Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2022, 08:42 PM

SNS2…I know a guy with a partially finished buggy that you could probably pick up for cheap if you talk to his wife. Lots of welding practice there…lol.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
SNS2…I know a guy with a partially finished buggy that you could probably pick up for cheap if you talk to his wife. Lots of welding practice there…lol.
Don’t even joke about that!!! I’m waiting for updates this winter.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:39 PM

Congrats to your son. Mine is 24, got into welding by chance(a shop needed a grunt, he was dating a girl whos dad worked there lol). He got laid off right when covid came in(low man on the totem pole) as he was working as a grunt in a shop while he waited to be a 1st year HD mechanic. That was at 21 ish.

He will go for his 3rd year at Xmas and be a journeyman welder. I suggested welding as a trade in high school. He scoffed at the thought lol. What did I know.

Now he is thinking once he gets his welding ticket and some experience, he may go back and try HD mechanics again now that the trade is looking for greenhorns.

I like the idea of dual tickets, also want him to get more experience in the welding trade and make some $$$ with that ticket. But if he has both trades by the time he is 30, that's pretty good too.

I remember chasing my auto body ticket so many years ago. Getting the Red Seal diploma when those 4 yrs were done was such a milestone moment.

Good luck to your son
Old 09-29-2022, 10:28 PM

Congrats to you and your son. I took some training in HD mechanics before I returned to farm and that training has paid off everyday. I think the trades are the best place for young guys to look for careers.

I sit on a board for an agriculture business coop and we have had to hire some new people for our business. Out of the applicants we had, 75% of them were 30-40 year old welders from the oil patch. The common theme with all of them is that they were done welding in the patch no matter what kind of money was offered. They were tired of the lifestyle with little time for family and the up and down cycle of working in the patch. They were looking for something more stable.

What I see is that there is a real shortage of electricians and plumbers in rural areas of Alberta. Those are trades that I would suggest to any young guy looking for a career. If you are good you will never be out of work and a quick way to own your own business if you wish to do so.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
x2... smartest people i know got a trade or 2 years technical diploma and off they went. some went and pursued a liberal arts education after, and they always had money and drive ... i was lucky as i worked rigs in summers and then went as a teamster on the docks afterwards before completing my liberal arts ed. ... each to their own ... my daughter this year finished grade 12 @ 17 years ... left right after grad and worked as an aux pere (did I say that right) in Italy for July & August .. then went to France to celebrate her 18th and back packed France, Switzerland for a month and back yesterday ... future plans are 6 weeks in NY for acting then 2-3 months in NZ and OZ during winter ... Spring in Victoria and the North VR Island then tree planting for the summer and then ???? /.... fully encourage a gap year or 3 to get it together and embrace change and grow ... best to your son as he is pointed in the right direction ...an off shoot for welding is NDT
My son has enjoyed the opportunities tree planting has given him.Spring and summers planting Northern Vancouver Island then PG.Fall 2018 he moved to Northern England to plant the railway to Scotland. Spends 6 weeks travelling March-April all over Europe and Middle East

Covid cut his 3 Year UK work stint to 2 years.

Started a new 2 year tree planting stint last month in Northern Tasmania living in a wildlife park. Off season in Indonesia
Still finding himself at 30

Last edited by omega50; 09-29-2022 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Boilermakers left the Building trades and just signed a $10+ raise over 3 years, $8+ over the first 3 months. 146 is a strong Union and if your son has the right attitude he will succeed there. They have alot of work and they have alot of connections in the States if he is willing to travel and make bank while things are slow here.
Exchanger also employs members of 488 and 720 as well as other support trades, they typically do a lot of work up here .....
Cat
Old 09-30-2022, 09:36 AM

sns2, if your son ever ends up on a project or shutdown up in this neck of the woods, tell him he is welcome at my table anytime he wants to come to town and get a break from camp!
Cat
Old 09-30-2022, 01:59 PM

