Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2022, 12:36 PM

Default Static on Telus Land Line

Have been dealing with insufferable static on Telus land line in Calgary. Has anyone else been noticing this? It has been ongoing for at least three weeks and have done the unplug this, unplug that etc. A technician came out two weeks ago, replaced some connectors and that was only good for a couple days. Apparently “nobody” is using dsl phone filters any more. Have had an e mail into the technician for a week now and no response. Last call was 1.3 hours on hold to get a live body and the technician booked. Next phone call may identical except it will be to Shaw for a change of service. Not sure that Shaw is any better and with the potential sale to Rodgers, who knows. Perhaps they want us off of land lines and into cells.
Old 09-25-2022, 12:54 PM

Had the problem for years every time we had a rainstorm. The pedestals would get wet as they were sometimes placed in low spots. The contracted technicians tried everything and implied that Telus really was not going to improve things (ie, reinvest their profits) as eventually there would be no land lines. We switched over to our broadband provider and said sayonara to Telus. Their is only joy in my life once I showed the backside to Telus.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:05 PM

It is likely problems with the line themselves. Either moisture, corrosion or the like. We have had the issue for years, Telus here won't fix squat because it would mean rerunning lines that are corroding and they don't want to spend the money.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:16 PM
Banned

friends in our rural area have had intermitent/no service for the last four years. best telus would do is go out to the road (about 400 yds) and lay a phone line on the ground. telus has been telling them to go away from land lines and use their cells.

doesn't look like telus will even try to fix the problem. friends finally went out and got cell phones......and telus got their way.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
friends in our rural area have had intermitent/no service for the last four years. best telus would do is go out to the road (about 400 yds) and lay a phone line on the ground. telus has been telling them to go away from land lines and use their cells.

doesn't look like telus will even try to fix the problem. friends finally went out and got cell phones......and telus got their way.
We cancelled our land lines years ago and in the last year I bet we've had 30 calls between the wife and I to get our landlines reactivated they were down to 10 bucks a month no long distance the last time.
Their internet is the other one we get a pile of calls to join. Keep asking if their internet is better than fibre optics and then they just kind of hang up.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 09-25-2022, 05:01 PM

Whats a land line most young kids would say .LOL
We are with shaw internet . having that you get free cell service nation wide less data on all cell phones in the house hold .
Old 09-25-2022, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
Have been dealing with insufferable static on Telus land line in Calgary. Has anyone else been noticing this? It has been ongoing for at least three weeks and have done the unplug this, unplug that etc. A technician came out two weeks ago, replaced some connectors and that was only good for a couple days. Apparently “nobody” is using dsl phone filters any more. Have had an e mail into the technician for a week now and no response. Last call was 1.3 hours on hold to get a live body and the technician booked. Next phone call may identical except it will be to Shaw for a change of service. Not sure that Shaw is any better and with the potential sale to Rodgers, who knows. Perhaps they want us off of land lines and into cells.
Is it an aerial line or buried?
How old is your home?
Telus is upgrading a lot of areas to fiber optics
A lot of problems dealing with the bureaucracy within the city of Calgary
A lot more should be completed than what they have done so far
Old 09-25-2022, 05:49 PM

Lines around here are old and some don’t work well, I don’t have cell service at my house so a land line is still important, but I know Telus won’t replace them. Some of my neighbours got set up with home phones that run on wifi when their lines got too bad, but they don’t work when the power goes out
Old 09-25-2022, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Lines around here are old and some don’t work well, I don’t have cell service at my house so a land line is still important, but I know Telus won’t replace them. Some of my neighbours got set up with home phones that run on wifi when their lines got too bad, but they don’t work when the power goes out
Tell them you have a medical condition and you need service incase of an emergency
Old 09-25-2022, 06:10 PM

Default Static

Lines are underground and district is 43 years old. No signs of 5g being installed so it seems Telus will let the old lines ride until that happens.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Tell them you have a medical condition and you need service incase of an emergency
I doubt they would care, they told my 80 yr old neighbour it would cost them too much money to replace any lines.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I doubt they would care, they told my 80 yr old neighbour it would cost them too much money to replace any lines.
I highly highly doubt that was ever said
It is not as much a matter of cost, as much as it is the time required to figure out exactly where the problem is and how to fix it.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I highly highly doubt that was ever said
It is not as much a matter of cost, as much as it is the time required to figure out exactly where the problem is and how to fix it.
That’s what several of my neighbours told me that they had been told, mine still works so I haven’t had that conversation personally
Old 09-25-2022, 07:08 PM

It's actually quite simple if you can get a telus tech to troubleshoot it. My land line had lots of static as well. It turned out to be the splice from my line to the telus line buried along the county road. Just exposed the splice, installed a new connection and the static disappeared. I helped the tech trace it down nothing complicated at all.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
Lines are underground and district is 43 years old. No signs of 5g being installed so it seems Telus will let the old lines ride until that happens.
5G and pure fiber are different things
5G cell phones
Pure fiber is for home services

There’s a few things that a tech can do to try and get rid of the static
Worst case scenario they would have to replace your drop
Old 09-25-2022, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
That’s what several of my neighbours told me that they had been told, mine still works so I haven’t had that conversation personally
I sent you a pm
Old 10-02-2022, 08:59 PM

After an e mail to a marketing manger and action on his part, a second techie booking was made for today, Oct 2, some 2 months after this static thing started. As suspected, the problem was in the wiring from the green box in the alley to the house line. 41 years can do that to a cable. The tech replaced something in the green box, worked over a couple other connects, and the result is a livable 85% improvement. In fairness to Telus, this area is slated for fibre optics in late 2023 so they are caught between replacing old cable and laying the new. However, it seems they are able to do some patching for now but only, it seems, if really pushed. For now, kudos to Telus.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:08 PM

After an e mail to a marketing manger and action on his part, a second techie booking was made for today, Oct 2, some 2 months after this static thing started. As suspected, the problem was in the wiring from the green box in the alley to the house line. 41 years can do that to a cable. The tech replaced something in the green box, worked over a couple other connects, and the result is a livable 85% improvement. In fairness to Telus, this area is slated for fibre optics in late 2023 so they are caught between replacing old cable and laying the new. However, it seems they are able to do some patching for now but only, it seems, if really pushed. For now, kudos to Telus.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:22 PM
Banned

Glad they got it taken care of
Old 10-03-2022, 06:39 AM

We have a Telus land line that is a problem. A cable tech switched us over to a working cable pair 4 weeks ago on our overhead service line. Last week we had rain and now the Optic Tv and internet works intermittently. Telus board is more concerned about dividends and acquisition’s than customer service. They made a huge decision to acquire a company called Lifeworks. They continue to drag their feet on the fibre upgrade and charge full price for intermittent service. Will call them today with usual threats to reduce our monthly bill.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:35 AM

Try a different phone from a friend, put base station in another outlet and /or replace batteries. May be more than the line.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-03-2022, 08:45 AM

You guys have not seen nothing, trouble with our Telus land line. 1)County mowed line half dozen times, 2) CN drove heavy hoes over line 3-4 times, 3) Idiots steal line to sell for copper 5-6 times 4) Boy Scouts mowed line 2-3 times. 5) County grader chewed up line 2-3 times. That is trouble with a land line.