Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 07:32 PM

Default Floating line?

What do some of you more experienced stillwater fly fisherman suggest as a good floating line for indicator fishing with longer leaders, eg. 12’. I’m a intermediate caster who tends to like making longer casts. Thanks very much for your help everyone!
Old 06-20-2020, 08:46 PM

I like the Scientific Anglers Mastery MPX. It's a weight forward line and turns over indicators and large flies well.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:50 PM

I like the Rio Indicator lines 'cause I tend to load up with 2 or 3 flies being suspended, 5 or 6 wt lines; may as well optimize one's chances but can get messy in the wind!

I don't believe that long casts are needed for indicator fishing, some of my largest trout have been taken within less than 20 feet out from the boat.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I like the Scientific Anglers Mastery MPX. It's a weight forward line and turns over indicators and large flies well.
I have used this same line for 3 years.Great buy..Good line..
Old 06-21-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
I like the Rio Indicator lines 'cause I tend to load up with 2 or 3 flies being suspended, 5 or 6 wt lines; may as well optimize one's chances but can get messy in the wind!

I don't believe that long casts are needed for indicator fishing, some of my largest trout have been taken within less than 20 feet out from the boat.
Agreed, the Rio indicator is one of the best lines I've ever used. It is perfect for its purpose and once you learn to aerialize the line the way you can move big indicator rigs is unprecedented. Single hand spey, massive roll casts, tight steeples and changing of directions are relatively easy with this line considering your trailing a bundle of bait.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:29 AM

Default Floating line?

Has anyone tried Barrow fly lines? They are out of the U.K. and are suppose to be excellent. Best of all, they are half the price of what we get here, and the shipping is free. They are very popular in places like New Zealand and Europe. Found them on the internet under Barrow fly lines.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Has anyone tried Barrow fly lines? They are out of the U.K. and are suppose to be excellent. Best of all, they are half the price of what we get here, and the shipping is free. They are very popular in places like New Zealand and Europe. Found them on the internet under Barrow fly lines.

I have been using the Barrio SLX 3wt line for about 4 years. Really like it for the price. Quality line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2020, 03:24 PM

SA Titan for me great line
Old 06-22-2020, 04:30 PM

Default Floating line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
I have been using the Barrio SLX 3wt line for about 4 years. Really like it for the price. Quality line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jason, I’m going to give it a try. Appreciate your review.