Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 AM

Default So.... Are vaccinations safe..?

So Robert Deniro WAS going to show this film at his festival...
Now he pulls it.

Watch the trailer, is this legit... Or... Fearmongering.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016...-film-festival

I wonder if this film is going to affect future vaccination rates.

Any anti-vaccine people out there? Just curious
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-30-2016, 10:04 AM

I have had the chicken pox, mumps and the measels. I don't get the flu shot or any vaccinations and I don't get sick very often. On the same token, the wife and kids get all the vaccinations and they get sick often. I am not dead set against vaccinations, but it should be an individual choice.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:11 AM

Anyone whom doesn't have their kids vaccinated are fools, in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:18 AM

If you do not want your kids to live long, just dont vaccinate them. Only sad thing is they will take some of the neighbour children with them.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
If you do not want your kids to live long, just dont vaccinate them. Only sad thing is they will take some of the neighbour children with them.
Wow, didn't know the measles was killing so many children in Alberta. I guess I'm lucky to have made it to 30+.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 AM

I was 3 living in Poland when Chernobyl exploded. I'm sure vaccinations is the least of my worries.

On a side note the wife is due in 10 weeks and I'm going to get my whooping cough vaccination today.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:37 AM

I think the risks are minimal or less compared to not vaccinating your kids. We were as kids, mine were as kids. Personally i know of no child that had adverse effects from the vaccinations(not rash or fever but the Autism etc debate).

As far as the flu shot, I seldom get colds, cant remember the last time i had the flu. Took the shot once to appease my doc and had more colds the following year. Don't take the shot, back to not getting sick. I know it is not supposed to happen like that but it is what it is. I have friends who take the shot religiously and seems like they catch something every time the wind blows. So how is it helping them.

To each his own on the flu shot, I think Vaccinating the kids is a good thing.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:40 AM

It seems to me that the large majority of people who are for vaccines want everyone to get vaccinated and those who aren't don't care if others do or not, they just don't want the shot themselves. The irony is if you get the shot, and it works as intended, why do you care if I get sick or not? Isn't it basically admitting that the shot doesn't work and the only way not to get sick is to have zero contact with someone who is?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:42 AM

Vaccinations are good for you as an individual, to protect you from some of the illnesses out there. Vaccinations are much better for everyone else. While you yourself may not 'get sick', it certainly doesn't mean that you are not carrying, and spreading, the virus to others who's bodies are not able to fight the virus as well.

Thousands of people die every year from the flu - mainly young and older folks. Getting vaccinated will help reduce those numbers dramatically.

Of course, so would washing your hands regularly!

Cheers
Old 03-30-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Wow, didn't know the measles was killing so many children in Alberta. I guess I'm lucky to have made it to 30+.
Guess what I got the measles for the first time in my life at 35 and it was the sickest I had ever been and actually wound up in hospital for a number of days.

When I was a kid a long time ago they did not have vaccine for measles like they do now.

Not to vaccinate your children is a big chance a parent takes and the govt. should mandate it to be mandatory imo
Old 03-30-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
It seems to me that the large majority of people who are for vaccines want everyone to get vaccinated and those who aren't don't care if others do or not, they just don't want the shot themselves. The irony is if you get the shot, and it works as intended, why do you care if I get sick or not? Isn't it basically admitting that the shot doesn't work and the only way not to get sick is to have zero contact with someone who is?
I personally think its smart to be concerned about what you put in your body, but I don't think vaccines are the monster they're made out to be. The push to get everyone immunized is for 'community immunity', so that if someone on the off chance doesn't get vaccinated and subsequently becomes sick they won't start an epidemic because chances are everyone around them is already protected by the vaccine and it can't spread. Some people (those already sick, children, elderly etc.) can't always get vaccinated necessarily, so if the community at large is protected vulnerable people likely won't get sick.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:56 AM

Safe for most people, with a small number of people suffering from them. If as people worried about the much bigger health threats from alcohol, tobacco and highly processed junk food as much as they did about vaccines making them sick, vaccines would be the least of their worries.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Safe for most people, with a small number of people suffering from them. If as people worried about the much bigger health threats from alcohol, tobacco and highly processed junk food as much as they did about vaccines making them sick, vaccines would be the least of their worries.
Since those items likely result in the direct and indirect death of 10x the number of people who died because they didn't get their MMR shot in Alberta, do you think the government should ban those items? Might as well throw in fast food too....

Are the smaller issues easier for people to focus on or just the issues they happen to have aligned their compass with?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Herd immunity. This has all been gone over time and time again.

Some people, for whatever reason (Health concerns, allergies, immune deficiencies, etc), cannot receive vaccinations. They rely on the majority of the population remaining disease free to not contract diseases. The best way to accomplish this is via immunization.

It's not all about you and what you want, regardless of whether you're DIRECTLY impacting others.

Although ignorance is surely bliss.

Edit: Just noticed that HowSwedeItIs beat me to it.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
There's the comment that needed to be said in this topic. Parents are more likely to make their kids regulars at the pharmacy from what they feed them vs. what they aren't vaccinated against.

I know of far too many little porkers who are already setting up to be chronic pill poppers because of their parents selections of food at the grocery store.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
It's not all about you and what you want, regardless of whether you're DIRECTLY impacting others.
Apparently its about what you want even though you are impacting others. Get the irony of your statement?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:26 AM

I am pro-Vaccine but do think kids are given to big of doses in a short time frame. Autism rates are exploding, vaccines or not something needs to be done. Canada and the USA gives the most Vaccines in the world to kids under the age of 6, upwards of 30 different vaccines and has the highest rates of Autism in the world. We also don't fair that well in infant mortality compared to a lot of first world countries that give half the vaccines we do.
Japan at one time maybe still banned the MMR vaccine as Autism rates really increased after they were introduced.

http://www.rescuepost.com/files/gr-a...al_report1.pdf
Old 03-30-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Apparently its about what you want even though you are impacting others. Get the irony of your statement?
Lol.

