Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Default Sickening Halibut Announcement

-Just to let you know what the "Minister" of Fisheries announce today.
Makes me want to puke!!!! She feels that the only way to move forward is to pay the quota holders for access to this common property public resource.
Sickening..........

Ministerial Statement on Pacific Halibut Feb 15, 2011

Our Government understands the value and significance of the Pacific halibut fishery to British Columbians. The current sharing formula, which allocates 88% of the harvest to commercial fishermen and 12% to recreational harvesters, has been in place since 2003. Since then there have been a number of attempts by representatives of each sector to develop an acceptable way to transfer allocation between them.

The most recent round of discussions took place throughout 2010. I’m disappointed to report that those discussions have reached an impasse and stakeholders have been unable to reach a consensus. Because of this, a ministerial decision is required to move forward for the 2011 season.

As Canada’s Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, I have been entrusted with managing our precious marine resources responsibly and sustainably. This responsibility includes ensuring that we meet our various international obligations with regards to conservation. All fish management decisions are made to meet the following three priorities: conservation, sustainability of the fishery and economic viability. It is with these in mind that I announce the following:

The 2011 Pacific halibut recreational fishing season will open March 1st. Recreational anglers with a tidal license will be able to catch one halibut per day with two in possession.

Our Government recognizes the value of the recreational fishery to British Columbians and the economic opportunities it provides. Therefore, for the 2011 season only, we will undertake a trial to make available to interested recreational stakeholders experimental licenses that will allow them to lease quota from commercial harvesters. This will provide access to halibut beyond the limits of the standard recreational license, giving those who choose to participate greater stability for business planning purposes.

As for the future, clearly it is in the best interests of all sectors to come to a long-term solution that recognizes the important contribution each makes to British Columbia. To achieve this, I have asked my Parliamentary Secretary, Randy Kamp, Member of Parliament from Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge-Mission, to work with my officials to develop options for my consideration prior to the start of the 2012 season. These options will need to meet the following objectives:

o Conservation of the resource through enhanced monitoring of the recreational fishery, thereby keeping all halibut fisheries accountable for maintaining catches within the total allowable catch.

o Economic prosperity through predictable access for all users.

o Flexibility through an effective mechanism for transfers between the sectors.

I have long held the belief that those who participate in and depend on a fishery to make their living need to be able to provide input into how that fishery is managed. Ideally, that happens in a collaborative and constructive manner. Many stakeholders from both sectors have clearly articulated their current positions, but I encourage continued dialogue about new approaches between interested parties and my officials. The sooner a permanent solution is found, the sooner British Columbians can put uncertainty behind them and look forward to a viable future for this fishery.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:16 PM

I find it incredible that they aren't working hard to dissolve the conventional commercial fishery altogether. When you look at the dollars and spin off dollars created by guided and sport fishing its hard to fathom how they can justify the wack 'em and stack'em/blow them out at wholesale prices approach. Stupid comes to mind. Pay out the commercial licenses and move on. Sheesh how hard is that. If a commie wants to stay in business then convert the boat to guiding. Like it or not change is just part of life.

There aren't that many commercial guys I thought...what gives them so much bargaining power? Is it a select few at the top that have an ear with the top politicians? I just don't get it.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
I find it incredible that they aren't working hard to dissolve the conventional commercial fishery altogether. When you look at the dollars and spin off dollars created by guided and sport fishing its hard to fathom how they can justify the wack 'em and stack'em/blow them out at wholesale prices approach. Stupid comes to mind. Pay out the commercial licenses and move on. Sheesh how hard is that. If a commie wants to stay in business then convert the boat to guiding. Like it or not change is just part of life.

There aren't that many commercial guys I thought...what gives them so much bargaining power? Is it a select few at the top that have an ear with the top politicians? I just don't get it.
You're right, there aren't that many "Active" commercial Halibut Quota owners, but we are now faced to pay these individuals for continued access.

