Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-11-2008, 06:21 AM

Default dog commands

On the pheasent hunting thread I mentioned the command
"HIGH ON!"
I'm not even sure how it is spelled or where it came from, but it was what I learned as the command for "HUNT EM UP!" or "OKAY!" , etc.

Along with hand and whistle signals, we used "GEE!" and "HAW!" for the commands to go left and right, same as horses and sled dogs.

Anyway, I was wondering if any "older" dog handlers use "high on" and where it came from.
It could be from the English school of training, not sure.
Anynbody?

Cat
Old 04-11-2008, 06:49 AM

You'll find the command "high on" in the old James Lamb Free retriever book. I'm not sure of the original origin of it in the dog world though. It is a command I've also used for the past 13 or so years, At the time his book was likely one of the first ones I read, hence my use of it I'd imagine.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
You'll find the command "high on" in the old James Lamb Free retriever book. I'm not sure of the original origin of it in the dog world though. It is a command I've also used for the past 13 or so years, At the time his book was likely one of the first ones I read, hence my use of it I'd imagine.
Well, the first time I heard it was maybe 50 years ago!
Dunno James Lamb Free, but he sounds English.
I remember Dad had a book from England called "training your retreiver" is that the one?
Cat
Old 04-11-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Well, the first time I heard it was maybe 50 years ago!
Dunno James Lamb Free, but he sounds English.
I remember Dad had a book from England called "training your retreiver" is that the one?
Cat
That is the one. "Training Your Retriever" by James Lamb Free and it looks like it was first released in 1949.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
That is the one. "Training Your Retriever" by James Lamb Free and it looks like it was first released in 1949.
WOW!! That's cool, is it still available?
I'd like to get a copy, just to have.....
Cat
Old 04-11-2008, 07:28 AM

Cat, check this link.....

http://www.metacrawler.com/info.meta...17/top/-/-/1/0
Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 AM

I can't contribute to the Origins of High on I use "Huntem up" I had to laugh at the Gee and Haw commands as I was listening to some horse riding field trials guys talking about the whoa command and the confussion for horses I guess thats the one advantage to the smith silent command system in theory the dog knows what you want without you saying much which in and of itself will be cofussing for me since I never know what I want
Old 04-11-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
COOL! Thanks for the link, gonna order one today!
Cat
Old 04-11-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
WOW!! That's cool, is it still available?
I'd like to get a copy, just to have.....
Cat
Ya do a Google and you'll find it out there. That book has been around for a quite a few years. I'm pretty sure when my dad trialed back in the '70's he had a copy, but I've got no idea where it is. I bought mine new 13+ years ago.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 AM

I've got a copy of James Lamb Free's book that I picked up at the Gun Show in Lethbridge from the older couple that come up from the States every year. Good book.

Cat, as for the command "high on", I believe it comes from the term "hie on" which means to hurry or hasten.

Last edited by M70; 04-11-2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
I can't contribute to the Origins of High on I use "Huntem up" I had to laugh at the Gee and Haw commands as I was listening to some horse riding field trials guys talking about the whoa command and the confussion for horses I guess thats the one advantage to the smith silent command system in theory the dog knows what you want without you saying much which in and of itself will be cofussing for me since I never know what I want
Not to mention you will impress alot more judges and gunners if you shut up and your dog just does all the work naturally instead of you leading him around.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
I
Cat, as for the command "high on", I believe it comes from the term "hie on" which means to hurry or hasten.
That's got it.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
I've got a copy of James Lamb Free's book that I picked up at the Gun Show in Lethbridge from the older couple that come up from the States every year. Good book.

Actually i was going to spell it that way but wasn't sure! thanks.....
cat
Old 04-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Don't ask me how I knew that. I don't think I've ever used the term "hie" nor "hasten" for that matter. Usually when I'm working with my dog, I tend to use a lot of swear words under my breath.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:41 PM

Default DoG Commands

My favourites are ..

Leave it ,I said LEAVE it , I mean it , Leave it , dont swallow that ,
c'mhere you %$#@#$%%% , I mean it, when I get my hands on you
Oh ! good boy , give me that turd , hand it over , OK Buddy thats it for you , wheres that collar , your gettin it .

and thats on a good day
Old 04-15-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
My favourites are ..

