Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Banned

Default Shooting using bipods?

I've never shot much of bipods and I'm curious what technique is preferred? Seems to me I'd like to put them on upside down and pull my rifle back into the stops rather then push forward to the stops.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:30 PM

Don't recommend .I have seen studs pulled out of rifle by what you describe . Recoil tears them out .
Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Don't recommend .I have seen studs pulled out of rifle by what you describe . Recoil tears them out .
257 wby, braked 26 nos or 243? Interesting.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:45 PM

I’ve been running a 13-27” Harris for about 20 years and it’s rarely not under my gun when I touch off a shot. From load development to hunting and everything in between it’s there. It covers me from prone to sitting and unless the grass is really tall has worked everywhere from the prairies to the mountains.
I run it “normal”, the legs are under the barrel when folded up. When I’m shooting with it I try and leave the rifle sitting neutral against the legs. Initially when I set up I plop it down and don’t torque anything. There have been times when I’ve had to follow a running animal and the rifle and bipod have twisted against the legs and it hasn’t resulted in a miss but I make every attempt to keep the bipod and stock from having any torque in them.

I’ve never had any damage from a bipod. If studs have pulled out they probably weren’t anchored very well. My 6lb 15 oz 338 win has over 50lbs of recoil so if it was going to happen, it should happen to her.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 PM

I don’t “load” the bipod when shooting game. Try to set the legs level, works best with a pivoting head. For big game hunting I prefer trigger sticks. Calling coyotes I use a 13-27” bipod.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:53 PM

I use mine on all my guns as designed - legs folding forward toward muzzle.

I'm genuinely curious .... Why would you want to mount it backwards anyways?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’ve been running a 13-27” Harris for about 20 years and it’s rarely not under my gun when I touch off a shot. From load development to hunting and everything in between it’s there. It covers me from prone to sitting and unless the grass is really tall has worked everywhere from the prairies to the mountains.
I run it “normal”, the legs are under the barrel when folded up. When I’m shooting with it I try and leave the rifle sitting neutral against the legs. Initially when I set up I plop it down and don’t torque anything. There have been times when I’ve had to follow a running animal and the rifle and bipod have twisted against the legs and it hasn’t resulted in a miss but I make every attempt to keep the bipod and stock from having any torque in them.

I’ve never had any damage from a bipod. If studs have pulled out they probably weren’t anchored very well. My 6lb 15 oz 338 win has over 50lbs of recoil so if it was going to happen, it should happen to her.
When I refer to the studs being pulled out is when they are flipped(bipod) around backwards. All the recoil is bearing on the stud .It doesn't happen to every one used that way but I have repaired many that have . When used as designed its not a problem the recoil can be absorbed by the legs and springs
Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 PM

There is a technique for seated shooting that uses the bipod mounted backwards. Rest the butt of the stock on your knee with the butt snugged into your bicep. hooking your arm into your 1907 sling loop you then reach under your other knee and hook your fingers into the for end of the sling. Lowering you leg puts pressure on the sling tightening things up. I find the position to be uncomfortable but extremely stable. I personally have hit gongs out past 800yds using this. Never even loosened up a stud
Old 10-11-2018, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I use mine on all my guns as designed - legs folding forward toward muzzle.

I'm genuinely curious .... Why would you want to mount it backwards anyways?
The bipods are mounted towards the muzzle you can't take the slack out by pulling the rifle into your shoulder. You have to push forward. If they are n with the legs you can set them and pull the rifle into your shoulder to take up any slack.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:44 PM

if you mount the bipod as designed with the legs forward when folded (on harris and caldwell type), you can still squeeze the rifle into your shoulder with your grip while using the bipod to support your foreend. or if you want to press foreward into the bipod then the legs will dig in, and holding your shoulder into it with your grip, then you have the best of both going on. if you have the rifle properly seated on a solid part of your body, (the chest side of your shoulder joint, i have seen people put the recoil pad on their upper arm), this will reduce the recoil movement the most, giving you the most consistent shot.