Your comments above are exactly opposite of the direction the CURRENT Fisheries Minister is pushing. She wants this to lead straight down the same path as East Coast Fisheries, where there is virtually no Recreational Fishery.
She has to go and we need at the very least, a western Fisheries Minister who actually gives a Shyyyyte about Canadian citizens access to a fishery.

Sickening to have volunteered to work with DFO for the past 15 years that I won't get back, missing my kids Hockey etc. Man I feel stupid and never again....... Never

Enjoy your early season Halibut Fishing. There is nothing in the letter saying that our season will not close, in fact it is a ultimatum situation if anyof the larger lodges (or others) want to stay open for Halibut later, they will have to enter into the Quota leasing process that we have avoided all along.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this...but I'll be voting NDP next election...and doing everything I can to ensure my MP John Duncan is not re-elected.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 PM

Default ????

So how is that going to work then? Are you going to have to pay xyz commercial guy 20 bucks for every extra halibut you harvest?

So how does it work in BC? Can any Tom, Dick or Harry with a boat run charters for money?

The rec qoutas are for the whole industry? Tofinofish do you not have your own qouta as a charter/outfitter? In Saskatchewan every outfitter has a set number of angling days for that body of water which is basically like there own qouta.

Can they just shut the season down at any time?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM

That really sucks for you guys.
Of course I haven't seen any dollar amounts yet, but I'm sure it sure wont be feasible for the smaller outfits.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM

So how is that going to work then? Are you going to have to pay xyz commercial guy 20 bucks for every extra halibut you harvest?

Not 20 bucks, more like $100-$300 plus per fish.

So how does it work in BC? Can any Tom, Dick or Harry with a boat run charters for money?

In the past it was possible for some to fly under the radar and charge for "Guiding" services. Now there is Federal Gov't creditation for guides, Transport Canada vessel regulations, municiple business licences etc. that all hinge on obtaining insurance to operate.

The rec qoutas are for the whole industry? Tofinofish do you not have your own qouta as a charter/outfitter? In Saskatchewan every outfitter has a set number of angling days for that body of water which is basically like there own qouta.

The recreational ALLOCATION (not quota) is for all recreational anglers, guided and unguided. We do not have our own quota. It is outlined in a Supreme Court process that an individual can't claim ownership on an uncaught species. There are "Rod Days" for Freshwater Fishing certain bodies of water.

Can they just shut the season down at any time?

They can and they have more than once, though they guaranteed that this would never happen as a condition of the process that DFO adopted in 2003. This is the same process that recreational representatives have been fighting since day one, trying hard to prove how it is not working for Canadian citizens.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
That really sucks for you guys.
Of course I haven't seen any dollar amounts yet, but I'm sure it sure wont be feasible for the smaller outfits.
Rockymtnx, You're right about that, Minister Shea has given us a rotten old commercially caught East Coast Cod to Suck on! Because that is exactly how she wants to manage the West Coast, Commercial Style.........

The huge problem is that she knows there may be one or more of the largest guided fishing operators on the coast who will feel the pressure to cave in and lease quota, setting precident for the whole process to "look like it works" when it will not.

Who will be able to afford to pay for a $6000.00 package at one of the high end resorts, and then the guy is out on the water, just battled a nice 70 lb Halibut to the boat and then the guide says "Hang on" while he/she gets out the calculator and Wireless Satellite Credit Card machine. You then have the option of choosing to buy your fish on the spot for an extra $500 or so........one fish.
Remember, the cost of this fish doesn't then go to general tourism, wages, Lodge upgrades, Safety, marketing, insurance etc. It will be directly beneficial to the original commercial quota holder who now gets to sit at home and not actively fish there own quota.

"Fish it or lose it" seems to have conveniently slipped past the B^$#tch in Ottawa....

So much for the 1 Billion dollar recreational Fishery in BC meaning anything to the gov't.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:25 PM

sounds like the "early" dates at lodges will get booked sooner, just to ensure the option to keep a hally ! OUch the pay on the spot option sounds crazy and very unsportsman like, bait-n-switch to the extreme. 'm glad i'll be heading out early season, but for those that already have plans , that could be very dissapointing !
Old 02-15-2011, 02:37 PM

This is why allotments, quotas, LEASES, etc. related to publicly owned resources should be for relatively short terms. That way when circumstances changes the leases can be allowed to lapse, and then the owner of the resources (the people, represented by govt.) can bring in a new system.

