Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 PM
TheHunter

Default Legal aspects of small non-game hunting?

This is my first post on the site. I am going out for a quading/camping day-trip this weekend, and would like to get a rabbit or a few squirrels to throw into the pot.
I have read over the Alberta Hunteing regulations 2008.
(http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun.../gameregs.html)
This is all it said:
Other Animals
Porcupine, rabbit, hare, skunk, raccoon and woodchuck may be hunted, but not trapped*, without a licence throughout the province, at all times of the year.

I just completed the coarse, but have not got the certificate in the mail yet to get a WIN number. My Question is do i need any sort of licence to get the above game, including squirrel.
-thank you

p.s. what does it mean by "tags" at the bottom of this page.

Last edited by TheHunter; 02-19-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 PM
troller

If you mean "tags" when you started this thread they are key words you can use that will help if someone uses the search function. So if you would have put in "small" "game" "hunting"...this thread will come up if any of those tag words are used in a search.

I will have to pass on the small game info as I am not 100% sure and I don't want to give out uninformed information
Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter View Post
This is my first post on the site. I am going out for a quading/camping day-trip this weekend, and would like to get a rabbit or a few squirrels to throw into the pot.
I have read over the Alberta Hunteing regulations 2008.
(http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun.../gameregs.html)
This is all it said:
Other Animals
Porcupine, rabbit, hare, skunk, raccoon and woodchuck may be hunted, but not trapped*, without a licence throughout the province, at all times of the year.

I just completed the coarse, but have not got the certificate in the mail yet to get a WIN number. My Question is do i need any sort of licence to get the above game, including squirrel. I will be on crown land by Sundre, if this matters...

-thank you

p.s. what does it mean by "tags" at the bottom of this page.
No license is needed for the above game, but you can't shoot squirrels. Need a trapping license to bag squirrels.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 PM
TheHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troller View Post
If you mean "tags" when you started this thread they are key words you can use that will help if someone uses the search function. So if you would have put in "small" "game" "hunting"...this thread will come up if any of those tag words are used in a search.

I will have to pass on the small game info as I am not 100% sure and I don't want to give out uninformed information
Thank you. I think I am starting to figure out how to use this site.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:24 PM
TheHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
No license is needed for the above game, but you can't shoot squirrels. Need a trapping license to bag squirrels.
Thanks so much. I have spent many hours trying to figure this out.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 PM
troller

Quote:
Thank you. I think I am starting to figure out how to use this site.
No problem and Welcome aboard
Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 PM
TheHunter

Now that i know rabbit is legal, i am wondering how to find them. I am always quading, hiking and camping, but it is very rare that I see a rabbit quading, and i have never seen one around my camp or while im out hiking, not that i look very hard. if and when i do find one, how do i get close to it. I am planning on getting a pellet gun, about 600-700 fps, and i already have a crossbow. i have no second thoughts about the killing power of the crossbow, but how well would this pellet gun fair against a large hare.

Last edited by TheHunter; 02-21-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I am planning on getting a pellet gun, about 600-700 fps, and i already have a 50 pound pistol crossbow. i have no second thoughts about the killing power of the crossbow, but how well would this pellet gun fair against a large hare.
All you will do is injure the rabbit with a 177 of that speed, not reccomended unless you have a higher speed 22 cal pellet gun. Use a 22 lr, its much more humane.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
TheHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck44 View Post
All you will do is injure the rabbit with a 177 of that speed, not reccomended unless you have a higher speed 22 cal pellet gun. Use a 22 lr, its much more humane.
My dad has a 22 i could use. tnx for the advice.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Now that i know rabbit is legal, i am wondering how to find them. I am always quading, hiking and camping, but it is very rare that I see a rabbit quading, and i have never seen one around my camp or while im out hiking, not that i look very hard. if and when i do find one, how do i get close to it. I am planning on getting a pellet gun, about 600-700 fps, and i already have a 50 pound pistol crossbow. i have no second thoughts about the killing power of the crossbow, but how well would this pellet gun fair against a large hare.
You may want to check. I thought pistol crossbows were prohibited weapons? You don't want to get yourself into crap... (been a long time since I checked this, so please check before taking me as being accurate).
Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
gitrdun

Quote:
Now that i know rabbit is legal, i am wondering how to find them. I am always quading, hiking and camping, but it is very rare that I see a rabbit quading, and i have never seen one around my camp or while im out hiking, not that i look very hard. if and when i do find one, how do i get close to it. I am planning on getting a pellet gun, about 600-700 fps, and i already have a 50 pound pistol crossbow. i have no second thoughts about the killing power of the crossbow, but how well would this pellet gun fair against a large hare.
Look below your waste line (where you pi$$). There are two large appendages, they are called "legs". Last I heard them "legs" were meant for "walking". Put one in front of the other and vice versa...forward motion will occur.......that is called "walking". Try it sometimes and maybe even take a breath of fresh air without quad fumes, you just might like it. And then, maybe....just maybe...you might just be "TheWalker" instead of "TheHunter".
Old 02-19-2009, 07:09 AM

Now there are a few other things to remember.

