Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Masterbuilt Electric smoker

Done a fair amount of research on electric smokers, and finally settled on wanting to get the Masterbuilt 40 Bluetooth, Gen # 2.5 for a few reasons: 1, reputation in the cold seems to be superior. 2, gen 2.5 had a new better venting location for even heat. 3, Has 6 racks which I feel would be beneficial for large jerky batches.

The problem i've ran into is finding somewhere that sells this model, anybody have any insight as to where to look locally for this? I've googled as long as I can handle and all I seem to come up with is the older styles. Or, any suggestion on something similar?

Regards,
Old 12-05-2019, 11:04 AM

And locally would be?????????????????????????????????????
Old 12-05-2019, 11:18 AM

Plan on getting the add-on cold smoker box also. About 100.00.
I burn apple branch's in it 3" round buy 12" long = about 10 hours of smoke.
Otherwise about 45 minutes with the chip tray.
On a new unit I would solder the burner connections when new.
Corrosion on those connections is the only issue I have had in 6 years.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
And locally would be?????????????????????????????????????
Important information I left out there sorry! I'm located in Calgary
Old 12-05-2019, 12:06 PM

I have seen Masterbuilt smokers in Bass Pro/Cabelas but not sure if that model was there. I'm sure there is a hardware store in town that carries them. The specialty BBQ stores typically carry higher end smokers from what I have seen.
I'm interested in your experience with this style of smoker as I am looking at cabinet style smokers for hanging sausage/pepperoni.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:09 PM

My advice on electric smokers is buy a large capacity with the biggest burner analog model use a bluetooth Tempro to monitor the temperature.

I haven't seen a digital model without problems I've had experience with Masterbuilt, Bradly and Pit boss none of them were accurate my BIL has a smoke hollow bluetooth it only works within 20 ft of the unit.

I'm smoking some Kielbasa as I write my Temp pro reads 145 the Pit Boss digital reads 185?

Just my 2 cents on digital smokers
Old 12-05-2019, 01:19 PM

I concur That you want at least the 6 rack model, as the 4 rack model are not very big inside. I have a masterbilt 30” digital electric and it is great for cooking, smoking at 250+/- for brisket, pork shoulders. Never used it for sausage or jerky but suspect achieving the consistent temperature control (170F maximum) would be a challenge. I have a much larger smoker unit with an Auber controller which has precise temperature control and is excellent for sausage. Jerky I now make in the kitchen oven. 10 lb batches, marinate 12 to 24 hrs, put on racks and into oven to cook over night. Pretty much put it in, crack oven door open with a fork, and forget it till next morning. Easie peasie and never fails. House smells great.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
My advice on electric smokers is buy a large capacity with the biggest burner analog model use a bluetooth Tempro to monitor the temperature.

I haven't seen a digital model without problems I've had experience with Masterbuilt, Bradly and Pit boss none of them were accurate my BIL has a smoke hollow bluetooth it only works within 20 ft of the unit.

I'm smoking some Kielbasa as I write my Temp pro reads 145 the Pit Boss digital reads 185?

Yep,,, good advice above ^^^

I have a 30" digital Masterbuilt without a glass door (lose heat, can't see anything except smoke anyway)

I run an igrill 2 with my smoker (https://www.weber.com/CA/en/accessor...mers/7203.html which is capable of monitoring 4 probes. I run 3 in food, one as an ambient smoker temperature. Depending on outside weather, the difference between smoker "temperature" and my igrill ambient temperature probe can be as much as 20° off. I will set the smoker cooking temperature based on the igrill ambient probe, then monitor for temperatures with the igrill as well. Plus, the igrill BT range is phenomenal! Smoker sits on the deck, and the igrill transmits up to my bonus room, 50 feet away and 2 floors. The igrill also allows keeping the door closed, which also helps with heat.

As an added function, I have an older tin smoker that I use as a windbreak for the Masterbuilt in windy, cold conditions. It really helps the smoker reach and maintain temperature.

J.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:21 PM

I was debating between a masterbuilt and the pit boss .. went with the pit boss vertical 5 series .. absolutely love it .. just my 2 cents ..
Old 12-05-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

That’s some sound advice thanks. What is your Bradley experience with the pucks? Not too concerned about the price of them as most seem to be, chips just seem more natural to me for some reason. Reading a lot on the Bradley having a hard time being temperature stable as well. Any feedback on your pit boss as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Yep,,, good advice above ^^^

I have a 30" digital Masterbuilt without a glass door (lose heat, can't see anything except smoke anyway)

I run an igrill 2 with my smoker (https://www.weber.com/CA/en/accessor...mers/7203.html which is capable of monitoring 4 probes. I run 3 in food, one as an ambient smoker temperature. Depending on outside weather, the difference between smoker "temperature" and my igrill ambient temperature probe can be as much as 20° off. I will set the smoker cooking temperature based on the igrill ambient probe, then monitor for temperatures with the igrill as well. Plus, the igrill BT range is phenomenal! Smoker sits on the deck, and the igrill transmits up to my bonus room, 50 feet away and 2 floors. The igrill also allows keeping the door closed, which also helps with heat.