Right now my town has had to spend millions of dollars to buy up water licences from private individuals and companies so they can provide drinking water to the population. The town asked if we could get a credit given we treat and put clean water back into the system, where industrial and agricultural users don't. The province said "No".

Seems to me that an allocation owner shouldn't be able to NOT fish and then sell rights. For example, if the allocation is to catch 1000 fish and they only catch 500 in a season, then the govt should be able to reallocate 500 fish to the recreational sector next season. Use it or lose it.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Default My rant for the day!

Another decision from Ottawa with no vision on what will happen to local economies!
I think they really under estimate on how much recreational fishing brings to the province. Myself i spent close to $4000-5000.00 a year on the island fishing. I know dozens of other guys as well that live in the same town that do the same.
I just shiver thinking about what's next on their list of cut backs?

I just don't undersand why a small industry like halibut fisherman get power over 99.9% of the public? Recreational fisheries bring in 100 times more business to the island than just yanking the fish out of the water and selling it. Makes no sense to me?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Seems to me that an allocation owner shouldn't be able to NOT fish and then sell rights. For example, if the allocation is to catch 1000 fish and they only catch 500 in a season, then the govt should be able to reallocate 500 fish to the recreational sector next season. Use it or lose it.
Happy to agree with you wholeheartedly on this one Okotokian, Fish it or lose it should be the case, but now the case has been further entrenched to protect those very few Canadians who get to continue to lease it and not fish it for an undetermined time to come, and are laughing at us even harder.
Sad day to be Canadian, ironically almost exactly 1 year ago Canadians felt more harmonius patriotism when Canada scored the 3rd goal in O.T. to win GOLD. Now we are sitting here with a sore Ass thanks to our own Gov't.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 PM

I heard that announcement too, and was also very outraged., so I decided to write my fourth letter to the fisheries minister. I have the letter posted below.

Dear Honorable Gail Shea:
I am writing to you again to express my current thoughts on this BC halibut fishery debate. I heard the decision that was made today and I wasn’t content. I just find it very wrong that it should be the status quo for more than two thirds of a small interest group to own our rights to a common property resource that us tax and license buying Canadians own. I could not even reconcile paying one of these quota-holding, non-active fishers “fish lords” outrageous prices for a resource that they think they all own to themselves. The profit these “fish lords” make does not go towards helping Canada at all, but simply just adds to their pocket. If I bought a fishing license, and didn’t use it all, could I sell the rest of it to someone else? NO. Could a “fish lord” sell their unused license? Yes.
This current policy seems to not be much different than fascism. In Fascist Europe, certain lucky people were chosen to be rich and prosperous while the majority of the citizens were poor from paying all the taxes to pay the minority group of the rich chosen people (nobles). With this current halibut policy, 465 lucky citizens are chosen to “own” 88% of the Common Canadian property resource which is halibut. More than half of these “halibut nobles” then choose to reap huge profits off of the majority group (hundreds of thousands of fed up sport fishers and also the non-quota -holding commercial fishers who hardly make a profit afterwards) instead of the “fish nobles” getting out there and actually fishing like they are supposed to. Again, I think any quota-holders who do not agree to use their quota, should have it withdrawn from them and then it should be evenly divided between non-quota-holding commercial fishers and the sport sector.
I became misguided at one point thinking this short season was because of conservation, but now I know that it just happens to be a natural low-abundance year due to a natural cycle. The IPHC (International Pacific Halibut Commission) does a great job of managing the halibut stocks. However, ling cod and rockfish stocks may start dwindling on the BC coast. This is due to the fact that ling cod and rockfish are slow-growing reef fish and cannot handle heavy fishing pressure. When the halibut season likely closes in the peak of the halibut season, the hundreds of thousands of anglers will target the rockfish and ling cod instead.
Lastly, I think there should be just enough quota to sustain the ever important and quickly growing BC halibut sport fishing industry with halibut limits of 2 per day and 3 in possession. I understand that both the commercial and sport industry are very important. I think it would be evenly fair and square for the sport sector to have 50% of the allocation and the commercial sector to have the other 50%, though I don’t think the sport sector would even need 50% to keep the sport industry prospering.
As long as this policy remains unchanged, I will continue to write letters. If this policy remains unchanged by the next federal election when I’m at a voting age, I will not be checking off the conservative box.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
I heard that announcement too, and was also very outraged., so I decided to write my fourth letter to the fisheries minister. I have the letter posted below.

