Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 AM

The letters I wrote to the Prime Minister, I got a response from. The response is posted below.

Dear Mr. Wood: On behalf of the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, I would like to thank you for your e-mail, in which you raised an issue that falls within the portfolio of the Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans. Please be assured that the statements you made have been carefully reviewed. I have taken the liberty of forwarding your e-mail to Minister Shea, so that she too may be made aware of your comments. I am certain that the Minister will give your views every consideration. P. MonteithExecutive Correspondence Officerfor the Prime Minister's OfficeAgent de correspondancede la haute directionpour le Cabinet du Premier ministre >>> From : justin wood fishing_finatic@hotmail.com Received

: 13 Feb 2011 12:52:40 AM >>> >>> Subject : Improved and Better Revised Letter on the BC Coast Halibut Crisis >>>>

Dear Honorable Prime Minister Stephen Harper : I am writing to you now as an avid sport angler from Carvel, Alberta, Canada. I have many concerns over DFO,s current and flawed system on the BC halibut fishery. There are approximately one hundred thousand plus Canadian citizen sport anglers that are suffering from this system one of those anglers likely to be me. All of these anglers are suffering just so a couple hundred business owners can reap huge profits off of a common public resource that every tax paying and license buying Canadian already has the right to access and owns. These private business owners control more than half of the 435 quota holders and didn't even have to pay for it. These non fishing quota holders then exploit their granted quota by making an easy profit off of it. These exploiters that were supposed to use quota to fish, make an easy profit by choosing to stay home and sell their quota to Canadian citizens that wish to use it to sport fish or commercially fish for halibut. These exploiters are nicknamed "slipper skippers" or "fish lords."

The current DFO system allows 88% of the halibut TAC (Total Allowable Catch) to be allocated to 435 quota holders; many of whom don't even use their quota. The other measly 12% is allocated to the sport sector. Many anglers that halibut fish the BC west coast, generally are Canadian citizen tourists. These tourists pay thousands of dollars each towards restaurants, gas stations, tackle shops, and lodging just to name a few. It is predicted that the halibut fishery on the BC coast will close as early as July. This is the height of the halibut sport fishing season. If the halibut season were to close as predicted, it would be a disaster to the coastal sport fishing industry, the coastal economy, and possibly even to towns on the route to the coast. This loss on economy and governmental tourist dollars would be all due to the loss of many of tourists that likely each contribute at least thousands to the economy. I feel that the 12% allocation is not enough allocation to sustain the sport industry which is very important to the BC economy and is still growing very quickly. In the U.S.A, the government allows 20% of the halibut TAC to be allocated to the sport sector in Alaska and 36% of the TAC to be allocated to the sport sector in Washington State.

This current system just doesn't hurt the Sport fishing industry but also average Canadian citizens that like to eat halibut and quota buying commercial fishers "real commercial fishers". Quota buying commercial fishers that actually work hard to make a profit make a very low profit after having to pay for the lease prices from the "slipper skippers."I have also wondered for much of my life why the price of halibut was so high that my family and average Canadian citizens would eat it less than once a year. I found out that after the Quota buying commercial fishers pay the "fish lords" astronomical quota lease prices, these quota buyers then have no choice but to make the price of their halibut high so they can at least make a measly profit.

The other concern I have about this system is its effects on the halibut, lingcod and rockfish stocks. I think more anglers are going to feel pressured to keep the bigger halibut to make up for the extra halibut they could not keep and to make up for the greatly reduced season. These bigger halibut happen to be the big spawning females carrying millions of eggs. The more of these spawning halibut that are kept, the much lesser halibut there will be in the future. I also wanted to point out that if the halibut season closes early, then anglers that were originally targeting halibut then may focus strictly on fishing for ling cod and rockfish. Ling cod are a reef fish and grow fairly slowly. If there was a sudden increased shock of fishing pressure on this species, then it may greatly harm the health of the ling cod stocks. I think this sudden switch over would be very devastating to the rockfish stocks. From what I understand, rockfish grow very slowly and usually live on the same reef their whole lives. If there was a sudden increase of fishing pressure on the rockfish reefs, they would likely become overfished and it would take many years for the stocks to recover.

