Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-16-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Prohibited Firearms Sales Approved by Mistake

The RCMP allowed people to purchase these firearms by mistake, so why aren't the owners being grandfathered, or at least being compensated financially for property that they paid for?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/guns...p=FB_Post_News
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM

It's more than just "allowed people to purchase". They were issued licenses, albeit improperly. In my opinion, they should be allowed to keep the licenses and the firearms. The firearms were purchased legally with the correct license. The RCMP juts issued them the wrong license. Hardly a mistake by the end user.

I would be a little choked.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:43 AM
Banned

Sad
Old 05-17-2018, 03:31 AM

Makes a person wonder if or how many of these were used to pad the numbers of "domestically sourced illegal guns" in their report to the Public Safety Minister doesn't it?
And it really makes a person wonder about this;

https://thegunblog.ca/2018/05/16/rcm...ing-c-71-info/
Old 05-17-2018, 07:27 AM

So if you go to renew your drivers license and they accidentally add the motorcycle designation, would you go buy a bike, register it, insurance it and then drive it without ever being road tested for a motorcycle license.

These people knew they only have a 12(7) license. They is no way that not everyone of them was aware of the clerical error as they all had to apply for a 12(7) originally. They decided to use a wrongfully issued license to purchase firearms they were not authorized to possess. Now you want tax payers dollars to pay for there deception???? No thanks!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
So if you go to renew your drivers license and they accidentally add the motorcycle designation, would you go buy a bike, register it, insurance it and then drive it without ever being road tested for a motorcycle license.

These people knew they only have a 12(7) license. They is no way that not everyone of them was aware of the clerical error as they all had to apply for a 12(7) originally. They decided to use a wrongfully issued license to purchase firearms they were not authorized to possess. Now you want tax payers dollars to pay for there deception???? No thanks!
x2,if you don't know why your license is written wrong have it changed,before doing something you know isn't correct.I won't go buy a transport truck if I never wrote my class 1 then expect to continue driving it with a class 5.Then want my money back for the truck.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 AM

Prohibited Firearms Sales Approved by Mistake!

The key word here is mistake. Mistakes do happen. Mistakes should be corrected and not allowed to continue.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Prohibited Firearms Sales Approved by Mistake!

The key word here is mistake. Mistakes do happen. Mistakes should be corrected and not allowed to continue.
And whoever makes the mistake should take responsibility. Seen prohib hand guns advertised at auctions without noting it, buyer wouldn't necessarily recognize that. Message is, even if the RCMP are wrong, they're right in their eyes. Might make an interesting court case.

Grizz
Old 05-17-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
And whoever makes the mistake should take responsibility.
Grizz
I agree that whoever makes the mistake should take responsibility and yes I know that the RCMP seem to have the attitude that they can do no wrong. That said, prohibited firearms that were obtained by authorization that was issued in error does not make it right. I wonder how many knew that there was a mistake and went ahead and took advantage of the situation and how many just did not know the law. It seems that a lot of responsible gun owners simply do not know the law as they should.

Those who complied and returned their firearms as instructed should be compensated.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I agree that whoever makes the mistake should take responsibility and yes I know that the RCMP seem to have the attitude that they can do no wrong. That said, prohibited firearms that were obtained by authorization that was issued in error does not make it right. I wonder how many knew that there was a mistake and went ahead and took advantage of the situation and how many just did not know the law. It seems that a lot of responsible gun owners simply do not know the law as they should.

Those who complied and returned their firearms as instructed should be compensated.

Can not agree with this.

All persons that received a new license with a 12(6) designation were only holder of a 12(7) license prior. The process that you go through to obtain a 12(7) leaves no doubt that you are only allowed to possess the prohibited handgun which was originally part of your 12(7) application. 12(7) holders can not purchase other 12(7) firearms from others holders. Everyone that received a license in error knew that it was an error. 1315 people knew it was an error and did not try to purchase 12(6) handguns. 41 persons tried and got caught. I have no pity for them that they are out money. And also I am fairly surprise with the response here that you are OK with them trying to cheat the system and be dishonest.... normally this crew wants people shot or hung for dishonest acts.

Dennis Young pick a fairly stupid hill to die on with this one. I always get a kick out of how he is referred to as a "retired" RCMP Member. I bet most Mounties wish they could "retire" after 5 years service!

Last edited by brendan's dad; 05-17-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=Grizzly Adams;3786799]And whoever makes the mistake should take responsibility. Seen prohib hand guns advertised at auctions without noting it, buyer wouldn't necessarily recognize that. Message is, even if the RCMP are wrong, they're right in their eyes. Might make an interesting court case. :

The error would be caught during the registration process, as the buyer would not have the proper class to complete the transaction.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Banned

The only mistake I see is them making any gun prohibited.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Can not agree with this.