Dear Honorable Gail Shea:
I am writing to you again to express my current thoughts on this BC halibut fishery debate. I heard the decision that was made today and I wasn’t content. I just find it very wrong that it should be the status quo for more than two thirds of a small interest group to own our rights to a common property resource that us tax and license buying Canadians own. I could not even reconcile paying one of these quota-holding, non-active fishers “fish lords” outrageous prices for a resource that they think they all own to themselves. The profit these “fish lords” make does not go towards helping Canada at all, but simply just adds to their pocket. If I bought a fishing license, and didn’t use it all, could I sell the rest of it to someone else? NO. Could a “fish lord” sell their unused license? Yes.
This current policy seems to not be much different than fascism. In Fascist Europe, certain lucky people were chosen to be rich and prosperous while the majority of the citizens were poor from paying all the taxes to pay the minority group of the rich chosen people (nobles). With this current halibut policy, 465 lucky citizens are chosen to “own” 88% of the Common Canadian property resource which is halibut. More than half of these “halibut nobles” then choose to reap huge profits off of the majority group (hundreds of thousands of fed up sport fishers and also the non-quota -holding commercial fishers who hardly make a profit afterwards) instead of the “fish nobles” getting out there and actually fishing like they are supposed to. Again, I think any quota-holders who do not agree to use their quota, should have it withdrawn from them and then it should be evenly divided between non-quota-holding commercial fishers and the sport sector.
I became misguided at one point thinking this short season was because of conservation, but now I know that it just happens to be a natural low-abundance year due to a natural cycle. The IPHC (International Pacific Halibut Commission) does a great job of managing the halibut stocks. However, ling cod and rockfish stocks may start dwindling on the BC coast. This is due to the fact that ling cod and rockfish are slow-growing reef fish and cannot handle heavy fishing pressure. When the halibut season likely closes in the peak of the halibut season, the hundreds of thousands of anglers will target the rockfish and ling cod instead.
Lastly, I think there should be just enough quota to sustain the ever important and quickly growing BC halibut sport fishing industry with halibut limits of 2 per day and 3 in possession. I understand that both the commercial and sport industry are very important. I think it would be evenly fair and square for the sport sector to have 50% of the allocation and the commercial sector to have the other 50%, though I don’t think the sport sector would even need 50% to keep the sport industry prospering.
As long as this policy remains unchanged, I will continue to write letters. If this policy remains unchanged by the next federal election when I’m at a voting age, I will not be checking off the conservative box.
Good on you for the immediate follow up letter Jwood. This issue will have huge effects on the conservatives on the coast, and your local Alberta MP's need to realize this issue will provide nothing but a strain on their party's future. What is next, Moose? Whitetails? Pike? Whitefish?.............
Old 03-20-2011, 04:04 PM

Sad circumstance...

I can't believe the government would sell off the Halibut as a resource to foreign interests.

Also expecting the recreational angler as a group to lease a slot of the quota. Sick.

Quote from Gail Shea Fisheries minister - "Therefore, for the 2011 season only, we will undertake a trial to make available to interested recreational stakeholders experimental licenses that will allow them to lease quota from commercial harvesters."

Canadians leasing Canadian harvest from foreigners, WTF??

