Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Default Looking at an Argo

How does an 8 wheeled argo perform in muskeg without tracks on it? They look like they go anywhere with the tracks but I am wondering how the perform without them on.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 PM

they work pretty good with out tracks except in deep snow tracks make a huge difference

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 PM

I wouldn't run mine in muskeg without tracks. Not unless I was with a guy that had em' on to pull me out.

We run them without track in the mts because of popping tire beads with them on.

Snow and muskeg you are going to want tracks. I'm Scottish and they are a pricey option....but ya gotta get em' if you're running in the winter or muskeg imo
Old 01-24-2014, 02:31 PM

POS on their best day!!! Best to have the rear box filled with parts and a large tool kit to get back. Bearings and chain drives to the wheels are a large problem. While they can get into spots that not a lot other equipment can, you still have to get back. Just ask the guys that check wells up in muskeg country.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:41 PM

The new ones are way better there Unclebuck.

I ran a 95 for several years and what you are saying is correct. Not so much with the new ones tho.

I would not by one unless it was 2010 or newer unless I was mechanically inclined.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
The new ones are way better there Unclebuck.

I ran a 95 for several years and what you are saying is correct. Not so much with the new ones tho.

I would not by one unless it was 2010 or newer unless I was mechanically inclined.
The neighbour has one. He said the other day and I quote"they never told me at the dealership that these effing machines where this high maintance" lmao.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:30 PM

Only ever drove the neighbors once and a chain broke. You couldn't give me one.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:04 PM

The more virgin the territory the better. They don't like ruts or loose muck. Any veg and a gentle throttle gets you over some skeg. And repeatedly without damage if you are careful.

I got mine (2008 avenger EFI) to basset lake without tracks. Couldn't use the tracks because it needed to swim the chinchaga first. Use the term swimming lightly here as The 900lbs of cargo helped it find bottom most of the way across. Tires do well in snow until you start to bottom out the tub and float on the snow. Tracks are a real joy.

Miss my Argo constantly. Been impressed with some sxs w/tracks in the snow but they have no where near the footprint of the Argo. Nor the crazy torque that the Argo generated.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:39 PM

Default Argo

Argo are like any machine that needs maintenance .Although lack of will show up quicker with one.I have an 09 avenger with a aluminum cab and tracks and love it.We were dragging full size round bails on Boxing Day a mile with ease.Had a path a skid steer bucket wide to drag on.I don't like swimming mine as it's pretty top heavy with the cab.The only thing I don't like is the price tag when new,mine was $34000 to rig up and the dealer offered me 11 on trade for a new one.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 PM

Rough ride, high maintenance, loud and slow. Not for me.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Rough ride, high maintenance, loud and slow. Not for me.
I completely agree. These are equipment for special terrain operated by guys that have mechanical training. They are not a regular recreational vehicles like a quad.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
I completely agree. These are equipment for special terrain operated by guys that have mechanical training. They are not a regular recreational vehicles like a quad.
Actually summed up pretty well. The maintenance isn't as bad as some people think but it shouldn't be missed. I figured operating it 4hrs a day if a guy worked 5 days then u spend 20min-1hr of work. That's not bad.

I would change the oil once a season. Grease once a month. Oil Chains once a week. And budget 2 bearings every couple years(tracks are harder on bearings).
This would add up to 2full man days of maintenance a year. It's just broken up lots.

Problem is If u depend on shops to do your maint. It's going to be a nightmare anywhere in alberta. You'll be without your machine lots or pushing your maint intervals too much.

Nows a good time to put my plug for NEVER using Northern services in HL. Fairview was good to deal with. Argyl is bareable but exhausting to deal with.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
The more virgin the territory the better. They don't like ruts or loose muck. Any veg and a gentle throttle gets you over some skeg. And repeatedly without damage if you are careful.

I got mine (2008 avenger EFI) to basset lake without tracks. Couldn't use the tracks because it needed to swim the chinchaga first. Use the term swimming lightly here as The 900lbs of cargo helped it find bottom most of the way across. Tires do well in snow until you start to bottom out the tub and float on the snow. Tracks are a real joy.

Miss my Argo constantly. Been impressed with some sxs w/tracks in the snow but they have no where near the footprint of the Argo. Nor the crazy torque that the Argo generated.

Sidetrack here... How was Bassett? We are going to sled in there this winter for a look, but want to do it in the summer with the Argos.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
We have one at the plant for the field guys and it's always broke down. I would never look at one after what I see with ours.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
POS on their best day!!! Best to have the rear box filled with parts and a large tool kit to get back. Bearings and chain drives to the wheels are a large problem. While they can get into spots that not a lot other equipment can, you still have to get back. Just ask the guys that check wells up in muskeg country.

Not really true. Dad bought a 05 6x6 Bigfoot 2 years ago and it ran like crap. Once I went through it and cleaned the carb, fuel lines etc and did the maintenance, it ran like a top this last hunting season. Not one sputter, started in - 15 or colder every time, no bearing or chain failure either. If you do the grease jobs, oil the chains and drive it like it was built for, slow and easy. It will take you to hell and back. I checked out so many covered in cut lines and trails with it this fall that a quad would never get into. If you drive it fast over the rough stuff you will need that box of parts. Tracks is the best for muskeg as the Argo with out it will sink in enough to high center on the tub. Good thing is they don't bury like a quad, a little pull on the cable by a guy in front usually will get you out. I would like to get tracks for dads Argo one day, it will make it a sweet ice fishing machine and moose camp hauler in wet years. Nothing wrong with an Argo, if you want the ride and speed, get a Atv with lots of winch cable.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:05 AM