All persons that received a new license with a 12(6) designation were only holder of a 12(7) license prior. The process that you go through to obtain a 12(7) leaves no doubt that you are only allowed to possess the prohibited handgun which was originally part of your 12(7) application. 12(7) holders can not purchase other 12(7) firearms from others holders. Everyone that received a license in error knew that it was an error. 1315 people knew it was an error and did not try to purchase 12(6) handguns. 41 persons tried and got caught. I have no pity for them that they are out money. And also I am fairly surprise with the response here that you are OK with them trying to cheat the system and be dishonest.... normally this crew wants people shot or hung for dishonest acts.
I would have been willing to give some the benefit of the doubt.

BUT....

If it can be proven that knowing that an error was made and they went ahead and obtained or attempted to obtain prohibited firearms anyway, then criminal charges should be laid. I would have no problem with those convicted being orohibited from possessing any firearms.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

BUT....

If it can be proven that knowing that an error was made and they went ahead and obtained or attempted to obtain prohibited firearms anyway, then criminal charges should be laid. I would have no problem with those convicted being orohibited from possessing any firearms.
Give me a break. You just don't know when to stop.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Give me a break. You just don't know when to stop.
I would be happy to if you tell me what you would like broken
Old 05-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree that whoever makes the mistake should take responsibility and yes I know that the RCMP seem to have the attitude that they can do no wrong.
Aren’t you a retired RCMP officer?
Old 05-17-2018, 05:55 PM

An error was made when issuing the license - it was an error.

For those people who purposely took advantage of this error and expect to continue keep the privileges associated with this license and expect this error to become a "privilege and a right" need to give their heads a shake.

Revoke the licenses and re-issue the proper classification of licenses - for those who purchased and own these prohibited firearms should be required to surrender these firearms. That would effectively correct this error.

They can either take "a fair market value" figure offered as compensation OR they can surrender them to the police who will use a third party licensed broker who will keep these in bond, and will post them for sale for the price you are asking - if they don't sell within a specific period of time you get the fair market value and that's the end of this mess.

An error was made, these are fair circumstances to correct this error.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Aren’t you a retired RCMP officer?
No!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
The only mistake I see is them making any gun prohibited.

There’s the problem, random bs classifications. If you’re deemed safe enough to own a gun, who cares what it is?

All guns are as dangerous as cars, trucks, chainsaws, whatever, etc... with the wrong person behind it.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:

BUT....

I am sure he feels all you evil 10/22 high cap mag' owners all fall into the same category...and should be hung for not turning in your evil, man killing, high cap magazines as well
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opalsasquatch View Post
There’s the problem, random bs classifications. If you’re deemed safe enough to own a gun, who cares what it is?

All guns are as dangerous as cars, trucks, chainsaws, whatever, etc... with the wrong person behind it.
My thoughts exactly. Register or prohibit the owner not the gun.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:13 AM

I read the article, and it says that a certain magazine for a certain 22 is prohibited.
But doesn't mention which mag or which 22,
Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 05-18-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I am sure he feels all you evil 10/22 high cap mag' owners all fall into the same category...and should be hung for not turning in your evil, man killing, high cap magazines as well
You only think you are sure about that! You prove that you are actually sure about nothing!

BTW, the 12(6) 12(7) thing was a mistake. That differs from the high cap 10/22 mag thing which was a decision to change and make law. I do not like to bash the RCMP like some here do, but I also do not think any Police including the RCMP should be making law of any kind.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
I read the article, and it says that a certain magazine for a certain 22 is prohibited.
Can anyone enlighten me?
The ones that also fit a Ruger hand gun. BS IMO.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Ummmmm....YES I most certainly would,lol.😝
In fact.....when I moved to AB in 2011 I tried to scam the girl at Registry and told her in NB a Class 1E covers motorcycle as well,but she wasn't buying it.☹️
Old 05-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Can anyone enlighten me?
Any 10/22 mags that are over 10 round capacity, and also the 30 round mags for the Mossberg 715 (?)rifles. My understanding that anyone with a large capacity mag can make them legal by having them pinned.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
You only think you are sure about that! You prove that you are actually sure about nothing!

BTW, the 12(6) 12(7) thing was a mistake. That differs from the high cap 10/22 mag thing which was a decision to change and make law. I do not like to bash the RCMP like some here do, but I also do not think any Police including the RCMP should be making law of any kind.
Having read many of your posts on this forum you are not "friend"...to most firearms owners....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Any 10/22 mags that are over 10 round capacity, and also the 30 round mags for the Mossberg 715 (?)rifles. My understanding that anyone with a large capacity mag can make them legal by having them pinned.
That's right.

Get those mags pinned.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Having read many of your posts on this forum you are not "friend"...to most firearms owners....
Well at least you are reading my posts
Old 05-18-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
That's right.

Get those mags pinned.
I think there is something that you should have pinned