Leave it ,I said LEAVE it , I mean it , Leave it , dont swallow that ,
c'mhere you %$#@#$%%% , I mean it, when I get my hands on you
Oh ! good boy , give me that turd , hand it over , OK Buddy thats it for you , wheres that collar , your gettin it .

and thats on a good day
Those are some fine commands My last dog before Dakota was a Yellow Lab not so creatively named Goldy I loved her there were basicly only two commands for her she always produced birds her way so my commands were
1. NO NO BAD DOG ( She thought that was her name)

2. OH PLEASE LORD DON'T LET HER EAT THAT (very basic comand more like a prayer)
Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 PM

for pointers the only commands they should have is this in mine opinion. whoa. come(voice or 1 whistle blast), turning(call the dogs name or two whistle blast), fetch, dead bird, okay(release).
Old 04-16-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
I had to laugh at the Gee and Haw commands as I was listening to some horse riding field trials guys talking about the whoa command and the confussion for horses I guess thats the one advantage to the smith silent command system in theory the dog knows what you want without you saying much which in and of itself will be cofussing for me since I never know what I want
Gee and Haw are only used for harness horses, as far as I have ever known.
We are always taking to our dogs when hunting them, and i always figured it seemed mpore of a game to them than work, by the way they reacted.
Nothing worse than a dog that is not enthusiastic!
Cat
Old 04-16-2008, 08:20 AM

You got that right! I had an Irish Setter "The Duke" He was awsome loved him to pieces if you knocked a bird down in water he just looked at you like you were "special needs or something" his enthusiasm went right down the toilet and I had to get the bird. When he decided he was done hunting he would heel and you couldn't get him to huntem up for nothing!

Cried my eyes out the day I lost him. Dumb Dog
Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 AM

One of my favourite commands,and I use it all the time on the neighbours dog...SHUTUP!!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Gone Hunting

Glad you started this thread "Cat-under-a-hat". It explains a lot to me.

Whenever I do something stupid my wife will say "WHAT ARE YOU HIGH ON!!!" and our Lab goes nuts trying to locate a bird.

Robin, without a hat
Old 04-16-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post

Whenever I do something stupid my wife will say "WHAT ARE YOU HIGH ON!!!" and our Lab goes nuts trying to locate a bird.

Robin, without a hat
Now THAT is funny!!
Cat
Old 04-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Gone Hunting

I've used Hie on!! for years and years for my dogs, whether hunting dogs or not. Likely the first command they learn.

I use it when I'm 'airing ' my dogs. Whether a house dog or kennel dog. When I take that dog out and say "Hie On' I want that dog to say how high and do "it" now. When field trialling retrievers, it is crucial that your dog does the test and comes back in a professional manner without stopping to crap on the way, so the dogs are aired before the test. To make sure it is done in a timely manner they are trained from day one to "Hie On". Inclement weather, who wants to stand around for 40 minutes while Semper Fido looks for just the right spot and time? So I have astonished soem non dog people with my skill at training dogs to crap on command.

I have two other commands that I start dogs on early. "Come" and "Sit".
"Come" is obvious. I don't use "Here" because I use that command to adjust the retreiver when he is sitting at heel>

I use "sit" because it is easy to teach, easy for the pup to do and thus he is successful at following a command, and is a "good boy". this simple command will salvage many training sessions and make forgiving mistakes, a positive experience. It could save the dogs life, simply by saying "sit" to keep him out of a dangerous situation.

In training when he or you make a mistake, having your dog "sit" on command puts you back in control of the situation and moves the dog from a place where he is "wrong" to a place where he is "right." This gives you a positive place to start from to teach the lesson again. We can always go backwards to teach a dog, and anyone can set the dog up for failure. How hard you want to train decides which you do.

I also like "sit" because it is taught on a leash at arms's length, giving you maximum control of the dog. Once he learns it close, you will be able to sit your dog at longer and longer distances. In the case of a retreiver it can be several hundred yards.

I also do not teach 'Stay" I teach "sit' and he is to do "sit" till I give another command. that is how important "sit" is to me.

Sorry I got running down the trail with this, I'll "sit " now.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:43 AM

I never taught my dog much, just tried to utililze her instinct. (English Setter) I constantly whistled for her to come, when she's rangeing too far. I'd use "Go Hunt Maddy" to get her going, and I'd directionally point her with arm signals. That's it. My own non-professional method, but we had lots of fun and we weren't working for ribbons....
Old 04-28-2008, 07:37 AM

Hie on, gee and haw are used with dog sledding as well.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Hunting_Mom View Post
Hie on, gee and haw are used with dog sledding as well.
"hie on" is used with sledders as well?
WQe tought our sled dogs gee and haw, but used "okay" to go - we never used "taht word" ever around them unless we wanted to get soemaction out of them!
never cocked a rifle near them , either !!
Cat
Old 04-28-2008, 08:06 AM

The mushers in the Yukon used hie on because its not normally something you would say at the wrong time.