Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2021, 10:56 PM

Default House insurance repairs

Hey guys, getting a bit of a run around from insurance. My shingles got damaged by wind, so contacted insurance. I get the email saying they’ll only cover $4800 minus my deductible of $1000 so I’m at $3800 and to shingle the whole house I got quoted $12000. The house was built in 2006, there’s no way the singles will match. Any ideas to get get them to pay up?
Old 07-28-2021, 11:00 PM

Good luck lol just be a persistent pain the posterior customer and don't sign anything.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:06 AM

Not sure what kind of policy you have...so check that...don't want to be a downer, but your shingles are 15 years old.

So...if they were 25 year shingles, they only have 40% life left.
40% of $12000 equals $4800
I'm thinking that's where they got the number....

Like the other poster stated though, it doesn't hurt to be persistent.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
Not sure what kind of policy you have...so check that...don't want to be a downer, but your shingles are 15 years old.

So...if they were 25 year shingles, they only have 40% life left.
40% of $12000 equals $4800
I'm thinking that's where they got the number....

Like the other poster stated though, it doesn't hurt to be persistent.
Yup. Insurance will pro-rate the remaining value and that is what you’ll be compensated for. Or insurance is only covering half of the roof as technically the wind or hail will typically only damage the windward side.

Make sure you get a couple of quotes and you research what shingles you are getting for a replacement. Not all shingles or installers are equal.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:23 AM

keep hounding them. used to work in insurance and they are crooked as f. another good resource is talk to the tradesmen that come through they can usually help you navigate the BS.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:30 AM

Let me take a blind guess here !! WaWanesa ??
Old 07-29-2021, 09:50 AM

You won’t successfully fight depreciation, it’s contained in the policy.

They’ll cover whatever portion of the quote the depreciation schedule contained in your policy provides coverage for. Ask them for the schedule and use it to check that they applied it correctly to the quote they approved. Keep in mind they will reduce the payout by about 20% and your deductible if you choose to take the cash and do everything yourself
Old 07-29-2021, 10:07 AM

Default Slippery little buggers

I know insurance companies are only here to help themselves.

I have heard of this depreciation trick though have never had it applied to a claim. I understand how a shingle can be depreciated but I don't see how the labour can be discounted...wouldn't it be the same no matter the age of the shingles?

Likewise I'm not clear on how the lifespan of a shingle is calculated; I think it is incorrect to assume that a shingle is kaput when the warranty is over. Using their logic that would mean every house needs a new roof when the warranty is over.

The lifespan of a shingle might be worth focussing on. For example, if your roof is 12.5 yrs old and the shingles had a 25 yr warranty they would calculate 50% depreciation. If the lifespan of a shingle was more like 35 yrs, the same claim would have about 30% depreciation (12.5/35).

Being a PIA has worked well for me with insurance claims, trust me, they are not your friend

Zeke
Old 07-29-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
Let me take a blind guess here !! WaWanesa ??
They are all the same, freebies are done with. Hopefully your quote comes in high than do a payout, if not let them do it for full price, less ur deductible and betterment.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:18 PM

If you read the fine print on all shingle warranties.
It only applies if a approved contractor installs them.
It only applies if not sun exposed(so you minus off a bunch of years for south or south west facing)
Rain, hail and extreme environment(Alberta is considered extreme)
It is known in the roofing industry that a 25 year shingle is no good on the south side of the house, in 15years or less in Alberta
Also, shingle warranty, does not cover installation.
If you deal with a great roofing company they have a person that deals with the insurance for you(my best friend does this for a large American exterior company) He used to do this for a few different companies in Alberta.
Also my home insurance sent a letter out last year or the year before, that they would only be covering depreciated amount on shingles and siding from that day forward.
Only your top end Gaf shingles(lifetime) will last 25 years or so. But no shingle roof is considered a lifetime roof. Only non exposed fastener tin(snap lock or standing seam) or a slate roof will last 35+ years
Check the fine print on your policy, it most likely states that they will not cover the entire cost of a new roof.