Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Default Cabelas bass pro merger

Last night on Fox News Tucker Carlson talked about why Cabelas sold to Bass pro. They did not need to sell but were forced to by a shady investment group that practices vulture capitalism. The town of Sidney Nebraska was devastated by the sale,another rich guy making millions at the expense of others. I though it was an interesting piece of news, I don’t know how to post links, but it’s easy for anyone to search- Tucker Carlson Paul Singer
Old 12-04-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Last night on Fox News Tucker Carlson talked about why Cabelas sold to Bass pro. They did not need to sell but were forced to by a shady investment group that practices vulture capitalism. The town of Sidney Nebraska was devastated by the sale,another rich guy making millions at the expense of others. I though it was an interesting piece of news, I don’t know how to post links, but it’s easy for anyone to search- Tucker Carlson Paul Singer
The meter happened almost 18 months ago, I thought.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-04-2019, 09:55 AM

It did, the article explains why
Old 12-04-2019, 10:14 AM

vulture capitalism.

That's what's destroying the economy.

Grizz
Old 12-04-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
^ I think that's a clear indication as to why mainstream media is failing me right now. I have no trust in anything the media says right now - can't even get the weather correct some days.

Remember when the media reported the news and not made the news their next rating review item? It's all about holding us as viewers for that unrelenting 15 minutes of fame..... But now it's turned to 15 seconds of fame, before the next BIG story comes along at a faster rate.....

J.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
^ I think that's a clear indication as to why mainstream media is failing me right now. I have no trust in anything the media says right now - can't even get the weather correct some days.
I get your frustration but I can’t see how Fox is the antidote. I wouldn’t be even slightly surprised to hear this story got pushed because Singer swiped Rupet’s proffered tee time! Wouldn’t be the first time he used One of his outlets to settle a grudge.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:19 PM

Default The Medium is the message.

Ironically its probably taken decades for many to realize the implications of this when it comes to mainstream media.

"The Medium is the message."
That was one of those old Canadian Broadcasting Council commercials. Likely created by some of the last credible folks employed there just before they retired. The basis of this being: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_medium_is_the_message

Eisenhower sounded the alarm about the military industrial complex in 1961, and even the most feeble minded of us can see where that has led us today.

By the same standards the former broadcasters themselves warned us about mainstream media, long before the inception of its abuse.

Last edited by Foonus; 12-04-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:27 PM

Fox news is like the national inquirer, 5% reality and 95% fabrication, selling sensationalism, I have not turned on the fox news channel in years and never will, turns my stomach.

Having said that I am sure that there was big money involved and big money made, the rich don't give a hoot about anything but money and more money

Just my opinion

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Fox news is like the national inquirer, 5% reality and 95% fabrication, selling sensationalism, I have not turned on the fox news channel in years and never will, turns my stomach.

Having said that I am sure that there was big money involved and big money made, the rich don't give a hoot about anything but money and more money

Just my opinion
Haha I suppose your a CNN guy then.... all of them sell 5% reality and 95% sensationalism.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Haha I suppose your a CNN guy then.... all of them sell 5% reality and 95% sensationalism.
Nope don't watch CNN either, just watch the local news, they have 1/2 hr before the local news comes on that is world news and that enough for me, anymore than that and it wrecks my supper

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:14 AM

Cabela's was overextended through expansion and family members wanting out, Activist investor unhappy with growth of sales, Bass Pro looking for an opportunity to corner the market segment - they all had a part.
It's called free enterprise, a Wild West show, and there are winners and losers, not only in Sidney, Nebraska.
Bass Pro is probably choking on the debt that they assumed, since sales decline in hunting and outdoors segment has persisted.
The huge investment that Bass Pro made has to be recouped somehow. It is not surprising that cost cutting at Cabela's, and cheaper quality goods are the result.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:07 AM

Founders, Dick and Mary were in their mid-70s and the kids did not want the business. What would you do in that situation?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:59 AM

Smile Take the money and run

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbeast View Post
Founders, Dick and Mary were in their mid-70s and the kids did not want the business. What would you do in that situation?
The same thing that any farming family, or privately owned business would do, sell to the highest bidder and walk away happy.
Once you sell a thing, it is no longer your concern.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-04-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbeast View Post
I call BS... The year before the merger, the company turned a $2 billion profit from $4 billion in sales.

This is the story in question, and of all the MSM hosts - Tucker Carlson is about as strait-shooting as they get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UatnTSwEUoc

Old 02-04-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
I call BS... The year before the merger, the company turned a $2 billion profit from $4 billion in sales.

This is the story in question, and of all the MSM hosts - Tucker Carlson is about as strait-shooting as they get.

As far as MSM, that is not saying much. But Tucker spins things just like the rest. He would not have that time slot on Fox if he didn’t.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post

After reading your numbers of $2 billion in profits on $4 billion in revenues, 50% net profit, I was skeptical. These would be amazing numbers I have never seen before in any business like that ….. wow ….. however ….. this is not the case ….

I don't doubt for a minute this was reported on FOX ….. they are almost as full of crap as the Rebel or Brietbart with those extraordinary numbers …

anyhow ….

Cabela's last year of filing, before merger, had $ 4 billion in revenues with 146.9 million in profits - closer to 3% not 50% ……… that's a HUGE discrepancy.

The company was trending downward, and the announcements of certain taxes and tariffs (perhaps as a result of the new administration), which was estimated, by the company's own team, to have a projected negative impact of 4% to the bottom line - meaning, that without restructuring or something else, they were likely to post a loss in 2017.

Likely, Cabela's was sold because it had to sell, not because they were so rich and uninterested in becoming richer.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Full-Year-2016