Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2020, 09:24 AM

Default Wet wading boots/shoe recommendations

I am looking for a new pair of wet wading shoes/boots. I had some old simms and they bit the bullet last year. I should start by saying I don't like sandals and I don't like wearing wading boots with a sock or neoprene sock as a wet wading option. I tried last years simms riprap WW shoe but didnt like them, I have not tried this years wet wading shoe by simms yet.

I am currently wearing just running shoes and its not ideal for me.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:40 AM

I’ll be watching this as I prefer not wearing waders. I can see putting some felt soles on a light hiking boot. Taking the usual precautions with the felt of course.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:52 AM

Korkers all the way for me. I have two sets. I have a no waders pair and a pair for my waders. Just about to pick up the dark horse Korkers. I prefer the dial in wire laces too - just makes everything easier.

Shoes, sandles...forget it. You need ankle support for rock wading, hiking, climbing, etc.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
I’ll be watching this as I prefer not wearing waders. I can see putting some felt soles on a light hiking boot. Taking the usual precautions with the felt of course.
I am with you, I will sooner freeze then wear waders. When I started wet wading years ago, I hate putting on my waders now.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:49 PM

Salomon speedcross. Been using em for 4 seasons now and they are perfectly suited for wet wading

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 06-26-2020, 06:53 PM

I have the Salomon Techamphibians from last year and really like them.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remps17 View Post
I am with you, I will sooner freeze then wear waders. When I started wet wading years ago, I hate putting on my waders now.
When the water is cold I wear neoprene socks and pants under regular pants or shorts. Later in the year don’t need the neoprene pants but always use the socks
Old 06-27-2020, 11:49 AM

Ummm...just tried on my new Darkhorse Korkers....best ever! DKs have are a higher boot and the dial wire laces. I had a wet wade pair with this and loved them.

My previous Korkers with my waders were a lower end model with the sinch laces and only a bit of high to them. Not much for ankle support. Usually would take me about 5 minutes of fighting with them when putting on my waders. After I got them on, great! But otherwise fighting and adjusting and swearing the entire time. Get my waders on today, get ready for another cussing session... open up the DKs and this literally slip right on! Both feet, tighten down the wires with the dial. Good to go in 30 seconds...with waders. Extremely comfortable. Surprised how much better these are made then the lower down model I had.

Stoked! Now stop raining so I can hit the East slopes.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:06 PM

Sooo

I’ve always just made my own...

Take a used pair of runners

Small pack of short hex screws

Dab shoo goo in 6-7 places

Drill screws into the shoe goo dabs and
Into the shoe rubber

Done.

Cost is less than $3

Works fine
If you need felt... do a strip of it at the upper ball and secure it with screws....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-27-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Whats the regs on felt soles in Alberta now?
Old 06-27-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Whats the regs on felt soles in Alberta now?
The only prohibition is within the federal park system.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban.../peche-fishing

It's somewhat silly, as there are so many other possible vectors of transmission and little or no science to show that WD is being transmitted through wading boots. Some US states have even rolled back prior bans (Vermont?).

A number of American states have bans in effect:

https://guiderecommended.com/banned-felt-sole/

(Note: article is somewhat dated and I have not checked on current status)

That said, please clean waders and/or boots after fishing and/or before moving to different streams. A number of "bad" things can be transported in such a way (even invasive species), so it "clean and dry" should be universal protocol.

I tried lug-soled boots and they almost killed me. They are just not suited for fishing on southern Alberta freestone streams - way too slippery. I have some balance issues (from a non-fishing injury) and now use felt + screws and it's the only way I can safely wade like I used to. Further, WD has been found in almost every stream I fish ( Bow, Oldman, and Red Deer watersheds). However, considering that I could transfer another disease or invasive species, I always give a blast with a hose when I get home and dry them.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I should start by saying I don't like sandals
I wore sandals last week in Upper Highwood and some of the creeks further up the FTR and what a mistake that was. First of all, the water was so cold in those feeder creeks that my legs became painfully numb within a minute or two. Secondly, I was constantly having to pick pebbles out from under my foot. I'm sticking with wading boots. Probably buy a pair of those neoprene socks to wear when I dont want/need waders.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post
I wore sandals last week in Upper Highwood and some of the creeks further up the FTR and what a mistake that was. First of all, the water was so cold in those feeder creeks that my legs became painfully numb within a minute or two. Secondly, I was constantly having to pick pebbles out from under my foot. I'm sticking with wading boots. Probably buy a pair of those neoprene socks to wear when I dont want/need waders.
Yeah I have a huge hatred for wading sandals. Lol. Specially in spring creeks.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:02 AM

There isn't much of a market for fishing with sandals in Alberta. As mentioned, you really need some ankle support. Probably good to cool the feet off in mountains streams once in a while but not sure about the whole day. Sandals are more suited to warmer climates, flats fishing, etc. They generally have a hard plastic sole to protect your feet from sharp shells, etc. As indicated above, even with the open concept and drain holes, etc., you're always picking pebbles out from under your feet.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:29 AM

Something a little different but some guys might find interesting. I picked up some quicksilver amphibious shoes. Yes they are made by a surf company and the soles are made by a tire company but the are extremely light weight and drain from the sole as well as entire shoe. When you step out of the water they feel instantly dry. Not squishy. I got them as just a wear around shoe but always a chance I might stop for a quick fish and could get wet. I got them on sale online for $65. They are not my main shoe I take for a day fishing but nice for someone doing a day in the drift boat and go in the water occasionally or just doing a short fish from the bank and don’t want big clunky boots
Old 06-29-2020, 08:42 PM

I've wet waded most of my life, this is the way it is, for Kiwi backcountry, hike in over sum mountains, fish the pristine river, good pr hiking boots and rugby shorts, if its real cold, heavy wool socks and longjohns, (thermals) longjohns are good for hiding white legs too.
I've got several pr waders, but will wet wade most of the time, kinda depends on the type fishing, lots walking, wet wading makes a lot of sense. unless real cold.
I wear my simms, G3's with two pr socks sometimes, if not heaps walking, they half the price of my Lowa Tibbets,
Old 07-01-2020, 09:29 AM

I am in the same boat as you, and am going to try these out. Looks like you can use them without wading socks, and they keep the rocks and sand out. Also looks like The Fishin Hole has them in stock and are a decent price. Been looking for something like these for wet wading for 20 years lol. Worth a try I think!

https://www.hodgman.com/hodgman-wade...5.html#start=5
Old 07-01-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Salmon View Post
I am in the same boat as you, and am going to try these out. Looks like you can use them without wading socks, and they keep the rocks and sand out. Also looks like The Fishin Hole has them in stock and are a decent price. Been looking for something like these for wet wading for 20 years lol. Worth a try I think!

https://www.hodgman.com/hodgman-wade...5.html#start=5
I have a pair of those and they are not great for wading here. Can be super slippery and the top is not tight enough to stop debris from getting into the shoe. I think they are meant more for wading on flats or use on boats. I use them with flippers on a belly boat too.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
I have a pair of those and they are not great for wading here. Can be super slippery and the top is not tight enough to stop debris from getting into the shoe. I think they are meant more for wading on flats or use on boats. I use them with flippers on a belly boat too.
I agree with this. I have a similar pair for warm water flats fishing but your feet would get pretty sore with the lack of support hiking in the hills and rock beds here. I am guessing the footwear the OP is after and we are discussing here has a decent shank.

Anyone share this memory? In the 1990s Hi-Tech use to have a decent inexpensive hightop hiker that actually worked quite well!