Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 PM

Default How are non Muslims treated in Muslim countries?

This is a sincere question.

I do not know as I have never been.

As it stands today how would a white male or female American be treated walking through the streets only speaking English

Would it be possible to live safely for 1 week in a Muslim community abroad.

I'm really hoping that this thread doesn't turn ugly the way it sure could but I would like some honest opinion that ideally would have some facts behind it.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-18-2015, 07:42 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-david-cameron
Old 11-18-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post

As it stands today how would a white male or female American be treated walking through the streets only speaking English

I'm really hoping that this thread doesn't turn ugly the way it sure could but I would like some honest opinion that ideally would have some facts behind it.

Thanks in advance
Few questions,

1. Where are you Thinking of going?
2. For what purpose?
3. What type of accommodation do you require?

People of Muslim faith are not inherently bad people, there are many different types of people who have Muslim faith in the same way there a lots of different types of people who have Christian faith.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Banned

In some countries I've heard they live very peacefully together. I seem to even remember an example of a Christian church being assaulted by extreme muslims and moderate muslims were protecting the Christians.

Probably a very wide variation from country to country and even from area to area within countries.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:29 PM

Women before and after the Taliban.

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/womens-rig...y#.Vk1B7NKrT4Y

Grizz
Old 11-18-2015, 08:42 PM

One of my wife's friend lived in Kuwait with her husband as he worked over there. She is a good looking 50 year old blond and was treated about the same as a dog would be. They lived in a compound, she had to have a driver and could only go to certain places and had to only wer certain clothes.
Like I said even little boys treated her like a lower form of live. She hated it there and would never go back no matter how much money her husband made and outright told him they would be done if he did.
Even though her husband is white and was treated better because he is a man he was called an infidel all the time.
Kuwait is supposed to be one of the moderate Muslim countries so imagine what the non moderate Muslim countries would be like!!!
Old 11-18-2015, 08:52 PM

I was told exactly the same by another woman who lived in Saudia with her husband. They treat women a little bit better than dogs.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I was told exactly the same by another woman who lived in Saudia with her husband. They treat women a little bit better than dogs.
Devil's advocate here. I thought if you are in a country you are supposed to respect the laws and culture even if your culture is different.

Same for immigrants and refugees who come here. If you can't live the Canadian way get the F out.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
Devil's advocate here. I thought if you are in a country you are supposed to respect the laws and culture even if your culture is different.

Same for immigrants and refugees who come here. If you can't live the Canadian way get the F out.
If you were over there, would you respect treating women and children badly? Honestly Malsama....
Old 11-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

...or I guess they could call it a hate crime and take it up with the local Human Rights Commission?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:

So when are we starting to deport those who do not follow the traditions of Canada? Let's see: burkas, hijabs, demands for removal of pork from the school menu, demands to remove Mary Christmas from public places because it offends some people?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Can you tell this to radical muslims here in North America and Europe? Will they obey it? Poland said that if NATO is going to send troops to Syria/Iraq, Polish troops will not go while young, healthy Arab refugees are drinking coffee in Berlin or Paris. We are tolerant of theirs culture, they are not tolerant about our.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
Can you tell this to radical muslims here in North America and Europe? Will they obey it? Poland said that if NATO is going to send troops to Syria/Iraq, Polish troops will not go while young, healthy Arab refugees are drinking coffee in Berlin or Paris. We are tolerant of theirs culture, they are not tolerant about our.
Very well said!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If you were over there, would you respect treating women and children badly? Honestly Malsama....
I wouldn't be there in the first place.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
So if I went over there, I should respect it if I witness abuse?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:09 PM

My cousin married an Egyptian fellow and lived there and had a kid and she wasn't treated badly.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 PM

Well it didn't take long for this go sideways, did it.

