Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-23-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Barbless Hooks

Has anyone had grief from srd officers about barbed hooks in their tackle boxes, when fishing in alberta, or do you need to pinch all the hooks in your possesion when fishing, not just the one on the line.

thnxs
Old 09-23-2007, 01:01 PM

My understanding is you cannot fish with a barbed hook, nothing about being in possesion of them.
It clearly staes that it is illigal to use a barbed hook, nothing about possesing them.
See for yourself here:

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/fishingregs/

General regulations, first bullet below the it's unlawful to:

There are no absolutes
Old 09-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Default barbless

that was my understanding to, i had heard for a guy who said that you could be fined just for possesing them while fishing which i hadn't heard of before, this guy can tell a few stories when he wants to though , and i was going to call srd on monday to get their response also, since they are the ones writing the ticket. i was wondering if this also would apply to bait such as power bait since i know in the winter i carry the same tackle box, all the time and don't bother going through it before each trip depending where i am going that day.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:58 PM

I have a buddy you was a F&W officer until a couple years ago. I asked him that question last year and he told me that barbed hooks in your tackle box are fine. The only lures you need worry about is the ones tied to your line.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muley300 View Post
that was my understanding to, i had heard for a guy who said that you could be fined just for possesing them while fishing which i hadn't heard of before, this guy can tell a few stories when he wants to though , and i was going to call srd on monday to get their response also, since they are the ones writing the ticket. i was wondering if this also would apply to bait such as power bait since i know in the winter i carry the same tackle box, all the time and don't bother going through it before each trip depending where i am going that day.
I'd be very watchful of advice given by your buddy, he is making it up as he goes.
The regs. are clear, and a quick phone call to SRD will confirm my post.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-23-2007, 07:27 PM

X2 on what bbell said, i have been stopped a number of times and they only checked the rod i was using not any others or my tackle
Old 09-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
i have been stopped a number of times and they only checked the rod i was using not any others or my tackle
X3
Old 09-23-2007, 10:19 PM

X4

But I have been warned about Power Bait in my box, although not in use on a closed to bait river.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:17 AM
-NDN-

x 57576868 barbs in boxes is cool

as Izumi mentioned the powerbait, alot of people dont know you cant use scented plastics in no bait waterbodies. can have them, but not "in use" in the waterbody
Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 AM

I can confirm that powerbait question. If the plastics have been artificially scented they are considered bait. It is okay to have them in your tackle box while fishing a bait banned water body, just not to use them. I was given a written warning on powerbait while fishing the RDR a few years back because I was ignorant of the regs. I did also have minnows in the truck at the time and asked the CO who did say it was fine to have them, just not to use them.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Is it ok?

Is it okay to have them in your box? I was told it was not. A CO told me if bait was in the box that showed 'intent' to use it and that it needed to be kept in the truck.

I brought this up because I found it odd that if I had barbed hooks in my box there was no concern at all that I might intend to use barbed hooks, but if I had bait in the box this demonstrated my intent to use bait!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:50 PM

You raise a good question Izumi, I should really change the wording of my last post to "it was okay with the CO I talked to...". That is what that particular CO told me as I asked that direct question. Maybe a different CO would write you up. I could see a hole in that logic wide enough to drive a boat through.... The regs are not specific in stating if it is okay or not to have bait on your person. We had the bait because we first went to Gull Lake which was way to rough and then drove onto the RDR as our 2nd choice. A call to SRD is best advice to clarify this.