Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
Yeah when you figure in associated costs, it makes sense. Consider the wages of the people needed to watch over them. We don't need guards in our homes!

It's still not a great deal for those of us footing the bill

Maybe an "open" prison right on the north pole.........no guards, supplies dropped from a plain every "X" number of days. That would reduce costs and I'm sure the local polar bears would enjoy helping out with the occasional escapee............
Didn’t the Russians try that after WWII?
Old 12-05-2019, 06:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
Yeah when you figure in associated costs, it makes sense. Consider the wages of the people needed to watch over them. We don't need guards in our homes!

It's still not a great deal for those of us footing the bill

Maybe an "open" prison right on the north pole.........no guards, supplies dropped from a plain every "X" number of days. That would reduce costs and I'm sure the local polar bears would enjoy helping out with the occasional escapee............
I think locking them in stocks at the local mall might have a better result and cost a lot less.

One week to one month sentences, with the crime clearly posted on a sign over the prisoner.

The thing is locking them in prison gives no incentive to change because no one outside the system knows who went to prison or why.

Knowing that all your neighbors know what you did is a powerful motive for change.

Of course it would only make sense for misdemeanor crimes. But they make up the majority of prison sentences.

And it would only work if people would give them every reasonable chance to prove they had changed.

It would also cut off the criminal to criminal schooling a prison facilitates.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-05-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
in japan the prison population are getting older , cause seniors find that they get better health/personal care and food in prison ..

https://www.businessinsider.com/japa...-prison-2018-3
Some of us might be tempted to sign up, better care than outside the "walls". Front of the line, whatever ails you.

Grizz
Old 12-05-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
And if you willing break the law are you not putting those right in jeopardy?
That would seem to be the proper way of looking at it. If you can’t follow the laws of society why do you deserve the rights?

I had an uncle who did a year a while ago. He said it was a pretty decent break from the rat race, didn’t have to worry about anything and lots of activities to keep a guy occupied. Free education coarses ect. He’s a bachelor with no responsibility and said he wouldn’t mind going back again.

I think criminals should come out with a fear of ever having to return.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
That would seem to be the proper way of looking at it. If you can’t follow the laws of society why do you deserve the rights?

I had an uncle who did a year a while ago. He said it was a pretty decent break from the rat race, didn’t have to worry about anything and lots of activities to keep a guy occupied. Free education coarses ect. He’s a bachelor with no responsibility and said he wouldn’t mind going back again.

That is terrifying.

I would be horrified of a 4x8 cell with the door locked on the outside.

Prison should never be looked at as anything but hell on earth minus of course abuse, prisoners have proven that recidivisim is guaranteed because of this exact notion; aw you poor thing here read a book watch tv and play basketball.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post

For many it's a better life then they had on the outside. For someone like me it would be like living in Stephen Hawking's body.

In school we did a prison tour, we each got handcuffed, finger printed and locked in a cell. It still gives me chills to think about the sound of that door clanging shut behind me. I would rather die then go through that again.

Some of my school chums said it reminded them of home and I think they meant it. That is scary.
But what do you do to a guy who got locked in his room for days at a time and beaten almost every day when he was young? The only prison that would scare him would have to be worse then what he had already lived through. It would be worse then inhumane.

I've seen guys like that break down and bawl like a baby when they learned that one person in the world actually cared about them.

No one is born a criminal. Criminals are made by the circumstances they grew up with. How do you counter that? Clearly punishment is not the answer. And promising a pardon that does nothing isn't the answer either.

I don't know what will work, I only know that what we are doing does not work. The few who do change, do so despite a system that does nothing but lock them away for a while.

No amount schooling or training is going to help when the system and society says once a criminal always a criminal. Without hope there is no incentive to change.

I feel for the police who are caught in the middle of this broken system.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-06-2019, 07:45 PM

I had it wrong- they say someone is arrested every 2.5 seconds!

In the time it took for me to type this, 8 people were arrested!!! WOW LOSERS!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-06-2019, 10:17 PM

They are claiming that 12,600,000 arrests are made yearly.

That is just such a staggering number, hard to comprehend.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I had it wrong- they say someone is arrested every 2.5 seconds!

In the time it took for me to type this, 8 people were arrested!!! WOW LOSERS!
Wow, that’s profound!

It doesn't matter if the are being charged with anything and convicted? They became losers in your eyes the moment they got arrested. Ooohkay.

Sorry man, I don’t mean to pick on you tonight, nor am I chasing you around, but I red some of your older posts and you seemed to make a lot more sense.

This bourbon sip is for you, Cheers!

