Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 AM

Default Western Fur Tannery issues

Anyone else waiting on furs from western fur tannery?

I have a hide that's supposed to be finished end of October and I haven't been called about it and I sent a email early this week to ask about my hide but no one has replied to the email.

Are they behind again? Is anyone else waiting?
Old 12-06-2019, 11:36 AM

I'd call them. Very easy to ignore e-mails if your flat out busy and can't keep up.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:21 PM

Default Western Fur Tannery issues

Pretty normal from them in my experience. Had a few bears done there. Alway told six months and it ends up being ten or more. Nice work though.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbreath View Post
Pretty normal from them in my experience. Had a few bears done there. Alway told six months and it ends up being ten or more. Nice work though.
Yep, had my bison rug done there. Same experience. I really didn't care though. As said, very nice work.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:27 PM

I did try to call them, but no one picked up. I called on my lunch break so I'm guessing they were on theirs as well.

In the past they have always been quick with emails so I use that more often then not.

I'll give them another month before calling or stopping by I guess.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:06 AM

Default Western Fur Tanneries

i Have had no issues with them, been using them for a few years. Another option would be to send fur to Winnipeg, however you will need an export permit or failing that , Alberta Trappers Association, does ship, however it is my understanding that turn around time is about a year.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:13 PM

Just an update,

After I couldn't get through to someone on the phone in early December, I emailed them. They emailed me back on Dec 6th and essentially said they have a batch of wolves/furs coming up and my wolf should be in that load. They also said they would call someone just to make sure where my wolf was..

It's Jan 17th now and my wolf has not been finished and they haven't contacted me about it since that email. They never contacted me about what the person said that they were going to call to figure out my wolf hide is.

I emailed them back tonight and I'll call on Monday, but I'm curious if anyone else is waiting on hides from them.

It's been 5 and a half months and they said it would be 3 months. I have been told by others this is pretty common for them to say 3 months, but then it ends up being 6 months etc..

IF this is the case, they really need to be honest with themselves and customers about their actual turn around times.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:02 PM
Banned

I’ve never sent anything in to Western but i’ve Been told that a 3 month turn around is pretty optimistic. Six months (or longer) sounds about right. I have to agree that they ought to be upfront with the actual turn around time. Quite the pita especially if you have the fur already sold and the buyer is getting impatient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat27 View Post
i Have had no issues with them, been using them for a few years. Another option would be to send fur to Winnipeg, however you will need an export permit or failing that , Alberta Trappers Association, does ship, however it is my understanding that turn around time is about a year.
It can take up to a year through the ATA depending on when you drop the fur off. They only send fur out for tanning when they have a full box. Take your fur in at the wrong time and it may sit in the ATA for months before it’s shipped. I usually put mine in at the first, last receiving date and get it back in 5 or 6 months.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I’ve never sent anything in to Western but i’ve Been told that a 3 month turn around is pretty optimistic. Six months (or longer) sounds about right. I have to agree that they ought to be upfront with the actual turn around time. Quite the pita especially if you have the fur already sold and the buyer is getting impatient.

It can take up to a year through the ATA depending on when you drop the fur off. They only send fur out for tanning when they have a full box. Take your fur in at the wrong time and it may sit in the ATA for months before it’s shipped. I usually put mine in at the first, last receiving date and get it back in 5 or 6 months.

That's my issue.. I have the wolf essentially sold, but buyer has the right to buy another wolf instead because it's starting to take awhile.. I did not take a deposit and I have told the buyer its at the tannery and I gave him the estimated time it would be done (3 months).
Old 01-18-2020, 09:43 AM

Dropped two bear hides off mid May.
Still no word back from them 8months later....
Old 01-18-2020, 10:36 AM

We dropped off a bear and it took most of a year to get it back. I’m fine with that as it wasn’t a rush and going in they said it would take a year.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:58 AM

I dropped off some fur yesterday. The guys at the shop are awesome. Lots of fur in their display area.

