Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Rigs for sturgeon?

I'm reading that a few sturgeon are caught on pickeral rigs, is this by accident or is that the preferred setup?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Rigs for sturgeon

Best rig for sturgeon is a single hook with a leader about 24-30 inches with a slip weight. Use a 3/0 hook baited with a worm or small minnow. I use this rig for walleye as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:14 PM
-NDN-

danielson sinker slides work best for the sliding sinkers, added with a bead to protect the knot, this is in case your sinker snags so bad and your using a superline. Then the slide will break releasing the rest of the rig so you dont lose the whole shibang
Old 09-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

Default Rig

A three way rig works good as well, about a 12" dropper to your weight (tied with line about 10 lb test less than your main line) with a 30"snell tied 2/0-4/0 Gakakatsu hook. You can get sturgeon in excess of 50 lbs in the NSR so use equipment to handle a fish that size. I use an 11" foot 20-50 line weight rod and a baitcast reel with 30-40 superline. Leave the standard 7' rod and 14 lb test line at home, you need something strong enough to be able to turn or stop the fish if it makes a run.Depending where you fish you may not be able to chase them down the river, and a sturgeon would surely spool you if you are using too light of equipment. Sturgeon are not that plentifull so you want to be able to get them in as quick as possible and release them without the added stress of a long fight. Good Luck