Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-18-2020, 06:52 PM

Default Factory ammo trial

Wondering if any others find this same result......

Trying to find what factory ammo my Ruger 30-06 likes. I'm shooting 180 grain loads a) Rem core lokt psp b) Rem core lokt ultra bond c) Fed Fusion d) Hornady American Whitetail.
I get nice 1 inch groups at 100m with some variances of 1.5-3.5 inches over aim point. No biggie so long as I know what load is doing what.
All the published ballistics for these loads say if 100yd is 0 then 200yd is about -2.5 to -4. However, when I shoot out to 200m I am seeing a drops of 8 to 9 inches. Even with the yards to meters difference I didn't expect to see that much difference from their published information.
Does anyone else see these types of variances in their factory ammo or am I just missing something. Shooting at a range with a bench rest so pretty much steady on target.
Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks a ton!
Old 06-19-2020, 06:16 AM
Banned

I’ve found federal ammo including fusion to be some of the most accurate for factory. Most commonly saw 30 fps less than advertised real world velocities. And zero your rifle for 2” high at 100 to be close to 200 yard zero. If you can zero at 200 then even better. Then go hunting.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:46 AM

Your drop info will be affected by how high your scope is set above your bore. Many of the drop tables ammo makers publish are actually done using what would effectively 2" above bore. If you plug their weight, speed info into JBM ballistic calculator, with the proper height above bore for your scope you will find it matches your actual much better. Example 30-06 2800 fps and 180 grain bullet .345 B.C., zero above bore -5.4" drop at 200, 1.5 above bore 3.9" drop, 2" above bore, 3.4" drop. Actual velocity also has an effect.

To be getting 8 to 9" of drop with a 100 yard zero, something seems to be quite a ways off.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:16 AM

It is common to see 100fps less velocity than published, As for the 200m vs 200 yd, that 20 yards does make a bit of difference. As for that 1.5"-3.5" variance over point of aim at 100m, that translates to 3"-7" difference at 200m. I am thinking that the variance is what is causing your issue.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:14 AM
Banned

yes i should have mentioned, barrel length 24" as most published velocities are, i saw an average of 30 fps less than advertized, you have to drop another 20-25 fps off per inch of barrel shorter, so if you have 22" barrel you'd realistically be 80 fps off published at 25 per inch plus the usual 30 low i've found even on 24" barrels

you're best point blank zero for a 6" pbr (never more than 3" high or low of point of aim) will land between 2-3" high at 100 yards, without running numbers i'd say you'll be some where around 2.25"-2.5" high at 100 yards will give you a pbr of about 275 yards with ott six. Hold up on the back for 300 yards.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:59 AM

Thanks a ton guys. Don't have a chrono so actual muzzle velocity is unknown, may be able to use a friend's. More testing required! I'll take this info into my next session at the range, my thinking is to zero at 200.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearski View Post
Thanks a ton guys. Don't have a chrono so actual muzzle velocity is unknown, may be able to use a friend's. More testing required! I'll take this info into my next session at the range, my thinking is to zero at 200.
Your best bet in my opinion ( and it is obviously only my opinion ) is to forget about all the ballistics stuff you read because as it was already stated here, data on paper does not always translate to real time shooting.
shoot the ammo you want to use at 200 yards and see where you land at 100 and three hundred and call it good!
Tgis keeps it as simple as you can get, regardless of what a chronograph or drop chart says .
Cat
Old 06-19-2020, 01:15 PM

Good advice and simple. Gonna shoot it more at 200m, then see where it is for 100 and 300m, playing with the different loads and find what's best.
Thanks again guys!
Old 06-19-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Your best bet in my opinion ( and it is obviously only my opinion ) is to forget about all the ballistics stuff you read because as it was already stated here, data on paper does not always translate to real time shooting.
shoot the ammo you want to use at 200 yards and see where you land at 100 and three hundred and call it good!
Tgis keeps it as simple as you can get, regardless of what a chronograph or drop chart says .
Cat
The best advice by far. Numbers mean nothing if you shoot at 100,200 and 300, and see the actual points of impact. Reality always trumps theory
Old 06-19-2020, 03:18 PM

Proof is in the pudding... set a limit and stay within it, shoot to your maximum distance to know exactly what is going on at the range. You have to practice to the max range you will hunt, otherwise it’s just a guess... and guesses lead to wounded animals.

LC
Old 06-20-2020, 10:54 AM

Default Kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Even when I had a chronograph and could develop drop charts, the real test is shooting. Cats instructions are perfect. Happy hunting.