Here's some youtube to help.

https://youtu.be/2hh42VNxFkg
https://youtu.be/k3q_pfiF4X8
Old 10-12-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
When I refer to the studs being pulled out is when they are flipped(bipod) around backwards. All the recoil is bearing on the stud .It doesn't happen to every one used that way but I have repaired many that have . When used as designed its not a problem the recoil can be absorbed by the legs and springs
Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:19 AM

With bipod shooting, what seems to work for me is prone and lightly forward loading of the bipod. It seems not to jump around much.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:09 PM

Which bipods are you guys using? I have been thinking to get one, but can't really decide which.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Which bipods are you guys using? I have been thinking to get one, but can't really decide which.
On a bench bipods are handy, in the field, i use a backpack 99% of the time. Bipods weigh about 1 pound and are positioned way out forward on your rifle. They make shooting offhand not as handy. If i set up for a long sit, i might dig my caldwell or harris out of my backpack. They are both made in china. Caldwell is half the price of harris.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Got Harris and Caldwell. I'm not sure I like either. Maybe got to get used to them.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
On a bench bipods are handy, in the field, i use a backpack 99% of the time. Bipods weigh about 1 pound and are positioned way out forward on your rifle. They make shooting offhand not as handy. If i set up for a long sit, i might dig my caldwell or harris out of my backpack. They are both made in china. Caldwell is half the price of harris.
Makes sense. My rifle is already quite heavy as it is because of the scope I have on it. It may just be better not to mess with it and keep using my bag. I tried using a trigger stick but wasn't a big fan.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Banned

I use a caldwell at the range.
For hunting I use my hunting chair (which has a rifle rest built on to it). Sometimes I will use a bog pog (2 or 3 leg)
My other option is the deadshot field pod.

I do a lot of stand hunting so bipods are pretty well useless for me and I am not going to sit or lay on the ground to shoot.

Anything, resting on a fence post or leaning against a tree is more accurate than a free hand shot.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:36 PM

I am a fan of the Harris . The Caldwell is a copy but not built as sturdy.

I would recommend buy the swivel model and one long enough you can shoot above the grass / snow while prone
Old 10-14-2018, 03:54 PM

I have bipeds on a couple of rifles. They are an “acquired taste” for a lot of people, me included. They work well, but I don’t care for the extra weight and the change in balance in the gun.
I was introduced to African shooting sticks a few years ago, and I regularly shoot with them, and prefer them now.
I have several sets; one that’s a legit set from Zimbabwe, and another that my wife had made for me that are multisection. They’re beautiful, work great, but too expensive for me to take out bashing in the brush.
The ones I use most often I got at Cabela’s in the States a couple years ago. The aren’t full length; only about 40in., so perfect for kneeling or sitting. They’re very thin and light, around half a pound. They are three piece with shock cord internally to assemble them. I keep them in a back pocket, and I can deploy them and be ready to shoot faster than I can with a bipod.
I like them better for the range of movement, and getting my muzzle higher, out of the dirt and leaf litter. They are great for coyotes...easier to track a dog running. I also use a tripod with a rifle saddle on it that really works well too
Old 10-19-2018, 12:00 AM

I have had a Harris on my coyote rig for 4 or 5 yrs and love it. Just bought a 17wsm and got another one for it. You can get a cheaper Harris that does not pivot but I would highly recommend paying the extra for the pivoting one. Just set my back against a tree and you are dead steady. Also allows me to sit with my shotgun in my lap and the .204 waiting right beside me.👍
Old 10-20-2018, 04:56 AM

I use bipod and carry a monopod.

The monopod is collapsible.

I usually fit it under the the buttstock while sitting.

So with bipod legs extended, sitting position, elbows firmly against knees and monopod supporting buttstock I am pretty stable.

Using this method I can usually shoot 4" groups out to 500 yards with 7mm and can get decent groups on muzzleloader out to 350 yards.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:47 AM

I have two Harris bipods, but since I purchased my trigger sticks tripod, I never use them. The tripod is more to carry, but it can be used standing, and it adjusts for height much quicker, and it swivels to follow a moving animal.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:35 AM

I often shoot from prone with a bipod. I tend to use the bipod only as a gentle rest while shooting either prone or seated, depending on the bipod length. Even with heavy recoiling cartridges, my non-dominant hand has a firm grip on the bottom of the sling or the toe of the butt and pushing the butt into my shoulder. I find all the recoil comes straight back, no barrel jump. I do not attempt to dig the bipod feet into the ground and load any forwards torque on the stud and stock. My shooting position, through pulling the butt tightly into my shoulder and balancing the rifle's position with my non-dominant hand significantly negates any bounce and controls the recoil.

Only with my lightweight rifle, if I ever have a bipod mounted, do I ever attempt to hold the rifle down, by holding the one bipod leg with my non-dominant hand. With the light stock, I have to be extremely careful to not add any torque or loaded pressure to the bipod feet as the stock will flex and add pressure to the barrel somewhere in the channel and send a bullet way off from the point of aim.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:24 PM

All I use

Tried rests and sandbags and for me bipods are the king. Rest open my groups. That's me though.

And yes you wanna forward load the pod a whiff
Old 10-30-2018, 04:52 PM

I agree with what Bobalong is saying. Good at the range but cumbersome if the field. In the field I keep mine in my backpack until i'm settled in.