Foolhardy to try and manage a fishery like oil/gas, forestry, and mining, etc.

Road hunting is not hunting.

Last edited by DuckBrat; 03-20-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:09 PM

Wow, that's kinda disheartening to hear. Sure sounds also like a sign of some bad things to come.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Sad circumstance...

I can't believe the government would sell off the Halibut as a resource to foreign interests.

Also expecting the recreational angler as a group to lease a slot of the quota. Sick.

Quote from Gail Shea Fisheries minister - "Therefore, for the 2011 season only, we will undertake a trial to make available to interested recreational stakeholders experimental licenses that will allow them to lease quota from commercial harvesters."

Canadians leasing Canadian harvest from foreigners, WTF??

Foolhardy to try and manage a fishery like oil/gas, forestry, and mining, etc.
Last year I lived on the Sunshine coast and had a fishin talk with one of the natives running a hatchery,, he brought up an interesting point; if you wanted to drill for oil off Haida Guai, what would be your biggest obstacle? (rhet),
The most productive wild salmon run in the world. Phenomenal Halibut.

It's not that farfetched when you think of the ill-logic of making an oil port at Kitimat, or placing fishfarms right at the delta of the Fraser.

No fish, no obstacle, simple.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Default Early season

How early do we expect the Halibut season to close this year? I plan on making a trip out there in the middle of July to hopefully catch a couple if possible!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this...but I'll be voting NDP next election...and doing everything I can to ensure my MP John Duncan is not re-elected.
Now your voting properly , NDP is a govt for joe six pack , not Mac the Multi millionaire , good for you
Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks for bringing this up again guys.

Halibut is becoming a major election issue on the coast, and we will be pushing it harder than ever, especially in ridings like Vancouver Island North.

MANY Coastal AND inland Communities, Elected Councils, Business Associations as well as Chambers of Commerce have written strong letters of support for recreational Halibut access.
As an example, a letter this week from the the city of Vanderhoof, (not on the coast ) has more heads turning....

Many coastal communities have been rallying to bring this issue forward to the UBCM -Union of BC Municipalities as well as the Vancouver Island Coast Community Network. The UBCM can bring forward a resolution to support our issue, and have had "success" in the past with issues regarding Steelhead on the Skeena system and gov't awareness and subsequent action.

I am again asking any and all of you to bring this issue up with your local MP's as they WILL be hearing about it in the very near future. Hopefully it will be on their own election platform in support....

This is a recent article printed this week:

It's a fish tale that could sway the outcome of a federal election, its sponsors say.
The BC Sportfishing Coalition has launched an advertising campaign to protest the amount of halibut legally available for recreational fishermen to catch.
"This issue could cost the Conservatives the next election," the ad reads.
The ad, entitled The Great Canadian Halibut Heist, was printed in newspapers in Victoria, Vancouver and Ottawa.
It suggests Gail Shea, minister of fisheries and oceans, believes Canada's halibut stock should be privately owned.
Under the current regulations, established in 2003, commercial fishermen are allowed to fish 88 per cent of the national quota, while recreational fishermen are allowed to fish for the remaining 12 per cent.
If those fishing recreationally reach their quota before the end of the season, they can either stop for the season, or buy more quota from commercial fishermen.
Paul Rickard, of the British Columbia Wildlife Federation said the current system is ... fishy.
He called the regulations an "illegal and blatant privatization of the fish in the ocean, which is a common property resource for the people of Canada."
He said the impact to the charter and guide fishing industry has been negative, because fishermen are not able to book trips for clients far in advance, since they don't know when the season will end.
The coalition comprises 10 organizations close to the recreational fishing industry.
The coalition is calling for a "fair fishery" for the recreational fishing industry. It wants the federal government to set aside enough quota to let fishermen fish for the entire season.
Rickard said the purpose of the ad was to inform the public and to make halibut allocation an election issue.
He identified one Conservative riding, Vancouver Island North, which he said could be won or lost on the halibut issue.
Indian Affairs and Northern Development Minister John Duncan is the MP for the riding.
"We have made this clearly an issue in that riding," Rickard said.
"Its going to have an impact on (Duncan's) re-election potential."
A statement from Shea's office, said Randy Kamp, her parliamentary secretary, is working toward a solution with all the partners involved.
"The sooner a permanent solution is found, the sooner British Columbians can put uncertainty behind them and look forward to a viable future for this fishery," the statement said.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:36 PM