So many great and encouraging posts here. I don’t claim to be an expert in any topic but I’d say follow your passion and you’ll excel and I agree that Trades are an amazing route for a successful future. The majority of my friends are in these fields and they are happy and successful. And they say similar things about stay out of the drama and show up early and give it your all. So many people are scared off by trades these days because of job security worry and I’m sure this isn’t true for everyone but a lot of my friends never lost their jobs during slow times. they always busted they arse and earned a respectful reputation and they were kept on payroll despite the lows that hit. So many people jumped ship when the economy was in the downhill. People left in fear of what might come but that’s no way to live. We all could lose our job tomorrow so running today in fear of what “might” happen tomorrow isn’t always the solution. I also won’t lie that I am more traditional and no offence to anyone on here, that thinks this comment is garbage… but I grew up with a labourer father, not an office job father and so I come from that generation that believes a man’s role is to financially support his family, be tough and strong with callousness instead of paper cuts lol. I really respect the men and women in trades and I think it builds all kinds of great life skills for people also. My buddy Bob is a teacher like some of you. I have mentioned him before. He’s near the end of his career and is patient kind and knowledgeable. I can tell from our conversations that teaching is sure a tough job especially with the way the school system has evolved but he says the same thing about encouraging trades. . I’ll share one of his comments - he said - go in to trades - but never make the mistake of hanging up the hard hat to teach the trades to kids in school. He believes the intensity and the lack of work life balance makes it difficult for anyone teaching not to be pressured into being sucked into the drama. I guess only teachers would know best if this is true. My oilfield friends love the sense of accomplishment when on shift or a shut down and they love being with the family on days off without having work nagging with emails etc. I fully support the trades and think anyone considering it is well on their way to a great future. Work hard, mind your p’s and q’s, and remember that right now employers are looking for employees! Many are willing to give a little extra to retain people. So many people don’t take these opportunities because they say it “might” not last, but I say it’s no different than that bottle of rum not lasting - if the bottle or the job comes to an end - go get another lol. Opportunities are pretty endless right now if you are looking!! Cheers to all you teachers and all you tradesmen!
Old 09-30-2022, 04:58 PM

Two thumbs up on this!

Dodger.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:04 PM

My advice would be to choose a trade that isn’t over saturated with a big non-ticketed workforce, ie carpenters
Old 09-30-2022, 05:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hogfarmer View Post
My advice would be to choose a trade that isn’t over saturated with a big non-ticketed workforce, ie carpenters
And Electricians. Now some of the lowest paid on site, Scaffolders make more
Old 09-30-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hogfarmer View Post
Motvall carpneters are non ticketed , and not all carpenters can do specislized work.
I have always maintained that it is a good trade with lots of work and good pay, and an honorable carreer p to boot as are all trades .
I was never ashamed to tell anyone that I was a carpenter/scaffolder , and am now happily retired with a decent pension thanks to the carpenters union .
Cat
Old 09-30-2022, 05:31 PM

Location plays a roll on what trades are most valuable and in demand. Something to consider when picking a trade is the kind of location you enjoy living in too
Old 09-30-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My son is 19. Graduated during Covid. Really good kid. Biggest trouble he’s given us is a messy room. Smart enough to go to university, but I never encouraged it. I may be different, but as a teacher, I have always felt that the trades have so much more to offer than trying to figure out what you wanna do while at university. I did not want him to follow in my footsteps. University, at least in my opinion, is a black hole unless you have something very specific in mind. Anyhow, this summer I pointedly challenged him to get serious and choose a job that can lead somewhere. He took it to heart, started investigating the trades, and a week ago he told me he wants to get on as a welding apprentice.

A hunting buddy got him an interview, and today he got on with Edmonton Exchanger, and after his probation will choose between welding, pipe fitting or boilermaker and head to NAIT.

Such a good feeling when your kids make good decisions and start finding their way in life.

Today, I am happy and thankful. Just really, really thankful.
Good on You! Should be proud!

Obviously your son has a good head between his shoulders...and a father/family that will support him with whatever endeavors he chooses... ...
Old 09-30-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky buck View Post
location plays a roll on what trades are most valuable and in demand. Something to consider when picking a trade is the kind of location you enjoy living in too
100%
Old 09-30-2022, 07:17 PM

SNS you have lot's to be thankful for and I'm sure you guys, as parents, played a big part in it.

The only comment I would add, is whatever your kid is good at and has an interest in, that what they should pursue. To say trades are better, or university is better really depends on the kid.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The only comment I would add, is whatever your kid is good at and has an interest in, that what they should pursue. To say trades are better, or university is better really depends on the kid.
There’s some truth in that comment right there. University would have been a complete waste on me as I’m sure it would be on a great number of people. But the trades have done me well. Most young people fiddle-fart around for a number of years before they decide what they really want to do. If a young guy can start a trade right out of high school then he's got a great head start on most.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:38 PM

When he’s making his choice, you need to be able to guide him. Some things for you guys to think about:

Outside vs inside work. Crappy camp life but more $ vs home every evening but less $. Cross border opportunities or not. Tied to big cities/sites vs opportunity to live wherever. Health risks. Pensions/benefits. Own business, have control and all the crap it entails or leave work at work.