As an added function, I have an older tin smoker that I use as a windbreak for the Masterbuilt in windy, cold conditions. It really helps the smoker reach and maintain temperature.

J.

Good point on the glass, I tell homeowners all day long that their windows will always be a cold spot but never thought about it in this application do you find that your 30 inch keeps a consistent heat in all areas or hotter one side or the other?

Old 12-05-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
I was debating between a masterbuilt and the pit boss .. went with the pit boss vertical 5 series .. absolutely love it .. just my 2 cents ..

Good to know, the only reason I hadn’t really considered them is I couldn’t find a lot of review on that brand.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain91 View Post
That’s some sound advice thanks. What is your Bradley experience with the pucks? Not too concerned about the price of them as most seem to be, chips just seem more natural to me for some reason. Reading a lot on the Bradley having a hard time being temperature stable as well. Any feedback on your pit boss as well?

The Bradley worked well when it worked, broke down a lot they charge $15 shipping to send a fusible link (a wire) $15 for a micro switch etc. the 500 watt burner is not to good in our climate, needs insulation I built a shack to keep it warm installed a second burner to make it work, I didn't like the way the pucks only burns halfway before being pushed into the water dish.

I sold the unit and bought a Pit boss digital 3, it's a powerful unit 1600 watt burner no problem down to 10 below although I haven't tried any lower yet, no moving parts. The downside is the temperature control is inaccurate out by 20-50 degs.

I use a thermpro to monitor and adjust temperature to match what I want, not bad when cooking shoulders or briskets you set it once and leave it at lower temps its a guessing game trying to nudge up the temperature.

To get the chips burning the burner has to be set to a higher temperature, too high for sausage I use a A-maz-n smoke tube to generate smoke. It's a digital I use like the analog I should have bought. Tip... Bradley racks fit perfect use two on each rack (one inverted) doubles capacity. Outstanding customer service sent me a different control box and sensor instead of being out 50 degs the new ones only out 20.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:13 AM
Banned

I got the 40" with the glass door. I wish it didn't have a glass door but whatever.

Got it at cabelas on sale last boxing day.

My thing that I don't like is that when it's cold it is too cold to start so I start the wood chips with a hand torch and put it in and close the door and it gets to the required 35F or so and starts no problem. Idk if that's all of them or if that's just mine lol.

It works well though thats for sure.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Good point on the glass, I tell homeowners all day long that their windows will always be a cold spot but never thought about it in this application do you find that your 30 inch keeps a consistent heat in all areas or hotter one side or the other?

My 30" has no glass in the front (solid door) and I haven't noticed it cooler one side VS the other, with the exception of maybe the North side getting cooler due to wind perhaps? But the old tin wind break I mentioned takes that factor out of the equation. I do know that *usually* all smokers will have temperature "zones" - top being a little cooler than the bottom as the burners for all smokers (propane and electric) will most likely be on the bottom side, so naturally the food closer to the burner will get more heat applied.

You mentioned looking at a BT model. Any reason why the BT over a non-BT? The only reason I ask is that unless it's a Bradley, you'll be out there anyway, changing out/adding chips so I can't see the advantage of the BT - just something else digital to fail maybe? I'm out at mine at least once an hour.

I do however, like the insulation on mine. My hunting partner has a Masterbuilt propane model and while the propane definitely puts out more heat quicker, there's no insulation on his (tin walls) so when he opens the door to load meat / change chips the drop in smoker temperature is incredibly fast and seems to take longer to come back up to cooking temps. My door opens and I lose the same amount of heat, but because of the insulated walls, the smoker seems to hold residual heat and come back up to cooking temps faster? But that's just personal opinion / observation....

J.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:

I didn't find much difference with the window it's a option to see what's happening onside without opening the door after the unit fills with smoke you can't see much anyway.
Cleaning the glass is easy spray with rubbing alcohol scrape with a razor blade. The heat loss through glass wouldn't be much different than 1/2" of insulation covered with two layers of metal R2 opposed to R1? I installed an Auber fan works well to eliminate hot spots.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:07 AM

If your going to get a Masterbuilt smoker you should also get either a A-maze-N pellet tray or tube ( https://www.amazon.ca/A-MAZE-N-AMNPS...s%2C226&sr=8-3 or https://www.amazon.ca/Amazen-Pellet-...s%2C226&sr=8-4 ) These also give you the option to cold smoke cheeses and other things. These run on pellets which I find burn much more evenly and are cheaper to buy.

When you use the included chip tray it produces higher heat swings and uneven smoke. The tube or tray virtually eliminate that. Of course you still have uneven heat because the heating element is not centered. Six trays might sound like a good idea but you will have to open the smoker much more often to rotate the trays. I usually only run 3 trays unless I'm doing my yearly 25 pound jerky runs after hunting season.

If your worried about the glass door you can purchase some fiberglass insulation and duct tape cheap. Just cover the glass only but try to leave a little viewing window.