I have a coho trip booked in September, and was going to book a halibut charter - kind of difficult not knowing if there is a season.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Now your voting properly , NDP is a govt for joe six pack , not Mac the Multi millionaire , good for you
Right!!!! And who pays for all those fuzzy NDP programs Bud?

There is no free lunch.

BTW I was at Costco. Halibut was $45 a kilo.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-23-2011, 01:06 PM
AO Sponsor

I'm positive John Duncan won't be re-elected...and as a former (before Shea's announcement) card carrying Conservative, it pains me to say I will do everything in my power to ensure he does not get re-elected...Vancouver Island North is my riding, and I'll do what it takes to make sure this guy realizes his political tenure is OVER!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
I'm positive John Duncan won't be re-elected...and as a former (before Shea's announcement) card carrying Conservative, it pains me to say I will do everything in my power to ensure he does not get re-elected...Vancouver Island North is my riding, and I'll do what it takes to make sure this guy realizes his political tenure is OVER!
David,

We are learning more and more that there are strength in numbers, and you are part of a strong Army of concerned BC residents that are very focused on getting that snake Duncan out of Ottawa....Randy Kamp in another one...

Go hard and don't quit..
Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM

So basically if I wanted to take more than two halibut home I have to go to a greedy commercial fisherman or corporation and ask, "please sir may I have some more?" And then compensate them for their lost income (which is a much larger percentage of my salary than theirs) for the chance to legally increase my limit to a reasonable number for a once a year fisherman? I'm sure there's going to be no government program to facilitate this either so we'll just have to take a piece of paper and wander around the docks until someone agrees to sign it?

That's my understanding of it.

And what happens if I don't limit out on my new quota? Do I just lose my money?

Even more reason for me to dislike the Conservatives. Yet most of Alberta vote for them "because I'm Albertan and I'm supposed to" and for no other reason.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Default Time to get Dirty!

If fisheries and the commercial quota holders are successful with privitizing halibut, crab, shrimp and salmon will be next. This is a Canadian issue. Please voice your opposition to the feds.

Some new info. Government officials are going to be ducking for cover. The legal fight begins.

These are letters from a HuntingBC.ca forum member, IronNoggin.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...963#post884963

Quote:
Letter to PM Harper re: Halibut

Last Friday:

"Dear Prime Minister Harper,

I am writing to appraise you and your cabinet of an impending Scandal that has a very good chance of effecting the outcome of the pending election:

At this point in time I am reasonably certain you are aware of the growing concerns regarding the Fair and Equitable Allocation of the Halibut Resource in the Pacific. The matter to which I refer is directly related.

In this Country, it is fact and Legal Prerequisite that a properly "Licensed Commercial Vessel" is required to own or procure halibut quota.
However an investigation of the Public Records of the "Vessels" these Licenses have been, and continue to be issued to today, leads to many questions. (Reference: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Op...portSelect.cfm )
Many are registered with simple "K" or "BC" number registrations, which are very much NOT commercial fishing vessels (which require a CFV - Commercial Fishing Vessel assignment). And many are far to small in size, as little as NINE Feet, to realistically fall into the range of Legal Classification.

The majority of the "vessels" that fall into this non-compliant category are held by absentee Quota Holders as a method of eliminating related operational expenses. "Absentee" in that these individuals do not set foot on a working fishing vessel, preferring to lease their quotas at grossly inflated prices to those who actually do engage in active fishing. All of the "vessels" that are associated with the above noted discrepancies fall outside the scope of the Legal Description of Licensed Commercial Fishing Vessels, and as such are ILLEGAL under Canadian Law. Thus, any and all Halibut Quota assigned to those same "vessels" have been issued inappropriately, and therefore contravene the Legal Mechanisms in place regarding the terms of procurement and ownership of the same. This is not simply a limited case of a singular incidence nor a one time occurrence. In fact the number of "vessels" that fall into the Illegal Classification are numerous, and a review of the relevant Public Records well indicate this practice has been in effect for many years.

