Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2011, 01:03 AM
AO Sponsor

I knowwwww....ugh, it kills me to do it, everything I am through and through is Conservative, but Duncan's an idiot, have to vote against him.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
I knowwwww....ugh, it kills me to do it, everything I am through and through is Conservative, but Duncan's an idiot, have to vote against him.
I suppose you know that Duncan didn't even show up to his local all-candidates meeting....pretty strong message that he doesn't want to face the fire regarding Halibut.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 AM

Default Halibut Allocation issue in elections

Halibut has become a major election issue on the coast..

FYI

The All Candidates meeting in Tofino BC last night, the ONLY issue where there was consensus was regarding Halibut Allocation and the serious need for change in the allocation model. Conservative MP James Lunney didn’t seem to have much support by many attending (approx. 60-80 ppl) but he did get a “little pat on the back” from NDP candidate for coming forward to the Fisheries Minister and PM regarding the Halibut Allocation.

Parties in attendance;
Conservative
NDP
Liberal
Green
Pirate
Old 09-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Default Halibut now closed

From the SFI website

By now you’ve probably heard that DFO has decided to close the recreational halibut fishery effective September 5th, 2011, once again violating DFO's pledge that it would not implement in-season closures under the department's ill-conceived halibut allocation policy. The department has again decided to ignore the legitimate interests of recreational anglers....and the economic interests of British Columbia...and kowtow to commercial halibut licence holders who have a stranglehold on the halibut fishery, and, evidently, DFO’s Pacific Region and Ottawa staff.

The SFI will continue to work through the system and participate in discussion with DFO as they maintain that they will seek a resolution to the inequities in the Pacific halibut fishery.

If you are a recreational angler or someone who works in the sport fishing industry, we strongly urge you to make the impact of this political rather than conservation based decision known and get involved. Take a few minutes from your busy day and write an original letter or email to your MP or the Fisheries Minister and let them know that as a Canadian and an angler, you require a predictable halibut fishing season and a reasonable opportunity to catch and keep Pacific halibut.

BC coastal Sportfishing season is far from over though, with some information here on our sponsors page.

I hope mant of you had the chance to get to the coast for some great Halibut fishing this season before it came to an unjustified end....

J.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Wow!!!! What a shame.....