I and many sport anglers have already tried to get Fisheries Minister Gail Shea to amend this flawed DFO system, but it doesn't seem like her or the fisheries sector plans on to. They still seem to support the interest of a couple hundred private business owners.

Again, I am greatly opposed to this current DFO system because over 100 000 tax paying and license buying Canadian Citizens are suffering just so a couple hundred business owners get rich from not even having to work or invest. The profit that these "slipper skippers" make, won't contribute to the Canadian economy, but will just contribute to their own pockets. I think any quota holder who does not agree to use their quota should have it resigned from them and evenly 50/50 split between the sport sector and the people wishing to commercial fish. The resigned quota should be given to the two groups for free.

If it was not for these "fish lord's", then sport anglers and food fishers would be able to keep their way of life, and commercial fishers that actually work hard and invest could make a fair profit again. Perhaps the rockfish and ling cod stocks wouldn't be at risk as much either and perhaps even the average Canadian citizen could also afford to buy halibut more than once a year.

Lastly, Honorable Prime Minister, could you envision over 1 000 000 of your Canadian citizens losing their way of life, many of your hard working quota buying Canadian citizen commercial fishers making a mediocre profits and your average Canadian citizen not being able to afford to buy halibut more than once a year just so a couple hundred "fish lords" can make a private high profit business off of a resource that all us Canadian citizens own and that the "fish lords" don't own to themselves? I and other sport anglers don't ask for all of the quota to be allocated to us, but just enough to have a full season running from Feb 1st to Dec 31st where every angler can keep a daily limit of 2 halibut per day and 3 in possession. Your decisions greatly affect the social well being of halibut sport anglers, to the well being of non quota holding halibut commercial fishers as well as to the well being of Canadians who enjoy buying halibut at their local grocery store or enjoy eating it at a restaurant; most of these people who are your Canadian citizens.

There is much more information on this that I could only list a fraction of it.

This is a highly recommended link that contains more and very detailed information on this issue.

http://www.scribd.com/full/48163271?...ugfj4iv3hdl43c

Sincerely, Justin Wood

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 03-24-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 AM

I never received a response.

All lodges should be aware...to reduce halibut means a direct drop in business. To increase halibut quotas for fishermen means a direct increase in business. If I could tell guys that want to fish the west coast that they can come back with 4 halibut...it would probably give me a minimum 10% increase in interest.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 PM

JWood, that is a great letter!

No threats. No blackmail.

You speak from the heart and use information to back up your stance. Very well done sir.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 PM

I cant believe that this is happenening. I was reading through all this thinking why can't a lawyer bring this up and get it fixed. Of course it cost's alot of money. I would much rather donate 300$ one time to a lawyer to get this bull**** removed then to pay the same amount everytime i wanted to catch a fish. It is true that if this stays, the same will happen to every other resource we have from the ocean, prawns, crabs and salmon. Telling the mp's how we feel is one way, but if i've learned anything from politicians, its not to trust them. If we can find a lawyer who would take the case to the supreme court of canada and get this "fixed" i wonder how many other people would rather pay the 300$ to that cause. Simple math shows that 1000 people is 300,000$. You put in all the guide and charter companies, the locals who are fed up and scared of losing all the other resources, i dont think getting 10,000 people would be that hard, and as far as I can see, its a case that could not be lost. 3 mil im sure could get a damd good lawyer who could end this once and for all, set precedence for other resources and make sure it never happens again. Just my .02
Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM

so much for my fishing trip, i'll just have to go to alaska instead.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman1 View Post
so much for my fishing trip, i'll just have to go to alaska instead.
Southeast Alaska has a limit of 1 halibut per person and it must be under 37inches...which is about 23lbs!! :O
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
Southeast Alaska has a limit of 1 halibut per person and it must be under 37inches...which is about 23lbs!! :O
I believe it is one halibut per day...under 37 inches... So 5 day trip..5 halibut. Is that not correct? In the right area...you drop down to 200 - 400 feet...brace yourself, set the hook and reel up the chicken.

I would be happy with 3 halibut under 45 inches...or at the very least 2 a day...2 possession...then you only need to go out in the heavy seas once. Now as it stands...I want to keep whatever I catch...cause the weather may change. Back when it was 3 possession...2 limit per day I rarely kept anything over 30 or 40 lbs.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:29 AM

Default form emails.