While at this point it is somewhat difficult to decidedly prove collusion between the related Quota Holders and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans in this matter, one would think that even a cursory inspection by anyone within the Department with an understanding of the Legal Requirements would have noticed these discrepancies well before now. Thus, DFO, whether by collusion or gross dereliction of duty, is actively involved in the commission of ongoing illegal activities relating to the issuance of Halibut Quota to non-conforming "vessel" owners.

One would tend to perceive that this matter should be of grave concern for a Government facing the distinct possibility of an impending election. The ensuing scandal would obviously not add to your cause of re-election, and in fact quite obviously would have the reverse effect.

The issue of Allocation regarding the halibut resource has become a very heated matter, with a great many noting extreme displeasure with your Minister's ruling that the General Public may now purchase rights of access to their own resource (according to the Supreme Court of Canada) from those same absentee owners, many of which are directly involved in the above noted illegal acts of procurement. The angst amongst the Recreational Sector is growing daily in British Columbia and spreading eastward in a rapid manner. The level of that angst has not perhaps been overly noticeable in Ottawa, but is extremely likely to cost your Party seats in numerous ridings were an election to be called forthwith. A related scandal regarding the matter described above carries serious potential of costing even more.

As with all such matters, timing plays a significant role. I would tend to believe that a Statement from Yourself regarding the Conservative Party's position regarding returning the halibut resource to its' rightful owners, All the People of Canada, would go a long way towards diffusing the current situation in Western Canada. And may well preclude the necessity of this significant matter regarding illegal Licenses of Convenience and related inappropriate quota assignment to the same from going public until such time as an election has been completed. Alternatively, there are several investigative reporters poised to introduce this matter to the Canadian Public immediately, whether or not an election is forthcoming. The decision of just how this now proceeds is very much in your hands.

In the past, inquiries related to these matters have been redirected from your Office to that of Minister Shea's. I am directly requesting that at this juncture a reply be forthcoming from your own Office in alternative.

I look forward to your timely response. Given this is a time sensitive issue and in recognition of your overly busy schedule, I am affording you two days hence to reply before pursuing this matter any further.

Sincerely,
Me"

And the reply:

Dear Mr. Stabler:
On behalf of the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, I would like to thank you for your recent e-mail.

Please be assured that your comments have been noted and that they will receive due consideration from the Minister, who has already received a copy of your correspondence.

M.F. Bustos
Manager/Gestionnaire
Executive Correspondence Services
for the Prime Minister's Office

WRONG ANSWER!
Quote:
Re: Letter to PM Harper re: Halibut

In response, the following was submitted to the RCMP Commissioner William Elliot, the Attorney Generals of Canada and BC, the Auditor General, Justice Minister and the Chief Supreme Court Justice this date. Now being circulated to the media, and members of the Opposition:

"Notification of Federal Department of Fisheries & Oceans Direct Involvement in Illegal Licensing Scheme

I am writing to inform your Organizations of DFO's involvement in an Illegal Licensing Scheme related to the issuance of Halibut Quota, and to request an Investigation of this matter be conducted by the Proper Legal Authorities immediately.

In Canada, it is fact and Legal Prerequisite that a properly "Licensed Commercial Vessel" is required to own or procure halibut quota.
However an investigation of the Public Records of the "Vessels" these Licenses have been, and continue to be issued to today, leads to the conclusion that certain commercial operators are openly non-compliant with the related Legislation and are supported in this action by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. (Reference: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Op...portSelect.cfm )
Many are registered with simple "K" or "BC" number registrations, which are very much NOT commercial fishing vessels (which require a CFV - Commercial Fishing Vessel assignment). And many are far to small in size, as little as nine Feet, to realistically fall into the range of Legal Classification.

