Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2016, 04:14 PM

Default Fortress Lake - What weeks are the best fishing?

Hi all,

I am planning on hiking into fortress Lake (In BC, close to Jasper AB) next year and was wondering when would be the best time to go for fishing (Speckled Trout)? I have an inflatable whitewater kayak so I'm not worried about crossing the rivers anytime during the season.

Thanks for the help,
Old 07-12-2016, 08:03 PM

Default Fall

hey man I've never been there but I've watched/read a lot about this lake, and I know that brook trout get really aggressive in the fall and the action for them picks up at that time of year. Another advantage of a fall trip I would imagine is that the river crossings would be easier with low fall flows . Phil rowley did a episode of the new fly fisher tv show there( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HAiHDDlFOsA) I would just copy his tactics in this video if I ever go there ! Good luck post ur results if go ! Thx
Old 07-12-2016, 09:05 PM

No bridge across Athabasca anymore
Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 AM

We are portaging a 3 man whitewater kayak in with us, do you think the river would still be a problem to cross? The Kayak is rated for class 4 rapids.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms View Post
We are portaging a 3 man whitewater kayak in with us, do you think the river would still be a problem to cross? The Kayak is rated for class 4 rapids.
You won't have to run any class 4. To cross the Athabasca, you may have to look upstream or down from the old suspension bridge location for a good spot. The Chaba ford is very wide, but not so deep. I've only gone in spring and fall, and haven't been in there since the bridge went out, but have forded the river in that general area previously. One time we were able to get canoes flown in, and when it was time to leave, we canoed down the Chaba and Athabasca right out to Hwy 93!
To answer your first question: I've fished Fortress right after ice out and also around Labour day - the fishing was awesome both times! The fish are a little bigger and more colourful later in the year.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 AM

Sorry to hijack, but I'm also very keen on accessing this lake and avoiding the prohibitive cost of the lodge (around $5,000 CAD per person I believe).

How did you get canoe's flown in? What outfit did you use and what was the cost?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:15 AM

Thanks big bull, do I have to buy a back county permit or one of the campsites on the lake? If so how to buy the permit or book a campsite?
Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
You won't have to run any class 4. To cross the Athabasca, you may have to look upstream or down from the old suspension bridge location for a good spot. The Chaba ford is very wide, but not so deep. I've only gone in spring and fall, and haven't been in there since the bridge went out, but have forded the river in that general area previously. One time we were able to get canoes flown in, and when it was time to leave, we canoed down the Chaba and Athabasca right out to Hwy 93!
To answer your first question: I've fished Fortress right after ice out and also around Labour day - the fishing was awesome both times! The fish are a little bigger and more colourful later in the year.
Didn't know they had a bridge...... but it was in the 80s when I used to go & I hiked in. One time took the chopper from camp & took my 4 man raft. Like you, I rafted out to the HWY.