I got the same reply...

On behalf of the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, I would like to thank you for your e-mail, in which you raised an issue that falls within the portfolio of the Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans.

Please be assured that the statements you made have been carefully reviewed. I have taken the liberty of forwarding your e-mail to Minister Shea, so that she too may be made aware of your comments. I am certain that the Minister will give your views every consideration. For more information on the Government's initiatives, you may wish to visit the Prime Minister's Web site, at www.pm.gc.ca.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 AM

I'm curious if any of your MPs responded as well with commitments to pursue the issue?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 AM

I have received NO response from a MP.
I wonder what will happen with an election going on.......Nothing.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 PM

"Therefore, for the 2011 season only, we will undertake a trial to make available to interested recreational stakeholders experimental licenses that will allow them to lease quota from commercial harvesters. This will provide access to halibut beyond the limits of the standard recreational license, giving those who choose to participate greater stability for business planning purposes."

Are there more specifics somewhere? This vague statement raises a milliion questions.
What is an "interested recreational stakeholder"? Is that just charter companies who can in turn sell to their clients?
How do you go about getting these "experimental licenses"? Cost?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
"Therefore, for the 2011 season only, we will undertake a trial to make available to interested recreational stakeholders experimental licenses that will allow them to lease quota from commercial harvesters. This will provide access to halibut beyond the limits of the standard recreational license, giving those who choose to participate greater stability for business planning purposes."

Are there more specifics somewhere? This vague statement raises a milliion questions.
What is an "interested recreational stakeholder"? Is that just charter companies who can in turn sell to their clients?
Maybe take a cue from the government and obtain a commercial harvesting license and then sell off your quota at a dollar per fish to charter companies.

My question is; is there a set rate that the commercial fishery charges for the lease of the quota. Somehow in this trickle down process, someone from the quota holder down is going to get gouged,, I treat myself to a charter and am by no means wealthy but if the rate to fish goes up 100%, I'm gone as would be a fair chunk of the clientele.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:22 PM

Its the same here in Alberta, only we pay the government $10. for a Walleye, And they call this fish management.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
Its the same here in Alberta, only we pay the government $10. for a Walleye, And they call this fish management.
Lolo right on slimjim,,, one of the best I have read on here for a while... Not only that but there are loads of smucks on here that are just all to happy to pay it..

Blind I tell yah blind as bats..
Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 PM

How do you go about getting these "experimental licenses"? Cost?[/QUOTE]

Aah, found my own answers by looking more. Sounds like you contact a commercial fishery and make a deal, so - who knows what the costs could be.
Seems to be a hot topic on the BC forums with many charter companies demanding a boycott. Curious to see how many fishing charters will BUY into this system this year???.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Aah, found my own answers by looking more. Sounds like you contact a commercial fishery and make a deal, so - who knows what the costs could be.
Seems to be a hot topic on the BC forums with many charter companies demanding a boycott. Curious to see how many fishing charters will BUY into this system this year???.[/QUOTE]

-Have been offline coaching Hockey this weekend and now getting caught up on this thread..
Sorry I didn't refer you to the right info but glad you found it on your own, even if it doesn't explain much more than what you already know,,,,we are all getting railroaded by our Gov't who has privitized a resource. They have left the gate open just wide enough for someone to make the mistake of leasing quota through this absurd system to set precident that there "experimental Fishery" works. They are obviously not worried about what works for the masses, but what works for their own system and the people that buy into it.

I don't know of a single Charter company or Lodge that is buying in, and we have been networking constantly to try and confirm that there are no "lost sheep" out there without the right info on how damaging this process would be to all of us if entertained...

There are more and more public meetings, Civic Council responses, Business Associations, Chambers of Commerce, Angling Groups, Non-Angling Groups etc. etc. that are registering their opposition to this absurd concept of leasing back fishing rights from people who were gifted a common property resource we are supposed to already own....Join one of these groups today and help encourage the Gov't to replace the antiquated Fisheries Minister who refuses to understand the concept of angling for personal enjoyment or personal sustenance. It just doesn't happen where she comes from and she just doesn't get it!!!!!