So many people focus on “like” or wage and well I’ll tell ya, I like fishing a lot but I’m sure glad i didn’t become a guide on the flip side you could not pay me enough to go back to the patch.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Location plays a roll on what trades are most valuable and in demand. Something to consider when picking a trade is the kind of location you enjoy living in too
This is good advice.

Boilermaker can be a tough job. Either you're pulling bundles on a crew, chasing that work or you're working inside vessels swapping trays. If he doesn't mind the confined space and crappy environment then there's money to be made. Will most likely spend his career chasing work though. Something to bare in mind. Also in those vessels you are exposed to all type of nastiness. Of course there's PPE but it's not always used.

Welder is a great first trade. Don't make a career out of it. There's many reasons for that but life wise it does have a lot of transferable skills. From properly using a level to using a measuring tape.

Pipefitter is a decent gig. Similar to BM work only you spend you time from the first vessel flange out. Lots of rigging and grunt work though. It can be hard on the body cause you'll go from standing there for 3 hrs waiting for a permit to trying to hang a 2 ton chain fall without warming your body up. But if the boy has brains he will end up running the crew and there's lots of good leadership roles.

Either way there's a solid chance he's going to spend his time working long hours and chasing work. Of course there is exceptions though.
Old 10-01-2022, 03:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Your right it is a great feeling seeing your kids work hard towards a career, get a career, buy a vehicle, house etc just by putting in the effort.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-01-2022, 12:07 PM

Thumbs up Outstanding!

Congratulations to your son. That's a career path that will serve him well; even if he chooses another path a later date.

Question: Do they even offer sensitivity training to welders?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-01-2022, 03:17 PM

In our teens and early 20s few of us give much thought to the cost of ailing health in later years.
After recently retiring from the trades, (Autobody, then Industrial Painter), the best advice I can offer a young fellow is to have a concrete plan to get out by the time he's 40, and always be aware that life can throw you unexpected turns that may ruin even the best laid plans. Your body starts to break down in your 20s and back breaking work and exposure to hazardous compounds won't make your later years any more enjoyable. Don't waste your best years ruining your body. Welding fits the description of punishing, hazardous work, though financially rewarding and honest hard work.
Hope this isn't discouraging because I think a life in the trades and the prospect of doing something creative and satisfying is an honorable pursuit. It's a purely respectable endeavor but consider your health and safety over everything else.
Old 10-01-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Congratulations to your son. That's a career path that will serve him well; even if he chooses another path a later date.

Question: Do they even offer sensitivity training to welders?
Indeed they do. One of the guys I hunt with used a term no longer acceptable to refer to one of his colleagues. He had to go a session.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:54 PM

Sure neat when the influence we have on them helps them learn their own way. And they can still change & be or do most of anything out there within reason! Seems like a good example parenting here!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-05-2022, 04:44 PM

B6646E99-5346-423E-94A4-F438E9152220.jpg

3F76E343-3D29-4657-AB0E-F1B87E194FC4.jpg

818A5F62-0A73-4FF1-9D27-E212EA8F6149.jpg
Old 10-05-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Spot on x3.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:35 PM

The big advantage of the trades, is that instead of paying money out for years, and ending up with a student loan, you start out with money coming in., and only lose 2-3 months of work at school, and some companies actually pay full wages, while you are at school. Some professionals will eventually make up for the years of paying out, and will pay off their loans, and actually make more in their lifetime, but many of those people also work to older ages. As well, with some companies, you can work your way into a leadership role, and even into upper management, with only a trades ticket, and no degree. It all depends on the person, and who you work for. Knowing the young man personally, I think that he will work hard, and take advantage of this opportunity, and do very well..
Old 10-05-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Your right it is a great feeling seeing your kids work hard towards a career, get a career, buy a vehicle, house etc just by putting in the effort.
Absolutely. Whether our kids follow the same path as us or their interests are vastly different, watching our kids grow and find their path is rewarding and deserves recognition. I never pushed my hobbies on my kids or my choice of career. Each to their own. That way they can follow what drives them and that will inevitably lead them to some sort of happiness and success. Whether that’s university or a trade will be up to them but I do think it’s important that awareness be raised that going in to trades is not necessarily for non academic kids. Have you seen the math required to fabricate something in welding?! The kids in this field, in my eyes atleast, are equally as gifted and smart. Sometimes trades get a rep for attracting lower achievers and I couldn’t disagree with this mentality more.