Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2024, 02:04 AM

Default Used Lever gun prices... are people for real?

I'm not a big fan of lever guns by any means. But thought it would be nice maybe to get a nice laminate stainless 4570.

After searching around i Notice lever gun prices are through the roof for a used item Yet alone a new one.

For Example Are people seriously charging $1700 For a used 3030 That I could buy for under $500 in my teens 30 years ago. I see alot of lever 4570s u could buy for $1200 when Wholesale Sports was around now selling used for almost $3000

Whats the deal? Lol. Pass the Ky
Old 05-11-2024, 05:08 AM

Default Had a dealer

buy a Russian SKS off a friend's table at the Red Deer show for $600 and put it on his for $900 resale! Norinco SKS's used to be $75 new in 1980. Amazingly .410 shells going for $250/box at a Calgary auction. The world has gone nuts.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:30 AM

Yes and no

Have prices gone up? Absolutely. Is anyone getting the $3g anymore? No. You missed the peak. These are latecomers trying to cash in.

All the brands are shipping new guns all the time, so wait for what you want. New 45/70s are $1800-2200, when they come in. They are pretty much gone the same day though. Pistol calibers are $1300-2000

What’s driving it? COVID shortages, ban states in the US, democrats in the white house, Remingtons bankruptcy (caused a shortage or marlins, Ruger is trying to catch up), Yellowstone (the tv show) making levers cool again, way too many grizzlies everywhere causing problems.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
buy a Russian SKS off a friend's table at the Red Deer show for $600 and put it on his for $900 resale! Norinco SKS's used to be $75 new in 1980. Amazingly .410 shells going for $250/box at a Calgary auction. The world has gone nuts.
Seriously?? Ive seen new at $45 and $32 a box. If anyone pays $250 they have fewer brain cells than 410 shells
Old 05-11-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I'm not a big fan of lever guns by any means. But thought it would be nice maybe to get a nice laminate stainless 4570.

After searching around i Notice lever gun prices are through the roof for a used item Yet alone a new one.

For Example Are people seriously charging $1700 For a used 3030 That I could buy for under $500 in my teens 30 years ago. I see alot of lever 4570s u could buy for $1200 when Wholesale Sports was around now selling used for almost $3000

I've had various offers between $2000 and $3000 for my Marlin SBL 45-70. The higher offers were when Remington went defunct and people didn't know if there would be any more made.

Ruger is making them now, but people seem to want the pre-Ruger version. The pre-Remington versions bring an even higher price.

People are nuts. They're even more nuts if they think I'd ever sell my 45-70.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

Things have changed a lot in 30 years. I noticed a big jump in prices the last few years alone. But I guess that is the new norm and we may as well get used to it.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:30 PM

Yellowstone

Everyone wants a 30-30. Prices go up

If some tv celeb carried around a briefcase full of cow ****, prices of briefcases would triple too

People are mostly sheep.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:08 PM

Yes sir. Ever since I watched Yellowstone I pack my 30-30 everywhere. Black wranglers and black felt hats aren’t cheap either.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Yellowstone

If some tv celeb carried around a briefcase full of cow ****, prices of briefcases would triple too

People are mostly sheep.
Basically this.

I have two Win 9422s, only paid for one but it's pretty mint and I paid less than $950 (I can't actually remember the price lol) but I don't see 9422s for less than 1200 these days. I bought a 94 lengendary lawman trapper for $725 or 750, I have seen ads for them for $2000!
Old 05-11-2024, 03:43 PM

A gun (or any other item) is 'worth' whatever your pocket book says.

It's just up to you what you want to spend.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 05-11-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Yellowstone

People are mostly sheep.
I always thought the prices started going up after Milo Hanson made the model 88 well known.
Couldn't give away an 88 before back then and it seemed to spread to 99s and 94s.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:41 PM

I had a Marlin SDT, and two mint 9422s, one in 22lr, and one in 22mag. All three sold at a profit, but nothing like what I could get for them now.
Old 05-11-2024, 05:59 PM

Made a deal to buy a new 3030 in 1972 for $95.00. Deal didn't happen right away and when I finally got it in January 73, I had to pay $115.00, but it was delivered to me. I was happy to get the rifle, but not happy to pay the extra money for it. Still have it too.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I always thought the prices started going up after Milo Hanson made the model 88 well known.
Couldn't give away an 88 before back then and it seemed to spread to 99s and 94s.
Could be....lol

I was buying win commemorative shooters from Trail Firearms for $225-$275 each years ago. Ratty box or no box, fired and unfired, dents and dings. Now I could sell them for $1000 easy.....but i wont.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:18 PM

Inflation is real. Always has been. Don't understand why anybody is shocked by it.