Do you have a valid firearms licence?

Is your Dad's 22 rifle properly registered?

Maintain a wide berth around buildings.

Be aware of lands that may have special status, such as Parks, and Recreational Areas.

Come up lacking on any of the above, and you may be having a bit of a time going forward.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
rabbit can hear the quad from miles away and they would be long gone. and id agree with others, stick with the 22.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:31 PM

you can take em out with a pellet gun no problem as long as you get them in the head...
Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 PM

Default flawed

I hate to be the one to say this ,but anyone can get a win card ,you dont need any courses or certificates as you are waiting for.. OUR SYSTEM HAS A LARGE FLAW IN IT.
also i have read something on here about having a legally registered gun ,do not know what this is about ,i am sure most guys on here hunt with guns that have never made it to the system and never will. HOW MANY GUYS EVER HAD TO PRODUCE A REG CARD FOR A GUN.\NOT ME , EVER .
i AM NOT SAYING BREAK THE LAW i AM SAYING NOT TO GET TOO INVOLVED IN THE BS. go out and shoot a few hare or squirrels and have a good day
I am sure the guy said he just finished his hunting course so im sure he knows some rules ,like buildings and stuff.And as long as he is with someone with a firearm cert ,he can use thier gun.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 PM

squirrels are to be left alone and to shoot anything you need your hunters certificate and which means you need to be able to hold license shoot just about anything now if you come across fish and game i have no clue what they will say but that's what i know the law as i had to wait till last year to shoot coyotes and was told by a guide buddy of mine that i could get in crap for shooting gophers even
Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 AM

As I understand to kill anything you have to have your Win card and a hunting licence. there are no tags for the animals you are looking to kill. as already said, no shooting squirrels, they fall under the fur bearer and are only aloud to be trapped.
Have you received your PAL yet? if not then you have to be with someone who has it to be able to go out and shoot.
Rabbits are fairly easy to find, you can see their tracks and the bark stripped off of the trees along the bottom. remember they will see you first so you have to be quick. Apparently they taste real woody this time of year, so keep that in mind. They would be a better meal in the fall.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 PM

You should try snaring some rabbits, I think its easier than trying to find them in the snow and shooting them. There is some information on how to do it if you do a search.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 PM

After a lengthy talk with the 'fish cops' I found out you can shoot squirrels, but only the black and grey's. The red squirrels are protected. Good luck, more meat on a rabbit though.....
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 PM

Dumb eh? Red squirrels are fur bearing animals, you need a trappers liscence so you can shoot a 2 cent bullet to get a 1 cent fur . You could make bullet warmers out of squirrels though........
Old 04-16-2009, 11:52 AM

Default Clarify of Squirrel Hunting

The following is the offical answer I've got from Alberta Government

Both Squirrels (excluding Flying Squirrel) and Crows are listed as
"Non-licence animals" in Part 6 of Schedule 4 of the Wildlife
Regulation.

Part 12 of Schedule 15 states:

12(1) The open season for the hunting of non licence
animals is from January 1 to December 31,
except in Big Game Zone 17.
(2) There is no open season for the hunting of non
licence animals in Big Game Zone 17.

Big Game Zone 17 includes all WMUs with a number greater than 599,
except 841.

So unless you live in one of these, you may hunt squirrel or crow at all
times of the year.
The complete listing of Non-Licence animals is as follows:

