Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-07-2023, 07:55 AM

Default Crossbow guys help

After close to 30 years of bow hunting I’ve decided to switch over to the crossbow due to the ole shoulder issues. Having never really followed xbows and their components, I just jumped in a found a 400fps compound and bought it. The price was reasonable so I didn’t really research it too much. I’ll just give it a whirl. My question is about bolt options?
What are your recommendations in regards to bolt length and weights for a 400fps bow?
I’m not as nimble and quiet as I used to be so I think I’ll be stretching my shots on game from 10yds to closer to 50-60yds nowadays. I plan to use Rage or Spitfire broadheads, just not sure what carbon arrow would be optimal for this bow.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:55 AM

Which make/model of crossbow did you end up getting?
Old 12-07-2023, 11:14 AM

A friend has a fast shooting crossbow and has had several brands of mechanical broadheads fail (not hold up). If it were me, I would go with fixed broadhead.

Regarding arrows, it depend on the specific crossbow you have. Several manufacturers require that you use their specific bolts which have undergone extensive testing to ensure safety and accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2023, 11:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Which make/model of crossbow did you end up getting?
interested too....like the excalibur micro extreme...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-07-2023, 07:03 PM

I bought an Excalibur Bulldog 400, which is supposed to shoot the supplied bolts at 400fps.

I watched a Youtube vid in which the guy suggests shooting longer heavier bolts, and deliberatley sacrificing speed.

Supplied bolts are 18", I bought 20" Carbon Express Piledriver bolts.

I went with 3blade 150gr Excalibur Boltcutter broadheads.
Also using 150gr fieldpoints for practice.

Both chronograph at 330fps.

Last year I shot a bull moose at 40 yards and the bolt just zipped right through that bull moose.

Speed is over-rated, to a point.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-07-2023, 09:30 PM

I was in the same boat and got myself a 400fps Xbow. I bought 20” piledrivers and am not happy with them. I will be going to the manufacturers recommendation and will use 125 grain broadheads. I’m a believer in front heavy and I think I’ll get more speed and energy with the lighter arrow with the 125’s.
Good luck.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:15 PM

I am using three different arrows on my Excalibur crossbows:

Black Eagle Zombie Slayer cut to 17", 415 grs with a 175 gr NAP FOC Broadhead;

Carbon Express Maxima cut to 17", 420 grs with 175 gr NAP FOC Broadhead; and

BloodSport cut to 16", 415grs with a brass insert and a 150 gr Excalibur Boltcutter.

All these arrows will hit the 10 ring at 50 yards, every time, shooting off a bench rest.

My arrows are short and heavy because they work in Excalibur crossbows. crossbows. The NAP FOC mechanical broadhead opens to 3". Delivers a cut like a hatchet. A blind man can follow the blood trail.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cageyc View Post
I was in the same boat and got myself a 400fps Xbow. I bought 20” piledrivers and am not happy with them. I will be going to the manufacturers recommendation and will use 125 grain broadheads. I’m a believer in front heavy and I think I’ll get more speed and energy with the lighter arrow with the 125’s.
Good luck.
@Cagey did you chrony your 20" bolts?
Curious why you don't like them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I am using three different arrows on my Excalibur crossbows:

Black Eagle Zombie Slayer cut to 17", 415 grs with a 175 gr NAP FOC Broadhead;

Carbon Express Maxima cut to 17", 420 grs with 175 gr NAP FOC Broadhead; and

BloodSport cut to 16", 415grs with a brass insert and a 150 gr Excalibur Boltcutter.

All these arrows will hit the 10 ring at 50 yards, every time, shooting off a bench rest.

My arrows are short and heavy because they work in Excalibur crossbows. crossbows. The NAP FOC mechanical broadhead opens to 3". Delivers a cut like a hatchet. A blind man can follow the blood trail.
@CNP I've only practiced to 20 yards but when I got a shot at a bull moose at 40 yards I center-punched his lungs. Perfect broadside shot.

The 3 blade Excalibur broadhead cuts a pretty small hole, seems to me, but the moose was dead in just 50 yards.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker

Last edited by Demonical; 12-08-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
@Cagey did you chrony your 20" bolts?
Curious why you don't like them?

@CNP I've only practiced to 20 yards but when I got a shot at a bull moose at 40 yards I center-punched his lungs. Perfect broadside shot.

The 3 blade Excalibur broadhead cuts a pretty small hole, seems to me, but the moose was dead in just 50 yards.
The NAP FOC broadheads that I use are only for deer sized game. 3" of cut through the thicker hide and bulk of the chest cavity of elk and moose isn't the best match for FOC broadheads. 1 to 1.5 inches of cut is better for elk and moose.
Old 12-09-2023, 05:08 PM

Default Demonical,

Demonical,
My piledriver vanes are falling off. I’m going to a lighter arrow and a heavier broadheads to try to accomplish a faster and harder hitting arrow. Like a 150 grain bullet going faster and hitting harder that a heavier slower bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
I bought an Excalibur Bulldog 400, which is supposed to shoot the supplied bolts at 400fps.

I watched a Youtube vid in which the guy suggests shooting longer heavier bolts, and deliberatley sacrificing speed.

Supplied bolts are 18", I bought 20" Carbon Express Piledriver bolts.

I went with 3blade 150gr Excalibur Boltcutter broadheads.
Also using 150gr fieldpoints for practice.

Both chronograph at 330fps.

Last year I shot a bull moose at 40 yards and the bolt just zipped right through that bull moose.

Speed is over-rated, to a point.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:20 AM

^ Energy = Mass x Velocity (theoretical bull****).

Lighter arrow, more speed you will likely have a flatter trajectory and maybe gain slightly longer max distance.

But it's half a dozen of one half dozen of the other.

In my logic I subscribe to the theory of loading the limbs of the crossbow to prolong the limb life.
Heavier bolts absorb max limb energy, reduce the vibration, as they soak up the limb energy.

And at 330fps, heck that's almost 100fps faster than my old compound bow used to shoot.
I have to put a sheet of 3/4" plywood behind my target butt, when shooting broadheads, they penetrate so deeply.

Cheers, Jim.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-13-2023, 04:26 PM

I picked up a used Wicked Ridge Invader 400. Haven’t laid my hands on it yet as it’s in transport to me. I decided to try some 20” Bloodsport Witness arrows. Plan to use 150 gr heads. Unsure at this time what broadhead. But from what I’ve read they get decent reviews. We’ll see if this bow will like them. I do prefer heavier than lighter arrows as some have mentioned.