Although, in a convoluted sort of way, it would be about what I want... But what I want would be innocent people not having to suffer at the hands of ignorant, uninformed, or possibly gullible individuals. Which has little to do at all with me personally.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:30 AM

polio shots saved lot's and small pox

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 03-30-2016, 11:38 AM

I am not anti vaccination either but the cocktail of germs they give to infants these days is like playing Russian roulette. Nothing like the sound of a young baby screaming in pain for three days to make you question. The sad thing is you cannot pick and choose vaccinations either it's all or nothing and some vaccinations you are warned of the side effects which are extreme. The vaccination program of today is different then when we were kids. I think a happy medium would be great. I know after I received a vaccination my life has changed. I know I am one man but that's my experience and others say the same. To often we as humans tend to make things black and white, you are either on one side or the other and I think that's a big mistake to make when the health of babies is on the line. Unbiased science not influenced by money or politics is what this issue needs, not people insulting everyone who questions the safety of vaccines.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Banned

I never get a flu shot and therefore never get the flu

I get a cold every year and that's it.

Believe what you want

People get flu shots and get sick

And over the counter flu medications is a billion dollars a year business

Coincidence

Maybe

Maybe not

In the mean time,

I'm comfortable wearing my tinfoil hat.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
the cocktail of germs they give to infants these days is like playing Russian roulette.
all dead. you have nothing to worry about it's just so white blood cells can "imprint" to remove the diseases in the future. having 3 shots is a heck of a lot better than having 15 different shots.

i stepped on a nail a week ago and i went and got my tetanus shot it came with 3 other vaccines.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
If the neighbourhood kids have their shots the are supposed to be immune right?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:46 AM

If I was going to wipe out people in a mass genocide I know how I would do it. Not saying that's what's happening but research the worlds history with vaccines and you can see why some question. I am not anti vaccination and believe vaccines have a place. I am against mandatory vaccination.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:49 AM

Then think of who benefitted from the HIN1, SARS, Swine flu and other diseases that were supposed to kill so many.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG View Post
I was 3 living in Poland when Chernobyl exploded. I'm sure vaccinations is the least of my worries.

On a side note the wife is due in 10 weeks and I'm going to get my whooping cough vaccination today.
My twin girls caught whooping cough when they were a few months old. Caught it from me, I was misdiagnosed. My daughters hadn't yet received the booster shot, so they were susceptible.

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, my daughters were super sick and for those that don't know it, whooping cough can kill a baby. When they can't move when they are in trouble, they can suffocate. It was incredibly stressful for my wife and me. Wifey was a complete wreck dealing with it.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
I am pro-Vaccine but do think kids are given to big of doses in a short time frame. Autism rates are exploding, vaccines or not something needs to be done. Canada and the USA gives the most Vaccines in the world to kids under the age of 6, upwards of 30 different vaccines and has the highest rates of Autism in the world. We also don't fair that well in infant mortality compared to a lot of first world countries that give half the vaccines we do.
Japan at one time maybe still banned the MMR vaccine as Autism rates really increased after they were introduced.

http://www.rescuepost.com/files/gr-a...al_report1.pdf
Generation Rescue is a nonprofit organization that advocates the incorrect view that autism and related disorders are primarily caused by environmental factors, particularly vaccines.

Founder: Jenny McCarthy - Noted scientist and immunuologist
Old 03-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
Vaccinated doesn't mean immune. It means that your immune system has a leg up on fighting the disease when you are exposed it it. If your immune system should be compromised for any one some common reason then your best defence is the immune systems of the people around you.

A common example would be someone undergoing cancer treatment. I didn't see my father in law for months when he was being treated because I had a persistent cough and me passing it to him could have killed him.

If a flu shot with a less than 1% chance of minor complications is too much risk for you to take inn half of the people around you then you are probably not a very good person.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Depends on which strains they are protected against. It is not a case of shot = protection against all. Viruses are incredibly sophisticated when it comes to mutations. Medicine can try their best to create vaccinations against the most recent troublesome strain but it is a constant battle.

I have been unable to find if the parent's of this little boy had him vaccinated properly for meningitis prior to them giving him home remedies. I do not think the parents withheld care or prevented care. I think they meant their best at the time and it just ended horribly. Very sad case since meningitis is preventable.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...itis-1.3484501

I am pro-vaccine. If you choose not to vaccinate your child fine, but do not be surprised when other parents show their disapproval. I do believe a child should build their immunity by being outdoors getting dirty and such but things are different now and I do believe additional protection is warranted via vaccinations.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Vaccinated doesn't mean immune. It means that your immune system has a leg up on fighting the disease when you are exposed it it. If your immune system should be compromised for any one some common reason then your best defence is the immune systems of the people around you.

A common example would be someone undergoing cancer treatment. I didn't see my father in law for months when he was being treated because I had a persistent cough and me passing it to him could have killed him.

If a flu shot with a less than 1% chance of minor complications is too much risk for you to take inn half of the people around you then you are probably not a very good person.
My wife and kids get the flu shot, I do not. They caught the flu, I didn't. How am I not a good person?