Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2022, 09:49 AM

Default It continues....

Two more vehicles stolen on my street in the last week. Both Fords.
Go out to come home from work yesterday, truck won't start. Crawl under and find that the nut holding the ring connector to my starter-GONE. Checked video footage at work-nothing. Must have been overnite at home and I was just lucky it started yesterday morning. Was able to get the starter to engage and got home.You can tell they undid the connection. Clean, bare metal where the nut was tight to the starter and rust behind the nut. I found a nut and put it back on with the ring connector, click, click, click.
Screwed my starter I guess. Neighbor looking at it for me tommorrow.
I'm a mechanical dummy regarding vehicles.

As other can attest, I'm frustrated, sad, feel on edge at home and violated; tired too from always trying to keep an ear out while attempting to sleep while they roam the streets overnite unencumbered by whatever they face when caught and back out on the streets again to do what they do to us hardworking people left to pick up the pieces and pay for their actions.

I feel better. Letting it out and venting here is my way of coping.
Thank goodness for AO!!

Again, PLEASE, this is not an attempt at a pity party, no offers of cash are asked for, expected or will be accepted.

I will proceed with my day the way I always have, taking a deep breath, being the man I wish to be by being kind and helpful to those that are dealing with Cancer and their mortality.
We all have issues, some much bigger than others, and mine.
Thanks for reading and for those that have bigger challenges than me, my best wishes go out to you for a good day.
As my dad used to say to me, "tomorrow WILL be a better day". I look forward to that with the zest for life he always had. God bless him.
Peace, love and good health wishes today to all!
FHD aka Rick
Old 10-06-2022, 11:33 AM

Hate those armholes! Grrr…
But how my daddy used to say: if the problem can be solved with money- it’s not a problem but just an expence.
You are absolutely correct- there are a lot of people with a lot worse problems who are willing to give the arm or leg to have yours instead….
Take it easy pal, life is short. Love and Peace!
Old 10-06-2022, 12:03 PM

So you think they were trying to steal your starter?
Old 10-06-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
So you think they were trying to steal your starter?
From what the guy across the street said, it looks like they were trying to get it started. The threaded area had what looked like an electrical gouge/burn on the threads with a chunk of the threads missing like they were cross wiring it.
Dunno.
At least I still have my new battery!!
For now....
FHD
Old 10-06-2022, 12:43 PM

Take this as a warning and get yourself a starter kill switch before its too late, they can be had for as little as $20.

What's a stolen vehicle going to cost you? Guessing a LOT more than $20.

A cheap car alarm with starter kill can cost as little as $100 installed. The alarm part is useless, nobody bats an eye to a screaming alarm but the starter kill feature is invaluable, unless they tow your vehicle it isn't going anywhere.

And that little flashing red light that alarms come with could be enough to make a scumbag thief move on to a softer target.

Protect your stuff people, nobody is going to do it for you.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy View Post
Go out to come home from work yesterday, truck won't start. Crawl under and find that the nut holding the ring connector to my starter-GONE. Checked video footage at work-nothing. Must have been overnite at home and I was just lucky it started yesterday morning. Was able to get the starter to engage and got home.You can tell they undid the connection. Clean, bare metal where the nut was tight to the starter and rust behind the nut. I found a nut and put it back on with the ring connector, click, click, click.

As other can attest, I'm frustrated, sad, feel on edge at home and violated; tired too from always trying to keep an ear out while attempting to sleep while they roam the streets overnite unencumbered by whatever they face when caught and back out on the streets again to do what they do to us hardworking people left to pick up the pieces and pay for their actions.

Thank goodness for AO!!

Again, PLEASE, this is not an attempt at a pity party, no offers of cash are asked for, expected or will be accepted.

I will proceed with my day the way I always have, taking a deep breath, being the man I wish to be by being kind and helpful to those that are dealing with Cancer and their mortality.
Thanks for reading and for those that have bigger challenges than me, my best wishes go out to you for a good day.
As my dad used to say to me, "tomorrow WILL be a better day". I look forward to that with the zest for life he always had. God bless him.
FHD aka Rick
This is likely the drug addicts that need the $$$. They need on average $300.00/day pay for there drug opioid addictions. A truck (parts of a truck) parts will satisfy the payment part. Movie below Vancouver is dying.
https://youtu.be/PT8OU8Yhs_s

Best of luck in your health.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Take this as a warning and get yourself a starter kill switch before its too late, they can be had for as little as $20.

What's a stolen vehicle going to cost you? Guessing a LOT more than $20.

A cheap car alarm with starter kill can cost as little as $100 installed. The alarm part is useless, nobody bats an eye to a screaming alarm but the starter kill feature is invaluable, unless they tow your vehicle it isn't going anywhere.

And that little flashing red light that alarms come with could be enough to make a scumbag thief move on to a softer target.

Protect your stuff people, nobody is going to do it for you.
THANKS! I'll be looking into it.
In the meantime I will disable the battery connections and chain up my tires with what I have on hand. It's about the only thing I can do right now.
I appreciate the response.
FHD aka Rick
Old 10-06-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
From what the guy across the street said, it looks like they were trying to get it started. The threaded area had what looked like an electrical gouge/burn on the threads with a chunk of the threads missing like they were cross wiring it.
Dunno.
At least I still have my new battery!!
For now....
FHD
They would either have to power your ignition or diesel shut off solenoid depending on whether it’s gas or diesel. So if they were under your hood doing that I’m not sure why they would crawl under to jump your starter instead of the starter relay. But that’s just my thoughts.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
They would either have to power your ignition or diesel shut off solenoid depending on whether it’s gas or diesel. So if they were under your hood doing that I’m not sure why they would crawl under to jump your starter instead of the starter relay. But that’s just my thoughts.
Seems pretty methed up…..
Old 10-06-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Seems pretty methed up…..
Hahahaha. You may have hit the nail on the head right there. Here I am trying to make sense of things, but missing your one important fact.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:59 PM

Your in Calgary?

Lucky they didn’t try and steal your cat. They make an awful mess cutting them out
Old 10-07-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Thank goodness for AO!!

FHD aka Rick
Hey Rick,

I feel your pain. My truck was stolen on August 15th in broad daylight right in front of my house. The truck was recovered 4 days later. I fought for 5 weeks with my insurance company to get a drug sweep. They finally gave in and had the drug test completed. They got the results and they found Meth, Morphine, Oxy, Cocaine and Heroin. These guys are jacking these trucks and having a good time.

I agree with Does it ALL outdoors about a kill switch. I wish I would have got one. I always park in the garage, but in this instance my truck was parked out front for a couple hours. In the end, I know that the money spent on a kill switch would have been far less than what this is going to cost, plus the headache it has caused.

Good luck to you.

Chris