Whether you like it or not Masalma was right, the story posted was a guy who went to a country that does not allow alcohol, guy partakes and is arrested then claims he didnt know their laws and has the UK government spend a small fortune getting involved. So let's just say someone from that nation comes here rapes a little boy and says I didn't know the laws, let me go. When you travel to a different country you have no choice but to accept their laws or you shouldn't go. Please don't tell me they don't respect our laws, you need to tell your mp and become engaged in bettering our country, not talking $&@$ on a forum.

I have spent considerable time in these countries and have witnessed the very worst In religious persecution, the very worst in human behaviour and on the flip side my life was saved by two men who didn't know me and I will never see again.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:15 PM

I've been to a country of Islam. It was great and much nicer than El Salvador which is country of Catholicism I was not raped or killed that I'm aware of lol
Old 11-18-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
This forum is FAR from tolerant to other cultures. Every thread on here turns into an US vs THEM. You don't like their way of life, everyone is entitled to their opinion. In a perfect world everyone would respect the laws of the land they are in. But not reality. What makes you different than them if you try to impose your beliefs on them, similar to what you claim they are attempting to do.

In the end everyone thinks they are right. In terms of fighting, it is suicide for them to go and fight, it is like hitting a group of elephants with pebbles and waiting to get stomped. Those civilians have no military training, no access to weapons, they lived life like most of the teens here, concerned with latest trends, facebook, youtube.... Go downtown for a stroll, or a walk to your local high school, most of these kids can't fight their way out of a paper bag. How do you expect them to fight against Assad, Russia, Hezbullah, Iran, ISIS, AlNusra..... All of these groups are heavily armed to the teeth with latest advanced weapons.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Banned

It is a belief.

If you can isolate the want and balance comfort it would be simple.

That is all

Keep warm
Old 11-18-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
This forum is FAR from tolerant to other cultures.
Sad but true, after seeing some of the posts I lose a lot of respect for many Albertans. This forum truly highlights the right-wing side of Alberta for sure. Oh well, can't change people, thank goodness most people only complain and don't follow through with their words.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:27 PM

Is there a problem with being right wing in Alberta?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Absolutely nothing, as long as you respect that others are entitled to an opinion.

If I post that I voted Liberals I will get my head bitten off
Old 11-18-2015, 10:32 PM

The only Majority Muslim country I'd lay a foot in is Azerbaijan. If you feel a need to go to the Middle East, stick to Israel or Azerbaijan(Even though Azerbaijan isn't really the middle East)
Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
No more so than, being left wing, but this isnt about political persuasion, this thread has just moved into ignorant comments from people who like to yell at the tv. Not directed at you Smokinyote.

I am a proud big C conservative. Having witnessed some truly horrible things on this planet I know how some have a desire to escalate the situation so that they can say, see I told ya.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Absolutely nothing, as long as you respect that others are entitled to an opinion.

If I post that I voted Liberals I will get my head bitten off
I could be spitballing here but I'd guess that most here assume you voted Liberal without you saying so

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 11-18-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
This forum is FAR from tolerant to other cultures. Every thread on here turns into an US vs THEM. You don't like their way of life, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I could care less about their way of life......as long as they keep it there. Wanna come here, follow our way of life
Old 11-18-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Of course , your likley on Justin's payroll. Senators son ?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post

Thanks in advance
In major cities in most nations in the ME you will be safer than walking in Winnipeg. There are of course exceptions but for the most part, westerners speaking English are common in large centers, walking the streets at all hours. Many westerners live for years in the ME. You would be looking for a reputable hotel chain for short stays. If you're going to live there for an extended period, most will stay in a gated community of fellow westerners. Obey the local laws. My experienced opinion...
Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 PM

I was in Malaysia - felt good, safe and interesting (on the other hand Syria and Libia was the same as people say before substance hit the fan). Countries where expats live in guarded compounds - I'd be more careful (). "New born" Muslim countries, like Azerbaijan - depends on prosperity and social/political climate at the moment.
Russian Federation, for example, is a multicultural multi-confessional (?) country with multiple regions where Islam is a religion of choice for a majority of population in SOME regions, some are completely civilized and safe (statistically), some not so much at all.
PS poor edit, lost the meaning
Closed Thread