Part 6
Non licence Animals

Ambystoma tigrinum (Tiger Salamander)
Bufo boreas [Boreal (Western) Toad]
Pseudacris triseriata (Chorus Frog)
Rana sylvatica (Wood Frog)
Thamnophis sirtalis (Red sided Garter Snake)
Thamnophis radix (Plains Garter Snake)
Thamnophis elegans (Wandering Garter Snake)
Sorex cinereus (Masked Shrew)
Sorex haydeni (Prairie Shrew)
Sorex monticolus (Dusky Shrew)
Sorex palustris (Water Shrew)
Sorex arcticus (Arctic Shrew)
Myotis ciliolabrum (Small footed Myotis)
Myotis lucifugus (Little Brown Myotis)
Myotis volans (Long legged Myotis)
Myotis septentrionalis (Northern Long eared Myotis)
Myotis evotis (Long eared Myotis)
Lasionycteris noctivagans (Silver Haired Bat)
Eptesicus fuscus (Big Brown Bat)
Lasiurus borealis (Red Bat)
Lasiurus cinereus (Hoary Bat)
Ochotona princeps (American Pika)
Sylvilagus nuttallii (Nuttall's Cottontail)
Lepus americanus [Showshoe Hare (Varying Hare)]
Lepus townsendii (White tailed Jack Rabbit)
Tamias minimus (Least Chipmunk)
Marmota monax (Woodchuck)
Spermophilus richardsonii (Richardson's Ground Squirrel)
Spermophilus columbianus (Columbian Ground Squirrel)
Spermophilus tridecemlineatus (Thirteen lined Ground Squirrel)
Spermophilus franklinii (Franklin's Ground Squirrel)
Spermophilus lateralis (Golden mantled Ground Squirrel)
Sciurus carolinensis (Gray Squirrel)
Thomomys talpoides (Northern Pocket Gopher)
Perognathus fasciatus (Olive backed Pocket Mouse)
Peromyscus maniculatus (Deer Mouse)
Onychomys leucogaster (Northern Grasshopper Mouse)
Neotoma cinerea (Bushy tailed Wood Rat)
Clethrionomys gapperi (Gapper's Red backed Vole)
Phenacomys intermedius (Heather Vole)
Microtus pennsylvanicus (Meadow Vole)
Microtus longicaudus (Long tailed Vole)
Synaptomys borealis (Northern Bog Lemming)
Mus musculus (House Mouse)
Zapus hudsonius (Meadow Jumping Mouse)
Zapus princeps (Western Jumping Mouse)
Erethizon dorsatum (Porcupine)
Procyon lotor (Raccoon)
Mephitis mephitis (Striped Skunk)
Columba livia [Rock Dove (Pigeon)]
Pica pica (Black billed Magpie)
Corvus brachyrhynchos (American Crow)
Sturnus vulgaris (European Starling)
Agelaius phoeniceus (Red winged Blackbird)
Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus (Yellow headed Blackbird)
Euphagus carolinus (Rusty Blackbird)
Euphagus cyanocephalus (Brewer's Blackbird)
Quiscalus quiscula (Common Grackle)
Molothrus ater (Brown headed Cowbird)
Passer domesticus (House Sparrow)
Any hybrid offspring resulting from the crossing of 2 non licence
animals

Please note that you referred to such animals as "non-game". In our
Regulations, non-game animals are animals that you may not kill or
possess. Just a difference of lingo, but I thought I would point that
out to avoid confusion.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 PM

I didn't see red squirrell on that list and as far as i know thats all you'll see in the bush , in the south anyways. why bother shooting squirrells anyways? if you really want to kill some rodents I guess gophers would be the way to go , kind of greasy though but bears love 'em
Old 04-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't see red squirrel on the list eather. Pretty sure they are fur bearers and subject to trapping regs.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 PM

Default rabbits

Look for willows rabbits are out mostly in early morning and evening never see them during the day. i use a 22 works great never never shoot the guts out yuk they stink worse than any big game ive gutted lol. lots of them around ninton junction and up by calling lake you may even run into some boar around ninton. let me know if you want to go for some rabbits i gotta get my guns sighted in for bear anyways and who knows maybe some bear out already. I have a quad as well but if you want rabbits just ride slow and watch the road sides on the lease roads they love clover. Head shots with the 270 are spectacular lol.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:43 AM

red squirrell is under bearing animals and can only be taken wth a trappers lisence in alberta
its best to check out the trapping regulations
in there you find trapping and hunting info on the red squirrell
Old 04-17-2009, 12:47 PM

How do the illegally introduced Fox Squirrels fit into our laws? I am not sure if Fox Squirrel is the correct name, but that's what we called them out east. There are quite a few pockets of both the blacks and the greys scattered across the province, mostly in urban park areas, but also some in the wild lands. As they are an introduced species that is potentially damaging to their new environment, are they open for harvesting or do they fall under the same laws as the native red squirrel?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 PM

from that list I'd say you can shoot them . Looks like grey and black are listed there
Old 12-18-2014, 08:50 PM

For most rodents you don't need any thing to hunt for then but tree squirrels you need a trappers license to shoot or trap squirrels legally
Old 12-18-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadeCahoon View Post
For most rodents you don't need any thing to hunt for then but tree squirrels you need a trappers license to shoot or trap squirrels legally
Wow this thread is old....and they changed the regs on red squirrels...you can hunt them on private property now, have a look in the regs....it's there.

LC
Old 11-11-2016, 03:46 PM

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
You may want to check. I thought pistol crossbows were prohibited weapons? You don't want to get yourself into crap... (been a long time since I checked this, so please check before taking me as being accurate).
are crossbows still prohibited? sorry lost.