Don't be surprised if you visit a fishing lodge or fine restaurant on the coast this year, and they don't have Halibut on the menu. Many Lodges are refusing to purchase Halibut to serve, as are many restaurants in support of recreational Anglers being bent over the Gunwale by the Fisheries Minister, while the non fishing Halibut Quota owners cheer her on....
The prices are going to be so high due to the Gov't supported commodity of Halibut, that some retaurants may just drop it from the menu and serve Ling Cod or Snapper instead..

Thanks for supporting the fight,

J.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM

Here is a link to all the MP's and a way to send a message. It is just as easy to send them a message as it is to complain about the issue on here and with an election coming it will do far more good.
To those who have sent a message GOOD ON YOU

http://www.democracy-machine.com/
Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Here is a link to all the MP's and a way to send a message. It is just as easy to send them a message as it is to complain about the issue on here and with an election coming it will do far more good.
To those who have sent a message GOOD ON YOU

http://www.democracy-machine.com/
You are right about that...If we could get 1/4 of the AO members on here to contact their MP's, it would carry huge weight on this issue..

Thanks dgl1948, the link provided is helpful.

BTW, we are now catching Halibut on the better weather days and they are larger on average than we have seen for a number of years, so I hope you get a chance to enjoy it while you can. I do anticipate a remedy before the season closes short on us!

J.

J.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:43 PM

Default Upcoming election and privitization of public resources

This is a recent message from a collegue of mine (who is a commercial fisherman and an avid recreational angler) who has been a big part of the battle against our current Fisheries Minister's Halibut Allocation stance;

Many are interested in ways to help the BC Sportfishing Survival Coalition towards the goal of achieving Fair and Equitable access to the Halibut Resource. The Coalition today has provided an avenue for just that.

We are now facing down yet another Federal Election.... And as foolish a waste of time, money and energy that exercise presents it does provide an couple of opportunities: First to make each candidate in our ridings aware of the issue. There are but a few who have any focus on the matter at hand, most remain blissfully unaware at this point. The second, and perhaps more significant of the two, is to determine their Party's position regarding the ongoing Privatization of Public Resources.

To that end, a letter of request has been drafted to both enlighten each Candidate on the issue, and to directly request that each clarify their, and their Party's positions in this regard. Below I have copied this letter and would strongly urge each one of you to fire off a copy to each one of the Candidates in your own local Riding:

As a Constituent in the Riding within which you are seeking election, I am writing to seek your views on the challenges facing the recreational halibut fishery in British Columbia. As you may know, the BC Sportfishing Coalition has been raising the profile of the recreational halibut fishery for the past several months, and has organized a series of town hall meetings up and down the coast that have attracted standing room only attendance from thousands of voters across BC who want to know how they can ensure that recreational anglers will get reasonable access to the halibut resource that they all own as Canadians.

The IPHC process well handles all conservation issues. Our concern is with the current halibut allocation policy only. This is NOT a conservation issue.

My questions for you are simple:

Do you support the present privatization of Canada’s common property pacific halibut resource?

Do you believe that BC’s recreational halibut anglers should have reasonable catch opportunities over the course of their normal fishing season?

Do you believe that commercial halibut quota holders (slipper skippers) should be able to sell or lease their quota, even if they are no longer participants in the fishery?

Would you support that the present recreational angler’s individual halibut limit of two fish be able to be taken in one day?

Thank you in advance for your timely answers to these questions.

Sincerely,
-----------

While the Coalition itself will be posing a similar set of questions, coming from voters within their own ridings may well help speed up their responses. I truly hope that most will take this advice to heart, and fire these questions off to those who aspire to win in each of your home ridings.

Your time, consideration and most importantly ACTION in this matter are sincerely Appreciated!

J.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM

I was wondering how the commercial fisheries thought on this one. On the Ministers announcement, she says the two sides could not agree so she had to step in and make a decision. Was there a huge issue in the first place? This all smells fishy.
I am just a recreational fisher trying to plan a charter in September - difficult to plan when I don't even know if the season is still open. I can only imagine the uncertainty with the charter companies and how much business they could lose.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I was wondering how the commercial fisheries thought on this one. On the Ministers announcement, she says the two sides could not agree so she had to step in and make a decision. Was there a huge issue in the first place? This all smells fishy.
I am just a recreational fisher trying to plan a charter in September - difficult to plan when I don't even know if the season is still open. I can only imagine the uncertainty with the charter companies and how much business they could lose.
The original Halibut Allocation model was based on inaccurate numbers and weight averages back in 2003, and we were guaranteed then, that there would never be any in-season closures, and that there would be a transfer based mechanism that would "work" for both parties.

