Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2019, 08:51 PM

Default October hunting so far

Well, our annual great Alberta bird safari got cancelled for several reasons, one being Hornhead was laid up in bed with the flu, the other, a great big dump of snow at thee wrong time and sdvc had some personal issues to deal with
Seeing as how I had already booked the week, I started it off goal this year of taking everything with family heirlooms, but taking a doe with Dad's 280 I dubbed "Spare parts" that was literally made from parts!( that is another story!)

So, with the magazine taped off because the floor plate was puking out the magazine spring and follower on a regular basis, II headed afield and managed to shoot a nice doe on the Sunday morning of October 6th.
All well and good, and with an ejector spring magically busting the night before, I was lucky enough to anchor it !

Then I had a call from Joe at the hotel Sunday night asking if I was on my way and I told him II had cancelled, but he didn't get the message!
I contacted Oldgutpile and told him I was headed down anyway on Monday!
More to follow!
Cat
Old 10-14-2019, 08:58 PM
Banned

Congrats
Old 10-14-2019, 09:27 PM

Good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2019, 09:33 PM

So, after running down to stop in at leo's place to drop off a rifle for his nephew, I continued on to Brooks to meet up with Oldgutpile to chase some released rooster (the regular season in that area wasn't open yet) and some sharptails and hopefully get in on a goose shoot or two.
Out came the model 12 that the Oldman used as a company gun when he worked for C.I.L., and I can honestly say that is the LAST time that tank will hit the uplands!
I also shot some birds with Grand dad's Lefeachaux underlever 16, a very old black powder cartridge gun that I load brass cases with 68 grains of FFG and 7/8oz of 6 copper or nickle plated shot.

It still kills roosters does well over the dogs.
This pic is very washed out ( story of my life) but you get thee idea!

This is a better pic of it from a few years back.

I finished up there and took off to Provost, but unfortunately the night before the sloughs froze and the birds were not settling in the area!
I did have aa great evening scouting however with John Stuart and his dogs, his GSP in particular took a shine too me!

The next day I headed back north too try for some ruffies and waterfowl with my hunting buddy from the Westlock area.
The ruffies were around, and managed three with The old family Stevens 311 410 that was originally Grand dad's, then my father's- I shot my first ruffed grouse with this gun BTW, 55 years ago!

after that, we set up for a goose shoot but with the wind right, and the sun and no clouds were wrong, the geese flared, so we only took two, however a bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work!

After that it was back home , all the while getting a running commentary from Dick284 and Rugersingle who were chasing waterfowl across the province and having a riot doing it!

The 16 will get some more time on rufffies this week, as will the Chance and Sons SxS 14 gauge , and Dad's trusty old No.1Mk3 Enfield with get out for another deer hopefully!
So far last week as a success, as I was able to salvage a trip, even though Hornhead and sdvc missed it, but OldGutpile was a gracious host as always !
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-14-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:14 PM
Banned

Looking good Cat!

I can’t wait for the update at the end of November, and to hear the story of “spare parts”....... sounds like you’ll need some more spare parts come next season, lol!
Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Looking good Cat!

I can’t wait for the update at the end of November, and to hear the story of “spare parts”....... sounds like you’ll need some more spare parts come next season, lol!
Thanks Kurt.
I'll have it sorted out for November's hunt for sure, however seeing how my main rifle is a single shoot anyway, i don''t see and issue !
Cat
Old 10-14-2019, 10:19 PM

That looks like a well spent few days, pretty special doing it with guns passed down a couple generations.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-14-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
That looks like a well spent few days, pretty special doing it with guns passed down a couple generations.
It was an unpredictable week and yes, fun for sure! Special? YOU BET it was!!
it is a riot watching birds fall from the sky using the old guns!
Cat
Old 10-14-2019, 11:09 PM

Way to get after it cowboy!
Much needed reprieve from renovating I bet. Still headed back this way in November?

Last edited by Moo Snukkle; 10-14-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:15 PM
Banned

Well done. Love the field photos and the old guns, Especially that shotty.

That's some good eating.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Way to get after it cowboy!
Much needed reprieve from renovating I bet. Still headed back this way in November?
You bet it is Moo Snukkle!!and yup, we will meet up with you in November!
Thanks casterblasterand thanks and yes, I love hunting with the old guns, and next year plan on learning how to shoot with a camera as well so I don't mess up the pics as much!
Cat
Old 10-15-2019, 07:18 AM

Fantastic thread!! Keep posting! Great pics. I love old guns...especially when they are still in working condition.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:23 AM
Banned

Enjoyed the story, thx for the share cat
Old 10-15-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterBlaster View Post
Well done. Love the field photos and the old guns, Especially that shotty.

That's some good eating.
I know the underlever is close to 100 years old now, haven't dated the M12, but the 410 date codde is 1965.
Cat
Old 10-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Great story! thanks for sharing
Old 10-15-2019, 08:21 AM

Great stories. That GSP looks like a real bud. Love in them eyes.