Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 06:33 PM
Banned

Default Can we talk...IMPLANTS....dental, guys, dental

Am considering looking into going the dental implant route..Have a few individual already but should prob. do them all. I haven't gone in for any consultation yet so am wondering if anyone here has had them all done..
Who, where, and how much did your work cost..realizing there variables..
I have no dental plan other than basic bluecross, which I don't imagine they will cover much but will just have to bite the bullet and thank goodness for twist off caps (beer) ..ha
Old 12-06-2019, 06:46 PM

Prefer large c to d cup, myself.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:36 PM

Had one of my upper incisors done about 6 years ago, total about 5 grand there abouts all done. That was dental choice just off whyte ave in Edmonton. I'd be shopping around though as I feel I paid way too much and I'm not even super impressed...its passable, but not amazing work
Old 12-06-2019, 07:41 PM

I know a lot of guys go to mexico to get them done. Germany has tech to take stem cells and grow new teeth in your mouth. Also, you might try the university. Most times you only pay cost of materials.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:51 AM

If you already have a "few individual" implants, they can be used to anchor a set of dentures
Old 12-07-2019, 10:36 AM

There are Mexican vacation packages that include trips to get dental work done, travel agency get kickbacks.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I know a lot of guys go to mexico to get them done. Germany has tech to take stem cells and grow new teeth in your mouth. Also, you might try the university. Most times you only pay cost of materials.

I don’t mean to pick on you, but this advise ranges from misleading to downright false.

Mexico produces some fair quality work, but a lot of regrets and poor quality as well.

New teeth have never been grown in a human mouth, in Germany or anywhere else. This may be what confused you: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0911132046.htm

The University (of Alberta) offers great dental care, at a reasonable price. You pay for it, mainly, through your time. It is a teaching institution, and a full mouth of implants in well out of their scope of practice.

My advice to the OP: If you already have a few implants, go to a reputable dentist and ask him/her for advice. No credible dentist will tell you to remove your remaining teeth and replace them all with single, stand alone implants.

If you do require removal of all your natural teeth, the better scenario is to place four well-positioned implants in each dental arch (4 in the maxilla and 4 in the mandible) and then either replace your teeth with a removable denture that uses the implants as locators to stabilize it, or (better yet) a fixed appliance that is screwed into the implants and remains fixed in place.

My discussion with patients that require a dental clearance is typically to remove the teeth and start with a complete lower and upper denture. The upper denture typically has good support and stability due to the suction on the palate. The lower is often less stable and may require implants to stabilize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 04:26 PM

I got implants for my bottom dentures. Was told I would need 6 on the bottom by the thief denturist....
Went to see the man that put the implants in and he pulled all my lower teeth too.
Told me to go with two implants and they would be all I would need.
Couldn't be happier.

Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 12-07-2019, 04:53 PM

had a couple implants , 5 crowns replaced and a couple root canals done in Puerta Vallarta Mexico 5 years ago. No problems and my Lethbridge dentist says work was well done. Mexico dentistry is all about doing your research .
Old 12-07-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakken View Post
I got implants for my bottom dentures. Was told I would need 6 on the bottom by the thief denturist....
Went to see the man that put the implants in and he pulled all my lower teeth too.
Told me to go with two implants and they would be all I would need.
Couldn't be happier.

Ken.
I got two on the bottom. Glad I did, apples corn on the cob tough steak, bring it on. Just regular dentures on top as upper implants would require 4 @ 5 grand a pop so I'll stick with what I have.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I don’t mean to pick on you, but this advise ranges from misleading to downright false.

Mexico produces some fair quality work, but a lot of regrets and poor quality as well.

New teeth have never been grown in a human mouth, in Germany or anywhere else. This may be what confused you: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0911132046.htm

The University (of Alberta) offers great dental care, at a reasonable price. You pay for it, mainly, through your time. It is a teaching institution, and a full mouth of implants in well out of their scope of practice.

My advice to the OP: If you already have a few implants, go to a reputable dentist and ask him/her for advice. No credible dentist will tell you to remove your remaining teeth and replace them all with single, stand alone implants.

If you do require removal of all your natural teeth, the better scenario is to place four well-positioned implants in each dental arch (4 in the maxilla and 4 in the mandible) and then either replace your teeth with a removable denture that uses the implants as locators to stabilize it, or (better yet) a fixed appliance that is screwed into the implants and remains fixed in place.

My discussion with patients that require a dental clearance is typically to remove the teeth and start with a complete lower and upper denture. The upper denture typically has good support and stability due to the suction on the palate. The lower is often less stable and may require implants to stabilize it.

Sounds like your someone AO members should hire? Seems like you have a ton of knowledge?

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-07-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Excellent advice - this is your health and your teeth after all - something you will need for the rest of your life .......... not a time to be price shopping unless it's a financial necessity IMO.

Had a few implants done, used Donnison Dental in Edmonton (Laurier Heights) and, although insurance covered it, it invoiced out at roughly $1200/tooth if memory serves me correctly.

Both my plan, and my wifes plan luckily covered 50% each - to get 100% coverage - so we were fortunate. Saved my almost $5K for 4 implants.

The results are fantastic. Much better looking, and no issues. That was 6 or 7 years ago.

Last edited by EZM; 12-07-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:15 PM

implants in Lethbridge are running at $ 3500.00 to $ 4,000.00 per tooth these days depending on the dentist.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:43 PM

Phoenix Arizona has some good deals on implants, a lot cheaper than here. When I had a house there, I had met quite a few people, who had gone down to Mexico for dental work, and never once heard of any regrets.
My 2c
JH
Old 12-09-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I got two on the bottom. Glad I did, apples corn on the cob tough steak, bring it on. Just regular dentures on top as upper implants would require 4 @ 5 grand a pop so I'll stick with what I have.
Mine were 1800 apiece for the implants. Have had my tops for 41 years and was told if they fit good don't need implants. Had all kinds of crazy high costs for implants thrown out there when I was looking to get it done.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 12-12-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Am considering looking into going the dental implant route..Have a few individual already but should prob. do them all. I haven't gone in for any consultation yet so am wondering if anyone here has had them all done..
Who, where, and how much did your work cost..realizing there variables..
I have no dental plan other than basic bluecross, which I don't imagine they will cover much but will just have to bite the bullet and thank goodness for twist off caps (beer) ..ha
I got one implant on the lower jaw some years back. I live north of Edmonton and went to Leigh Smile Center in Westlock on the recommendation of a friend. I also went to a clinic in Edmonton.

The Edmonton appraisal was $6,000+

Total for implant and crown at Leigh Smile Center was around $4,000 and I'm very happy with it.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 12-12-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:

So, just out of curiosity, what does this cost , the main reason people are forced to take the Mexican option ?

Grizz