Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Shell LNG plant BC

Good to hear Shell and others going ahead with $40 billion LNG plant at Kitimat BC. Should create lot of jobs in Grande Prairie and give confidence to other oil companies to spend some money in Canada. Also Husky made offer to buy MEG Energy yesterday so things may be starting to turn around in Western Canada.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:51 AM

Not that this likely factor into this decision, but I can't help but wonder if changes in government in both Ontario and Quebec will have a positive spinoff for Alberta's economy.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:01 AM

And here is hoping that all the necessary regulatory approvals are going to be in place without lots of hassle and endless 'consultation' and the protesters (you know there will be protesters) don't bog it down till it dies a long slow death...just for once let it go smoothly!! The Energy sector has been so beat down, it needs some positive momentum, and investment here in Canada, instead of leaving for friendlier jurisdictions.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-02-2018, 10:02 AM

A coworker was by that plant last week and it's a MASSIVE construction project going full tilt.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:04 AM

I think Trudeau finally realized that budgets don't really balance themselves and he needs industry and taxpayers to fund his ambitious social agenda. I'm glad to see this project is going ahead.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-02-2018, 10:35 AM

https://business.financialpost.com/c...for-fuel-booms

Already the Greens making their unhappy noises....and they have Horgan by the shorts. Oh, the poor suffering environment, shipping clean LNG to replace coal fired generating facilities in China. Somebody find my crying towel....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-02-2018, 11:25 AM

Another huge thing that gives hope to the energy industry and our province are yesterdays election results from a certainly large province to the east of us. Can anyone say "Energy East" ?!
Old 10-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Default Lng

Well, I’m pretty happy that this is finally going through. Weaver and his party of 3 can whine and wring their hands , but on this issue they are powerless. The Liberals have no choice but to support the NDP in this, since they pushed so hard for the project when they were in power. Threats of bringing down the gov’t are just so much hot air...
Crane Pete
Old 10-02-2018, 11:59 AM

Increased tanker traffic and a new pipeline required here as well. I might suggest in areas far more environmentally sensitive than Trans Mountain.

But backed heavily by Indigenous people’s and no threat to the US by changing the discount on oil. LNG not as “dirty” Oil. Wonder if this one makes it to court?

Lot of this will be built oversees as super modules but other than that nice to see it go ahead if the green thumbs don’t sabotage it.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
And here is hoping that all the necessary regulatory approvals are going to be in place without lots of hassle and endless 'consultation' and the protesters (you know there will be protesters) don't bog it down till it dies a long slow death...just for once let it go smoothly!! The Energy sector has been so beat down, it needs some positive momentum, and investment here in Canada, instead of leaving for friendlier jurisdictions.

These days it’s hard not to just expect a parade of hassles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Increased tanker traffic and a new pipeline required here as well. I might suggest in areas far more environmentally sensitive than Trans Mountain.

But backed heavily by Indigenous people’s and no threat to the US by changing the discount on oil. LNG not as “dirty” Oil. Wonder if this one makes it to court?

Lot of this will be built oversees as super modules but other than that nice to see it go ahead if the green thumbs don’t sabotage it.
Natural Gas tends to clean itself up. It leaves a baked, smoking hole, but those are easy to deal with.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:38 PM

Sat in these hearings for a bit, everybody gave very lucid arguments/stances on pro and con except for the moron from Sierra Club B.C.
Nothing but crap and whining !
The mine BTW, will impact hunters , trappers ( myself to a certain extent) and some guide/ outfitters that are members here in WMU 532 above Ft. Mackay
https://everythinggp.com/article/539...nds-mine-begin
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-02-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:50 PM

Huge difference in environmental threat to tide waters moving diluted bitumen versus LNG. There shouldn't reasonably be too many cries regarding this. The argument could be made this is a net environmental benefit to the planet as it assists Asia in getting natural gas to replace nuclear/coal power.

I wonder when the BC government will implement their carbon levy to apply to natural gas extraction. That'll create some big (read: royalty) revenue on natural gas.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:12 PM

Understand most if not ALL the approvals are already in place, as already mentioned construction has already started. Companies like Shell and Mitsubishi do not start $40 billion project without approvals in place.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Huge difference in environmental threat to tide waters moving diluted bitumen versus LNG. There shouldn't reasonably be too many cries regarding this. The argument could be made this is a net environmental benefit to the planet as it assists Asia in getting natural gas to replace nuclear/coal power.

I wonder when the BC government will implement their carbon levy to apply to natural gas extraction. That'll create some big (read: royalty) revenue on natural gas.
The detractors and ( paid) protestors are not concerned whether it is LNG, diluted Bitumen, or diesel mined, moved or developed !
Cat
Old 10-02-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I believe all the necessary hoops have been jumped through already. Finally we are seeing some damn progress. Way beyond time for things to change.

I nearly puked watching certain idjuts heaping praise on themselves during the announcement on BNN.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I believe all the necessary hoops have been jumped through already. Finally we are seeing some damn progress. Way beyond time for things to change.

I nearly puked watching certain idjuts heaping praise on themselves during the announcement on BNN.
Ya, seriously!

After what has gone on with Northern Gateway/TransMountain, to watch them celebrate this was pretty surreal.

It's great to hear about this natural gas development, for sure!
Old 10-03-2018, 09:15 PM

Little too far north for the street bums to hang out and protest unlike the Kinder Morgan site.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Understand most if not ALL the approvals are already in place, as already mentioned construction has already started. Companies like Shell and Mitsubishi do not start $40 billion project without approvals in place.
as i understand it , all approvals were in place on the kinder morgan line also . the project was halted on an appeal , and a judge decided that although all of the criteria had been met , more studies were now needed .