Prices asked don't always reflect what is really going on. But the market will always decide. If people pay higher prices, that's where the market is. But of course it is always, for some people, fun to complain about everything.

Always comes down to the same thing. If ya can't, or refuse to, afford something, don't buy it.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Inflation is real. Always has been. Don't understand why anybody is shocked by it.

Prices asked don't always reflect what is really going on. But the market will always decide. If people pay higher prices, that's where the market is. But of course it is always, for some people, fun to complain about everything.

Always comes down to the same thing. If ya can't, or refuse to, afford something, don't buy it.
Agreed 100%
Old 05-11-2024, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Yellowstone

People are mostly sheep.
Everybody wants a lever action, preferably with the shortest barrel you can get away with.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-11-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post

Nothing shocking about inflation and greed . They both work hand in hand .

Greed isn't a joking matter and the only real thing about inflation is greedy people looking out to line there pockets .

For some folks looking to own things while working hard ,things are getting out of reach like 700 bucks for a crappy rifle going for 2500. People are not complaining at all ,just a fact .

Hasn't been like this forever so your BS is only for those who worship the almighty dollar ,those guys have been around forever .

Or some guy who sells primers worth 200 for 600 then showing off his gun room and reloading crap ,those guys are the problem, not the markets .

Alberta Bigbore is a cool guy and like many others are thinking why all the greed .

Last edited by JD848; 05-11-2024 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Nothing shocking about inflation and greed . They both work hand in hand .

Greed isn't a joking matter and the only real thing about inflation is greedy people looking out to line there pockets .

For some folks looking to own things while working hard ,things are getting out of reach like 700 bucks for a crappy rifle going for 2500. People are not complaining at all ,just a fact .

Hasn't been like this forever so your BS is only for those who worship the almighty dollar ,those guys have been around forever .

Or some guy who sells primers worth 200 for 600 then showing off his gun room and reloading crap ,those guys are the problem, not the markets .

Alberta Bigbore is a cool guy and like many others are thinking why all the greed .
Now you're talking like a Liberal . It's all about supply and demand, the Free market.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Now you're talking like a Liberal . It's all about supply and demand, the Free market.
Anything that comes from you isn't worth the time I wrote this . LMAO
Old 05-11-2024, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Could be....lol

I was buying win commemorative shooters from Trail Firearms for $225-$275 each years ago. Ratty box or no box, fired and unfired, dents and dings. Now I could sell them for $1000 easy.....but i wont.
Smart.
I wish I had all the 94s that slipped through my hands.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:55 AM

Take a look at what new Levers sell for, Marlin or Winchester, even some of the lesser brands, there is no such thing as a new large bore lever under $2,000, and the higher grade models are quite a lot more than that. Value of the used is going to track the price of the new. Levers that are highly desirable and no longer made are going to attract premium prices.

I remember Bananas at 10 cents a pound, Ribeye at $2.00 a pound and bread at 4 loaves for a buck. Since I still want to eat bananas, steak and bread, I pay the current price and that is a hell of a lot more than it was, even just 3 years ago. Whether some of you want to pay current prices for guns or not is your decision, but the guys selling the rifles aren't the issue.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-12-2024 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:12 AM