The two sides did come to an agreement a number of years back, but the Gov't did not act on the recommendations....so this year based on the Ministerial decisions of the day, the Commercial side of the bread was buttered extra thick, leaving the rec sector no option but to walk away from the table so to speak. We would not agree to enter into what has been deemed illegal and against our basic morals - That common property resources can not be owned prior to being harvested as outlined in the Court process ____ that I can't quote right now.
The commercial Halibut fishermen that quit fishing immediately after the Gov't created the Halibut commodity market are loving it. They have been able to sit back and lease out the quota that they "own" in perpetuity, and now are really rubbing their paws together, waiting for an ill informed or desperate Recreational angler to drive the Halibut bidding process up......
Many of the active commercial Halibut fishermen are getting the shaft by this process too, as they have to lease more quota to "top up" their own smaller quotas to make the trip worthwhile. They need to do more volume to make the trip worth it based on increased overheads (fuel etc.) but it isn't worth it for them if they have to play a bidding war against Canadian Recreational anglers who are being told to lease fish from the same "Fish Lords".....

I do anticipate some change prior to in-season closures, but it is very hard to provide answers for guests who want to do some Halibut fishing in the later part of the season. We do have an excellent Ling Cod, Rockfish fishery late in the season, but with more and larger Halibut around this year, it is hard to imagine not bringing one home to feed the family.

J.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM

Kick Conservatives out MIGHT help the halibut fisherman but kiss your guns goodbye Liberal and NDP = no guns

Muzzy
Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Kick Conservatives out MIGHT help the halibut fisherman but kiss your guns goodbye Liberal and NDP = no guns

Muzzy
I'm personally not suggesting/convinced another party is the best option for pulic resource issues or a fix to the Halibut issue.....All MPs need to know that supporting privitization of public resources will not help their campaigns, and the Halibut issue can be used as a prime example. Though I fish most of the time, I need my guns too..
Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 PM

-Just bringing this back to the top to encourage all of you to consider the issue of privatization of our resources and how it can relate to the upcoming federal election.

Please question your local MP candidates what their stance is on privatization of common property resources, and the Coastal BC Halibut Allocation issue can be used as a prime example....?

Please do what you can to bring this up.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Clayoquot Ventures Tofino BC
Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Banned

Jay, have you heard of any lodges picking up Hali quotas?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM
AO Sponsor

I definitely haven't and I don't think many if any will...we have to stand united in this one
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 04-04-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Jay, have you heard of any lodges picking up Hali quotas?

Thanks
Jamie
None that I know of are that stupid.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 PM

Default John Duncan MP for North Island not a friend of Rec fishing

Here is the start of MP John Duncan's campaign challenges for being transparent in his support for privitizing public resources..

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver...119279534.html

J.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Here is a list of questions that will be asked of many MP's, most particularily John Duncan during election campaigns;

Does he and his Party support the present Privatization of Canada's Common Property halibut resource?

Does he and his Party believe that Canada's recreational halibut anglers should have reasonable catch opportunities over the course of their normal fishing year?

Does he and his Party believe that commercial halibut quota holders that do not personally fish halibut should be able to sell and/or lease their quota when they are no longer active participants in that fishery?

Does he and his Party support the present recreational angler's individual halibut limit of two fish be able to be taken in one day?Does he and his Party still believe this matter will simply go away?

Does he also understand that the answers to these questions will very much determine how the majority of those within the North Island Riding vote in the pending Federal Election?

Does he, or any member of his party have any financial interest in the commercial halibut fishery?

Also included is a great video on John Duncan's stance on the Halibut Fishery, that I'm sure you will like Serengeti,,,,,,

Go Canucks!!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Serengeti,

Here is the newest statement from your riding.....

John Duncan's main competition has made her stance very clear....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Time to reform halibut fishery says NDP candidate.pdf (269.7 KB, 14 views)