Last edited by RO CC; 12-06-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:12 AM

I bet there is a way in the system that everyone in the country could screw the system and bring it to its knees. The rebate system has to have a flaw that everyone could capitalize on at the same time on that they’re not ready for. Who’s good at finding flaws in the fine print? The flaws need to be exposed
Old 12-07-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO CC View Post
Wow, that’s profound!

It doesn't matter if the are being charged with anything and convicted? They became losers in your eyes the moment they got arrested. Ooohkay.

Sorry man, I don’t mean to pick on you tonight, nor am I chasing you around, but I red some of your older posts and you seemed to make a lot more sense.

This bourbon sip is for you, Cheers!
Watch the show.

I have never been arrested or detained. How about you?

The people highlighted in the show are losers.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Watch the show.

I have never been arrested or detained. How about you?

The people highlighted in the show are losers.
I don’t think I’d learn anything new, nor find it entertaining. But thanks for the offer.

Me, yes, I have been arrested a couple of times, back in the high school, for political reasons. Not fun!

Cheers!
Old 12-07-2019, 12:37 PM

You are right, it is nothing more than entertaining.
I have learned a couple things about the USA I didn't know.
Most of the show is just sad, some of it is funny, and it makes you wonder if the Officer's are that cordial when the cameras are not running.
Just the numbers alone are staggering, millions of hours of camera time daily. MILLIONS!

I always led a very boring home life, lived scared chitless of a 4x8.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:16 PM

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 12-07-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Lol. Tinted windows and speeding.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

Old 12-19-2019, 01:28 PM

Default Armed bystander decides to pull on armed robbers

Just watched episode 8, a man was in a store that was being robbed. Being a concealed weapons carrier he drew down, unloaded at the 2 criminals and they killed him.

Carrying does not always work.

I freely admit I am starting to lean towards carry, I am now at about 1.9% for. I was 100% against until recently.

I also do not believe that these thefts are the result of hundreds of thousands of lost jobs recently, those people are selling assets, on EI, reducing debt and looking for work. These people are just the lowest of the scum knowing there is no punishment for them.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

Biggest bust in Camrose history went down today.
Thank you Camrose police for making it a little safer out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2019, 04:34 PM

not quite a LOL, def not a ROFL or LMAO, but I smiled.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:04 PM

Fordtruckn I am watching the top 20 LivePD right now, the first one is Missoula!

Old 12-19-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
The general jist of the article is that it takes more training to become a barber than a police officer in the States.
Pointing a radar gun is much simpler that artistically manipulating a pair of scissors.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Fordtruckn I am watching the top 20 LivePD right now, the first one is Missoula!
Haha which episode? 2 of my good friends have been featured on that show as game wardens and a few other deputies that I know and have been to training with etc... 99.9% of law enforcement are in it for the right reasons and are good down to earth polite people. its the small percentage who get all the publicity making it appear as its the other way around. Similar to gun violence. at an all time low yet the media and politicians portray it as an endemic.

Quote:
Just watched episode 8, a man was in a store that was being robbed. Being a concealed weapons carrier he drew down, unloaded at the 2 criminals and they killed him.

Carrying does not always work.

I freely admit I am starting to lean towards carry, I am now at about 1.9% for. I was 100% against until recently.

I also do not believe that these thefts are the result of hundreds of thousands of lost jobs recently, those people are selling assets, on EI, reducing debt and looking for work. These people are just the lowest of the scum knowing there is no punishment for them.
The problem with carrying Ken is just like those that hunt. Many people do but not many people practice! PLUS you add stress and multiple targets it doesn't surprise me. Tunnel vision, auditory exclusion etc... all set in and people who are not prepared generally do not fare well.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:47 PM

I gotta say the Yankees handle the losers so much better than Canada, after watching countless hours of LivePD they basically all get the same; Minimum $1000 fine for stupidity, lots go to jail, very few get a free ride.
They also do not discriminate or give free rides based on skin color.

Canada take note! If you are going to stop, collect some money.

Mind you they never seem to learn in the States either, the lists of warrants, arrests and felonies is ridiculous.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:06 PM

LIVE RIGHT NOW IN MISSOULA!!!!

FordTruckin you there???

(Sheriff) CPT Burt seems like a good guy.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 01-03-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
LIVE RIGHT NOW IN MISSOULA!!!!

FordTruckin you there???

(Sheriff) CPT Burt seems like a good guy.
Haha nope!
Old 01-04-2020, 08:57 AM

Default Canadian prisons

Research Canadian Minimum Security Facilities.
Since I work at one, you will be amazed or pizzed off where your tax dollars are spent.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:59 PM

Just saw on Live PD

over 100,000 speeding tickets are written DAILY in the States!!!

36 and a half million speeding tickets alone!!!

wow