Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-19-2010, 09:48 PM

Default Determining Traplines & Line Ownership

How does one go about determining where traplines are and who has the trapping rights to them("owns" them)?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Banned

Maps are available to view at the local F&W office, however the names of the line holder are "secret" due to the Freedom of Info. legislation.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks, Doug. That's helpful. I'll check with F&W to see where the traplines are. It looks like I'll need to reach out to some of the trappers I know to see if they can give me the names of some of the others. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:30 PM

F&W can also contact the trapper and have them contact you if they are so inclined.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Maps are available to view at the local F&W office, however the names of the line holder are "secret" due to the Freedom of Info. legislation.
What makes you say this?

My understanding may be flawed, but I'm under the impression that "traplines" are TPAs. I don't remember what TPA stands for at the moment.

The TPA boundaries, and numbers go out on all of the oil & gas maps I create. Trapper names go out on many of my maps as well: probably around 25%.

If TPAs are traplines, the information is no where near as "secret" as you think it is. Tens of thousands of people have access to the names, and there is no confidentiality agreement of any sort in place with regards to the accessing of this data.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Banned

Whatever, no biggy. Go see the fish cops and see if they will release the name of the trapper to you.. That's all I said.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Whatever, no biggy.
Cool. I was a little worried that trappers didn't know how easily accessible the info is.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 AM

Default Trapliine Info

If I remember correctly, when I fill out my RFMA renewal form there is a box on the form which asks if I want to have my info made accessable to other resourse industries. It is a yes or no question.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod Valley View Post
If I remember correctly, when I fill out my RFMA renewal form there is a box on the form which asks if I want to have my info made accessable to other resourse industries. It is a yes or no question.
I'm looking at my dataset right now, and I can tell you that all 1676 entries have names associated to them. I have addresses for all but 82 of the holders.

I can not say if all of the information is current, as I don't know. I know that most of it is current.

An important reason to not be anonymous is emergency response purposes. If there is a blowout or a leak that involves H2S it is really important that you can be found, notified, and evacuated if necessary. Most emergency response plans are woefully out of date, however.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I'm looking at my dataset right now, and I can tell you that all 1676 entries have names associated to them. I have addresses for all but 82 of the holders.

I can not say if all of the information is current, as I don't know. I know that most of it is current.

An important reason to not be anonymous is emergency response purposes. If there is a blowout or a leak that involves H2S it is really important that you can be found, notified, and evacuated if necessary. Most emergency response plans are woefully out of date, however.
May I ask what site you are on to access this info , Thanks
Old 04-30-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
May I ask what site you are on to access this info , Thanks
The data set is provided and maintained by IHS, and it is part of their basic Alberta data subscription package (which includes a wide variety of environmental data, in addition to oil and gas data).

The data can be accessed in a number of different ways. Some companies pull the data across the 'net using software programs provided by IHS (like Accumap), while other companies are sent the "raw" data on DVD on a monthly basis (this is the way we do it).

Virtually every survey company, seismic company, O&G company, or O&G services company will have this data as it is the industry standard data set.

TPAs 2241, 292, 82, 452, 2335, 820, 192, 295, 826, 2288, and 1728 are all listed as belonging to "Edmonton Office - Fish and Wildlife Dept. of Sust" The address is listed as 9920 108 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T5K 2M4. They are all listed as "Active/Disposed", and have effective dates from 1986-1988, with a variety of renewal and expiry dates. The information for private persons is similarly detailed.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:11 PM

I wouldn't say that information is public and I'm sure there is restrictions towards it's use. Like you said it's for emergency and notification purposes not to find out who holds the RFMA
Old 05-03-2010, 05:34 PM

I double checked our license today.

The only restriction is that we may not give the original file, in electronic form, to anyone who does not already have a subscription to it.

We are free to do absolutely anything else we want with it.

Honestly, something needs to be done about it. Your private information needs to be protected, and it is not (in any way, shape, or form).

Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 AM

Default info

The info that is given to the oil and gas isen verry up to date I still get phone calls from one company about a line I havent had my name on in 5 years and they always ask me whos name is on it now. I tell them to talk to f&w and I dont think it gets them anywhere
Old 05-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Interesting Shelly and certainly worth checking into.