Lastly you might want to change the electrical connections at the burner before you start smoking as they will fail eventually. They will fail faster if you are using the supplied chip tray as the heating element is tripping on and off more. Home Hardware sells replacement stove wires for $12 for 2 sets. So far those have lasted me 4 years with no signs of corrosion.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-06-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
My 30" has no glass in the front (solid door) and I haven't noticed it cooler one side VS the other, with the exception of maybe the North side getting cooler due to wind perhaps? But the old tin wind break I mentioned takes that factor out of the equation. I do know that *usually* all smokers will have temperature "zones" - top being a little cooler than the bottom as the burners for all smokers (propane and electric) will most likely be on the bottom side, so naturally the food closer to the burner will get more heat applied.

You mentioned looking at a BT model. Any reason why the BT over a non-BT? The only reason I ask is that unless it's a Bradley, you'll be out there anyway, changing out/adding chips so I can't see the advantage of the BT - just something else digital to fail maybe? I'm out at mine at least once an hour.

I do however, like the insulation on mine. My hunting partner has a Masterbuilt propane model and while the propane definitely puts out more heat quicker, there's no insulation on his (tin walls) so when he opens the door to load meat / change chips the drop in smoker temperature is incredibly fast and seems to take longer to come back up to cooking temps. My door opens and I lose the same amount of heat, but because of the insulated walls, the smoker seems to hold residual heat and come back up to cooking temps faster? But that's just personal opinion / observation....

J.

The only reason I was thinking the Bluetooth model was a thorough review I read on smokingmeatforums on the 3 different masterbuilt models. The 2.5 Bluetooth version had a few updates that helped it control internal heat balancing much better than previous models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2019, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the input everyone, just thought I’d update. I bought the MES140 as its on sale at Bass Pro currently, seasoned it tonight and looking forward to figuring out how to smoke some jerky! I also bought the AMAZN tray to assist with more smoke if needed.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post

My thing that I don't like is that when it's cold it is too cold to start so I start the wood chips with a hand torch and put it in and close the door and it gets to the required 35F or so and starts no problem. Idk if that's all of them or if that's just mine lol.

My first one had problem starting too. I used to put a sauce pan of hot water in for a few minutes to get it going. That one died and its replacement starts just fine.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
My first one had problem starting too. I used to put a sauce pan of hot water in for a few minutes to get it going. That one died and its replacement starts just fine.
I'm gonna wait till this one dies and look at other brands
Old 12-29-2019, 01:50 PM

Been having issues with my master built 30.

Back right corner where the chip tray gets extremely hot and burns the food.

Thinking of putting a heat plate back there to deflect the direct heat away.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
I got the 40" with the glass door. I wish it didn't have a glass door but whatever.

Got it at cabelas on sale last boxing day.

Clarification as I am not familiar with this model.
Are you saying the electronics do not start until a certain temp and only then the burner element engages?
Old 12-29-2019, 07:39 PM

I have a 4 tray masterbuilt. ~2014 vintage. Digital but non BT

Works ok but until it gets cold out. I have wrapped it and it helps.
I have bought a used convection oven fan as mentioned a few weeks ago in a different post. $20.

I am going to build an insulated box out of some polyurethane/metal scraps. Plan to make it big enough to house a 6 tray Bradley if this guy ever quits.
Plan is to also have tires/wheels under the box for easy moving.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Are you saying the electronics do not start until a certain temp and only then the burner element engages?
The element won't start heating if it's too cold
Old 12-30-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
My first one had problems starting in cool weather but my second one works just fine.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:09 AM

I Just got the 140mes as well so far so good. at this point I only have done hot smoked stuff. The one thing I have noticed is you need way less chips than you think (for me I am upgrading from a big chief) . it only takes a couple of doses when the system is clamped down.

I do plan on buying the cold smoker attachment it seems smoke generation at the low end can get spotty. I do want to do cheese and bacon at some point.

next on the list is a nasty tough (assumed all the other in-law beef has been) cross rib roast. First step is 2 day in the sous vide bath ( Santa was heavy on kitchen gadgets this year) , then shock cool it and finished it in the smoker to give it a nice smokey crust.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I Just got the 140mes as well so far so good. at this point I only have done hot smoked stuff. The one thing I have noticed is you need way less chips than you think (for me I am upgrading from a big chief) . it only takes a couple of doses when the system is clamped down.

I do plan on buying the cold smoker attachment it seems smoke generation at the low end can get spotty. I do want to do cheese and bacon at some point.

next on the list is a nasty tough (assumed all the other in-law beef has been) cross rib roast. First step is 2 day in the sous vide bath ( Santa was heavy on kitchen gadgets this year) , then shock cool it and finished it in the smoker to give it a nice smokey crust.

Not sure if you’ve done much research on the cold smoking or not (or just adding more smoke in general) but I’d suggest looking into the “mailbox mod”. Total cost of material plus the AMAZN tray is likely the same or close to the cold smoking attachment. From what I’ve read you get a much higher quality smoke as well as it helps filter and collect creosote before the smoke is piped in.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the tip , I have a nasty diy bug so home build is my preference
Old 12-31-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Thanks for the tip , I have a nasty diy bug so home build is my preference

No problem. This was the thread I found most useful for information.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/th...-twist.258297/