frozen they are not near the quality of fresh. They freeze or can much like canned or frozen asparagus as opposed to fresh picked. Fiddleheads will be in season in May. There are some isolated patches of fiddleheads in Alberta but they are rare and folks that know where they are don't tell.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Can't say for sure but we have found them in the frozen food section at the grocery store. Safeway I think it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2017, 11:34 AM

I've found spots where you could fill a pickup box in recent years. I however could not find a market that actually made it worth while when you factor in the 4 hours shipping to a major city. This winter has been brutal and the fiddles will be late by a couple weeks. Should start in about 3 weeks to a month. Never thought to freeze them...
Old 03-09-2017, 12:27 PM

Thanks, guys!