While I don’t agree with quoting unrealistic timelines, I don’t mind waiting a year for a quality job. I looked at their finished product very closely and it is excellent. It’s also a local business....I like supporting local and will pay a couple bucks more for the convenience and the quality, with that said, their prices were competitive. They offer discounts for large batches so get your buddies together and drop a bunch off at a time (we could try and organize it on AO sometime)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
I dropped off some fur yesterday. The guys at the shop are awesome. Lots of fur in their display area.

While I don’t agree with quoting unrealistic timelines, I don’t mind waiting a year for a quality job. I looked at their finished product very closely and it is excellent. It’s also a local business....I like supporting local and will pay a couple bucks more for the convenience and the quality, with that said, their prices were competitive. They offer discounts for large batches so get your buddies together and drop a bunch off at a time (we could try and organize it on AO sometime)

That right there is my point....

I'm fine to wait a long time.. I'm ****ed when I'm told it will be 3 months when they know their average times is more like 8 months.

Say it will be 8 months.. And if its done earlier, the client is very happy..

Say it will be done in 3 months and the client just gets more irratated as the months goes by and when they finally get the hide back, the next time they need a hide done they will look at other options..
Old 01-18-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
That right there is my point....

I'm fine to wait a long time.. I'm ****ed when I'm told it will be 3 months when they know their average times is more like 8 months.

Say it will be 8 months.. And if its done earlier, the client is very happy..

Say it will be done in 3 months and the client just gets more irratated as the months goes by and when they finally get the hide back, the next time they need a hide done they will look at other options..
They told me 4 months....I’ll update when summer rolls around
Old 06-07-2020, 12:24 AM

Default Tanning delays

Hey everyone. The comments are much appreciated. Whether good or bad, they help in assessing what we are doing right and where improvements need to be made. When everything is in line, we are able to move hides in relatively large numbers. Therefore, we are often over confident in our turn around times, but our intent is never to deceive our clients simply to keep more work within our walls. As a small business, it doesn't always take much to shake up our flow and slow us down. The tannery business brings many challenges as there are next to no experienced professionals that can easily be hired on to move production. It takes meticulous training and lots of time before someone can shave your wolf hide or bighorn cape confidently. I'm happy to hear the satisfactory comments regarding the finished product, we have put much effort into this and may be a contributing factor to the increased volume. We are very determined to solve all operational issues to best serve your needs. As of now, we are training aggressively, adding new machinery, installing larger vats, and have expanded 3000 sq.ft. for proper hide storage and organization. We are grateful to those of you that have stuck with us especially during turbulent times. I look forward to seeing you again.

-Stanley

Owner/operator
Western Fur Tannery Ltd.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:50 AM

I dropped off my bear hide with a $600 deposit back in June of 2019. I was told about 6 month wait. It has now been 15 months, and apparently they can not find my bear. I was told last May they would find it for me, but to no avail, it is currently still missing. I left a voicemail last week, and email yesterday, and I have gotten no reply. No luck. ****ty situation, as this was basically a trophy bear for me and my father.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:43 AM

You guys waiting less than a year are lucky. I’ve been waiting over 3 years for a moose hide from them.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
You guys waiting less than a year are lucky. I’ve been waiting over 3 years for a moose hide from them.
The wait is something I can deal with, its the fact they can't even find my bear...Like really? And won't call/email me back. I have free time next week, I think I will just show up there.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:08 PM

I sent 3 wolves to International fur dressers In Winnipeg on July 15 Of this year and received an invoice for a finished product on August 10th. I congratulated them on a speedy job and promised to send more wolves this winter
Something to consider
Old 09-03-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason crozier View Post
I sent 3 wolves to International fur dressers In Winnipeg on July 15 Of this year and received an invoice for a finished product on August 10th. I congratulated them on a speedy job and promised to send more wolves this winter
Something to consider
Appreciate the info