The majority of the "vessels" that fall into these non-compliant categories are held by absentee Quota Holders as a method of eliminating related operational expenses. "Absentee" in that these individuals do not set foot on a working fishing vessel, preferring to lease their quotas at grossly inflated prices to those who actually do engage in active fishing. All of the "vessels" that are associated with the above noted discrepancies fall outside the scope of the Legal Description of Licensed Commercial Fishing Vessels, and as such are ILLEGAL under Canadian Law. Thus, any and all Halibut Quota assigned to those same "vessels" have been issued inappropriately, and therefore contravene the Legal Mechanisms in place regarding the terms of procurement and ownership of the same. This is not simply a limited case of a singular incidence nor a one time occurrence. In fact the number of "vessels" that fall into the Illegal Classification are numerous, and a review of the relevant Public Records well indicate this practice has been in effect for many years.

Your Organizations represent the Proper Legal Authorities for investigating collusion between the related Quota Holders and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans in this matter, so it is for that explicit reason I am contacting you today. When informed of these findings, DFO has provided disparate and convoluted replies ranging from This procedure is addressed in a Private In-House Manual not available to the General Public, to requests for specific Vessel and related Licensing Information, even going so far as to indicate that a plank, flower pot, row boat, or smaller sport fishing boat is fine with DFO, if it is registered. It was noted that "Vessels" that are de-commissioned, sunk, or sold to foreign interests would result in suspension of quota. However there exists no communication protocol between DFO and Transport Canada in this regard. Thus DFO is not aware of the number of existing Licenses that may have been issued to vessels falling within this non-compliant description.

The Department's assertions aside, the existence of an In-House Policy Manual nor the in-house mindset amongst those involved in DFO forgives them the requirement to ensure their actions are compliant with existing Legislation directly intended to govern their responsibilities and resultant actions. Simply put, acting outside of that Legislation, as they are in this matter, would require an Act of Parliament or Supreme Court Ruling to proceed. Thus, DFO, by collusion and gross dereliction of duty, is actively involved in the commission of ongoing illegal activities relating to the issuance of Halibut Quota to non-conforming "vessel" owners.

It is an extremely serious matter when a Federal Ministry takes upon itself the determination of their compliance of Legislation and Rule of Law specifically in place to govern their very operations. In this particular matter, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans has intentionally chosen to ignore the Rule of Law that specifically sets forth what is, and what is not allowable regarding the holding and procurement of Commercial Halibut Quota in the Pacific Region. As those actions are well outside of their own mandate, and well outside of the pertinent Legislation, I am hereby requesting a Formal Investigation be conducted to determine the extent of non-compliance from DFO in this matter.

I am available at your convenience to discuss this matter, any related clarification and/or issues of concern.
I am looking forward to hearing from each of you that this matter will be afforded the attention it deserves in a timely manner.

Sincerely, "

Awaiting their responses...
Nog
Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Default A Prime Example of the Battle

Here Here!!!!

Nog knows exactly what he is talking about on this issue, and has brought a new twist to the flawed decision making of our "soon to be ex- "Fisheries Minister Shea.

The more MP's that get on side of the facts for Canadian anglers, the better it will be for us, and for their own upcoming campaigns.

J.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM

While I applaud "IronNoggin" for his researched and apparently well supported letters, I can't help but see them as nothing more than attempted blackmail.

He suggests to the PM himself that his silence could be bought, and then gives him a two day deadline to do so. My response would likely have consisted of two, short, words, regardless of the validity of the information.

Stupid move, if you ask me.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Yep, I applaud him to. Just wish he could have left our reworded those couple of sentences. Oh well, cheers to him! He certainly did a nice job on all the rest.

I hope things can change. If not this year then hopefully a killed pilot by next year.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
How early do we expect the Halibut season to close this year? I plan on making a trip out there in the middle of July to hopefully catch a couple if possible!
It was proposed that the season could end as early as mid July or early August.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.