We had tracks on the argos at work. They went through anything. Could not stop them. Well until the argo broke again. I figure we would get 2-3 hours run time between tear downs and rebuilds on the drive system. I remember wasting hours and hours on chains and bearings and all the other parts. We stripped one and put a whole new drive system in it and it went 7 hrs. I don't recall ever putting gas in it. Maybe we never got it to go far enough???? The day they hauled them away and all the parts for them all the workers in camp celebrated. I would never buy one.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-25-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
Sidetrack here... How was Bassett? We are going to sled in there this winter for a look, but want to do it in the summer with the Argos.
Was there for work. Never brought a rod. But saw more bear and moose than any other job. Have a pic of the wall tent camp I set up, pretty comfy. Should of gone in nov instead of July
Old 01-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
How does an 8 wheeled argo perform in muskeg without tracks on it? They look like they go anywhere with the tracks but I am wondering how the perform without them on.
IMO, (run argos for 23 years now), you need to be selective where you travel through the muskeg. If there is some form of vegetation growth on top of the muskeg, your probably okay. Where it gets challenging is when you encounter the pure black muskeg and then it is a question of how firm is it. Sometimes you can get through the black holes, other times not. You can get stuck with tracks as well..... you can get stuck in anything if you travel to the right spots...
Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 AM

As far as maintenance and reliability, I'm quite impressed overall with the lack of unscheduled maintenance and breakdown. Now, I have never used tracks, and believe tracks do put more strain on parts than without. The argo I own today has just under 1000 hours on it and in that time, (probably has atleast 6000 miles/10,000 km.)
Replaced all 20 bearings at approx 600 hours;
Replace the drive belt approx every 300 hours;
Replaced the trans driven clutch at approx 600 hours;
Replaced the original brake pads at 950 hours;
Replaced the original starter at 950 hours;

Still has original chains, sprockets, motor, transmission.

Fuel stabilizer is added and thoroughly mixed with the fuel on the last top up before long term storage. Also, ensure no ethanol blended fuel is used for long term storage. Fas Gas and Shell contain no ethanol in their premium fuels. I have never had a carburator issue ever, (touch wood).

One thing people don't realize with argos, is that all their mechanical equipment is enclosed within and therefore everything stays much cleaner (for the mosr part), as compared to a quad for example.
A half hour of driving through the mud, and its packed everywhere in a quad, where the argo stays relatively clean. That in itself leads to longer lasting equipment,,,IMO.

I find the trick to ensuring long bearing/axle life is to ensure the bearing hubs are greased frequently. That way the axles and bearings will live forever but if you allow water to enter, you will kill the bearing in a matter of a couple of hours of operation.
And, the chains, I clean with a pressure washer (hot) and lube them........keep them clean and well lubed.,

Last edited by greywolf; 01-25-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:01 AM

Work Argos suck. No one looks after them, everyone thrashes the guts out of them. They break down a lot.
Private Argos that are looked after are much better.
The tracks require axle extensions and these can break some times.
However, you can drive an argo on 4 wheels if necessary (the front two and back two obviously).
Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 AM

Check out my video doing core holes north of Fort Mac. Suncor, Firebag. Ain't a very good video but anyhow. It has tracks. Love em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9atGQHJXSyo

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2014, 11:27 AM

Although the coolest thing on 8 wheels..and having never owned one , i predict they are like a buying a hottub, shovelling the first snowfall or a billiard table. Only fun until the novelty wears off then its just something else to maintain and lose money on.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Although the coolest thing on 8 wheels..and having never owned one , i predict they are like a buying a hottub, shovelling the first snowfall or a billiard table. Only fun until the novelty wears off then its just something else to maintain and lose money on.
What novelty? I use em for work.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 PM

For the price of a new Argo I think I'd rather have a heggelund. Seen them for sale at Ritchie bros for around $ 25000. Any idea what a nodwell or bombardier might be worth.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
For the price of a new Argo I think I'd rather have a heggelund. Seen them for sale at Ritchie bros for around $ 25000. Any idea what a nodwell or bombardier might be worth.
We were using this one up north of Fort Mac. It rides like a Cadillac compare to a argo with much more power. Towing at least 2000 pounds. Cab heat too. Seen some for sale along the Yellowhead between Spruce Grove and Deadmonton. Awesome machine.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
We were using this one up north of Fort Mac. It rides like a Cadillac compare to a argo with much more power. Towing at least 2000 pounds. Cab heat too. Seen some for sale along the Yellowhead between Spruce Grove and Deadmonton. Awesome machine.

Does the caboose drive as well? I've seen them with a box on the back as well as a cab. Figure the one with cab could be made into a camper. Would love to have one but the lil woman would shat a handsaw if she found it in my yard. Lol
Old 01-25-2014, 01:08 PM

The caboose drives. They are the ultimate. Swam the end of wabasca several times. Very impressed.

If I won the lottery there would be one parked behind my place.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
The caboose drives. They are the ultimate. Swam the end of wabasca several times. Very impressed.

If I won the lottery there would be one parked behind my place.
Maybe I'll ask the wife to get a 2nd job and buy one. Go on a tour.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Maybe I'll ask the wife to get a 2nd job and buy one. Go on a tour.
And if ya never come back from that tour, we know what the outcome was. Hehehe

Have fun bud. Be safe.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2014, 06:45 PM

the other nice thing about the 8 wheel argo is that you could haul them in the back of a long box pickup truck. I have seen some do it with a short box and leave the tailgate down, but thats dicey.

Once you put the entire moose in the back of your argo, you load it in the back of your long box, and drive home. No need for a trailer to haul it. Whats better, you can tow your holiday trailer behind your truck......

Whoops, off topic,
sorry.