Seems like when I go to buy something everyone wants big money but when I go to sell its different.
Look at classified ads and you see stuff that's been for sale over a month. Obviously if it hasn't sold in a month its not worth whatever they are asking.
About new levers. They are not even quality. Cross bolt safeties, poor walnut, plastic, heavy triggers, etc,etc. I used to pay $325 for pre 64 carbines and $500 for rifles. 86 Winchesters under $1500, 95s under $700 and old rotary magazine Savage's under $500 . actually $500 was as huge price I once spent on a minty 99 takedown, 250/3000. Most 99s well under $400. Hard for me to wrap my head around today's prices.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Seems like when I go to buy something everyone wants big money but when I go to sell its different.
Look at classified ads and you see stuff that's been for sale over a month. Obviously if it hasn't sold in a month its not worth whatever they are asking.
About new levers. They are not even quality. Cross bolt safeties, poor walnut, plastic, heavy triggers, etc,etc. I used to pay $325 for pre 64 carbines and $500 for rifles. 86 Winchesters under $1500, 95s under $700 and old rotary magazine Savage's under $500 . actually $500 was as huge price I once spent on a minty 99 takedown, 250/3000. Most 99s well under $400. Hard for me to wrap my head around today's prices.
If your for sale for a month metric held any water, stores would be turning over their inventory 15 times a year. Not remotely happening, even in a grocery store. I think Prophet River prices their used and consignment pretty fairly and there are lots of guns that have been listed for a lot more than 12 months.

If you offer something for a really low price, sure it will move fast, and if you are in desperate need of money that may make sense. Otherwise, better to hold onto it and wait for the right buyer to get a fair price. I have had stuff that sold immediately and other stuff that took 3 to 6 months to sell, but it did eventually sell. I have also sold stuff to guys that offered crazy prices for things I wasn't actually looking to sell and I didn't even have listed.

There is a very wide spectrum of what price makes sense in a particular situation.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Anything that comes from you isn't worth the time I wrote this . LMAO
A true Liberal response.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:52 AM

I don't think levers were ever cheap that I can remember. More material and manufacturing involved. Could always get a bolt action rifle for less. I do think that they went up too much in price over last few years.

45-70 is a popular caliber, for good reason. Mild to wild if you handload. Don't need to push it hard to get good performance. It's a fun caliber to shoot.

Rossi makes a 92 clone in a variety of pistol calibers. Price range from about 1200-1600 depending on rifle. One in 454 casull would be a versatile rifle. Can load 45LC from it too.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:06 AM

Those who talk about when they could buy a lever all day long for $500 or $600, forget about the stunned look on the faces of those before him that paid $60 or $70 when they bought their levers. Prices always keep going up and if they went the other way, many would be even more upset .
The big difference back in the day when those levers were under $100 is ,most guys bought one as their one and only rifle .A tool they used get game. Now the lever buyer is adding to his collection of 9 or 10 other random actions and calibres . I think most outdoorsmen are gear junkies now as much as they are outdoorsmen. Whether it’s the knife collection or the gun collection or the wardrobe of specialty camo. Not that that’s a problem ,I’m guilty of it myself to a degree
I have had a few levers ,some new, most used. My current one I have had for over ten yrs and paid $400 for it. It’s not perfect has lots of what they call “patina” like most of the mid 70s versions .I like it and shoot it on occasion but mostly it sits waiting for one of my grand kids to eventually claim it.

I’ll quit rambling now.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Those who talk about when they could buy a lever all day long for $500 or $600, forget about the stunned look on the faces of those before him that paid $60 or $70 when they bought their levers. Prices always keep going up and if they went the other way, many would be even more upset .
The big difference back in the day when those levers were under $100 is ,most guys bought one as their one and only rifle .A tool they used get game. Now the lever buyer is adding to his collection of 9 or 10 other random actions and calibres . I think most outdoorsmen are gear junkies now as much as they are outdoorsmen. Whether it’s the knife collection or the gun collection or the wardrobe of specialty camo. Not that that’s a problem ,I’m guilty of it myself to a degree
I have had a few levers ,some new, most used. My current one I have had for over ten yrs and paid $400 for it. It’s not perfect has lots of what they call “patina” like most of the mid 70s versions .I like it and shoot it on occasion but mostly it sits waiting for one of my grand kids to eventually claim it.

I’ll quit rambling now.
Nailed it
Old 05-12-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Yellowstone

People are mostly sheep.
I think Trudeau is to blame... Everyone rushing out to buy the only rifles he said he wouldn't ban.

Old 05-12-2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

I’ll quit rambling now.
You are totally right.
Not just guns. Its everything. So much inflation just in last four years.
Wonder when it will slow down?
I kind of hate to sell or part with anything lately because it feels like I could never afford to replace it.
Its a good thing our incomes have all gone up 60% since covid haha