Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 12:48 AM

Default Wmu 414

Anyone had much luck in there over the years?

This is my first year hunting in Alberta and first proper year hunting really. The area appeals as it seems a lot quieter than neighbouring WMU's. Not really all that interested in truck hunting.

Have a general elk/whitetail and mule tag. Was out there last Sunday having a scout and set up a trail cam along with a treestand in different locations. Hiked in and was off the beaten trails. Signs of animal life, trails and poop!

Looking at harvest reports from last year doesn't look too promising.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:19 AM

Signs of animal life, trails and poop

What does that tell you ?

Grizz
Old 10-23-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post

This is my first year hunting in Alberta and first proper year hunting really. The area appeals as it seems a lot quieter than neighbouring WMU's. Not really all that interested in truck hunting.

Have a general elk/whitetail and mule tag. Was out there last Sunday having a scout and set up a trail cam along with a treestand in different locations. Hiked in and was off the beaten trails. Signs of animal life, trails and poop!

While harvest reports can be a good starting resource, remember that first, they aren’t mandatory so a lot goes unreported, and second if I took a quick half day trip into 414 and never left my tuck and reported that I hunted 414 in my harvest reports that counts just the same as a guy who spent three weeks in their in a spike camp ten miles back.

Elk aren’t numerous in the zone, they are ver very isolated and while I have seen 2 elk back there before that was all. As for whitetails and mulies I’ve seen both regularity in the zone, for whitetails look for ridges parallel to food sources (meadows, small cut blocks) that are close to water and for mulies I find more rocky terrain close to old growth and Aspen stands where they can use the rocks as escape cover produce the best. Also consider keeping an eye out for wolves and take any you get a shot at... Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Heading out again this weekend and will report back.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:17 PM

I was in there for the rifle opener for elk. As with all wmus close to Calgary it was a zoo. I haven't been back since so can't speak of pressure after opening weekend
Old 10-30-2018, 11:09 PM

I was out again last weekend, saw nothing at my spot nor along the Hunter Valley road. I'm freaking out incase I'm set up in the wrong place. No issue putting the time in a stand or scouting for that matter. Anymore tips?
Old 10-31-2018, 03:39 AM

Quote:
I was out again last weekend, saw nothing at my spot nor along the Hunter Valley road. I'm freaking out incase I'm set up in the wrong place. No issue putting the time in a stand or scouting for that matter. Anymore tips?
I think this doubt plagues most hunters, "I bet I'd see more deer if I just moved to another spot." I've had plenty of days when I saw nothing even though I was in a spot that myself and friends have taken a dozen or more deers out of over the years. Deciding whether to change spots goes back to your confidence in scouting.

If you saw good sign it's just about choosing the right tactic for the local terrain. Figure out vantage points, play the wind, and be patient. I like bitterrootfly's tips. You'll see something - just be persistent.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:39 AM

Could always hunt the trans Alta road with the rest of the horde.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:

All I gotta say is you are not alone!

My first season as well, been hunting 412 and will be slipping over into 316 as of this weekend , unless it is so busy I decide to just keep hiding out on the mountains.

My take on it is that by learning to solo hunt in the mountain zones right away, we are kinda jumping right into the deep end. This means a really steep learning curve and not much initial success.

I view every poop I find and every trail I follow into nowhere as a victory... though my wife does want to see a full freezer before I spend anymore on gear, lol.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Gotta be doing something wrong, usually see a few whitetails out there, at least. They call it Hunting, for a reason.

Grizz
Old 10-31-2018, 10:46 AM

When you guys refer to hunting 'cut blocks' what exactly are you referring too? Have tried googling but cant find anything specific. Sorry for noob question.

I have one stand set up in woodland just off the road in a fairly remote location. I think it's a good spot, they is also a creek down the other side of the road. There was some poop and a few trails.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:05 AM

316 has some good deer in there have not been in there for a few years
Old 10-31-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I have one stand set up in woodland just off the road in a fairly remote location. I think it's a good spot, they is also a creek down the other side of the road. There was some poop and a few trails.
Hunting out of a stand in big bush country with low game density is not the best way to achieve success. Animals in that type of habitat tend to have a large territory and can come back to a specific trail only once a week or even once a month. I suggest you adopt a more mobile way of hunting.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
Hunting out of a stand in big bush country with low game density is not the best way to achieve success. Animals in that type of habitat tend to have a large territory and can come back to a specific trail only once a week or even once a month. I suggest you adopt a more mobile way of hunting.
So get out hiking the ridgelines and sit and wait? I'd prefer to avoid the sitting in the truck side of things if possible.

I have one stand with ladder and one hang on stand which I can carry with me.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
So get out hiking the ridgelines and sit and wait? I'd prefer to avoid the sitting in the truck side of things if possible.

I have one stand with ladder and one hang on stand which I can carry with me.
great info here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=333101
Old 10-31-2018, 01:57 PM

I am not familiar with the WMU in question, but ^ that is a great thread st99 provided you with. I don't think sitting on a tree stand in the area you are not very familiar with is the best strategy. Deer poop and tracks are great, but there is more to it than that. Like st99 mentioned, tracks and poop do not really indicate that the deer will be there again tomorrow, or later in the day, or next week, or ever again, for that matter. Now is a very good time to look for other sign as well. In a few days, the bucks will start moving around like they never do through out the rest of the year. It's probably the best time of the year to walk the bush and learn from it.

I don't know what "first proper year hunting" means and do not know about your previous experience. I posted this last year when someone new to hunting was looking for advice (also see post #20 in that same thread):
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...50&postcount=9

As for elk, it ain't going to be easy to find a bull this time of year (I am only assuming it is a bull you are looking for since in my area the only general elk tags are for 3+ point bulls). The only way to get one is to actually find it, literally. And this time of year the bull isn't going to help you find him either, rather quite the opposite.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
When you guys refer to hunting 'cut blocks' what exactly are you referring too? Have tried googling but cant find anything specific. Sorry for noob question.
You watch along a cutline to catch the deer crossing it. You have better vision and quietness compared to being right in the bush. It's less likely you'll catch a titan this way, but I've had good success with it. Some of the plants that grow best in the cut where it's open are deliciously enticing to deer so you can even catch them on the feed.

That linked thread is great. Bushleague has some good posts in there, and he also started another very informative thread this year. His posts have changed some of my techniques for this year.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=352714
Old 10-31-2018, 06:04 PM

Thanks guys, real helpful.

So this weekend I'll check one trail cam, establish another and look at some terrain that lends itself to lots of walking. Will hunt out some cut lines and walk them.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:18 PM

I am in my second season. I have focused on a particular drainage(two ridges with a small creek running through) in 412 and have seen at least a couple of does every time I have been in there, my max was 5 in 1 1\2 hours. I rattled a young buck in to about 150 yards on Sunday morning, but he decided to hide everything but his white ass behind a crop of trees, so I had no shot. He eventually figured out I wasnt what he thought I was and sprinted off.

There are lots of small tributary creeks that feed off the larger ones, you can see activity in those areas. Leave your rig well before first light and hike in with a headlamp.