Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Bighorn report from September 16

Another shift at the Horn, and finally come Sunday evening I made it out with rod in hand. Quite the night I had, I managed to land, 1 bull, 1 brown, and 1 brook. Also hooked 4 others but had one heck of a time keeping them hooked, 2 made it to shore but with no waterproof boots, or waders the landing sometimes gets a bit dicey.
All fish were Caught and released.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-22-2007, 08:53 AM

I think those are two bulls and a brown. I don't see any black on them? Nice fish none the less.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:59 AM

Thats good to hear, but the first is a bull, second a brown and third a laker

AKA MAVERICK

Last edited by Lethalconnection; 09-22-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:32 PM

That third fish is a lake trout...Must have made its way up from Abraham Lake...weird.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:14 PM
jrs

Cool catch. Lakers are showing up everywhere over the past few years. A friend of mine caught one fairly low down on the Crowsnest River and i know of another being caught below the Oldman River Reservoir. The only lakers i've ever caught came from a lake with lots of them. They don't concentrate on guys needing to see the difference between lakers and bullies as there rarely found in the same spots. Good eye wazzy, i just scrolled through quickly the first time and missed it myself.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:50 PM

Well well, If I did'nt learn something new today, I thought something was diffrent with the last one, but dismissed the laker theory on some un sound logic.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-22-2007, 10:31 PM
jrs

The guy i know who caught one on the Crowsnest River thought it was a bully until just after he released it, it weighed about 10lbs (he was fishing bullies with big streamers when he caught it). He handled hundreds of fish a year and it still threw him off. If you don't handle certain fish very often it can be easy to overlook the differences. Pretty neat fish though. I have some pictures kicking around somewhere of some interesting brookies i saw this fall, when i come accross them i'll throw them up on here, i had to look twice before deciding what they were. Better save something for winter i guess. I think one was a brookie/bull hybrid and the others, well thats something for this winter when the forum seems a bit slow. Still a cool catch dick284.

jrs
Old 09-23-2007, 01:30 AM
-NDN-

hey Dick, another way of telling laker apart from bullies is Lakers have a deeper forked tail. just in case you run into two of them that have weak coloring