Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2014, 03:56 PM

Default This Danish Zoo teaches more than other zoos

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/02...ldren-watched/

A synopsis of the article: they had a healthy 18 month old male giraffe that they wanted to prevent from inbreeding, so they killed it with a bolt gun, gave it a public autopsy and fed it to the lions. It sure showed all those present where their meat comes from! I found the financial incentives from animal rights groups not to kill it rather laughable; those lions need other animals to die in order to be fed, why discriminate what the source is, especially when its from a source that they'd actually kill & eat if they weren't captive in the first place!

That leather would make for a cool .... something.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:15 PM

My daughter sent me that link earlier. My first thought was "Are they nuts - the "antis" will have a field day."

Thinking about it - I would have loved to take my kids there. They would have been off the charts interested. They are so interested when we field dress elk and deer.

But you read some of the responses. They are likening the parents who took there kids there to watch as Nazis. Sigh. People sure have huge balls on the other side of a computer screen.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:33 PM

I posted in the comments about repeating the show weekly with road kill deer & moose to educate more kids
Old 02-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Banned

Wow, that article is riddled with poor spelling, grammar and anti-hunting sentiment. I love the captions under each individual photo...
Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM

I dunno about this one.

Is there an over abundance of captive giraffe's to the point that executing one for a show and tell presentation is the best option?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:27 PM

It noted that there wasn't space for a male in accredited zoo's, and the other option would be circuses or facilities that couldn't guarantee proper care in adherence to the zoo's mandate. Sending to its homeland would have it dead within the week, having no herd of its own or experience living in the wild & evading predators.

If it could be trained & saddled like a horse it would make a pretty cool hunting ride. Just mount a GoPro to its head for scouting purposes
Old 02-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
If it could be trained & saddled like a horse it would make a pretty cool hunting ride. Just mount a GoPro to its head for scouting purposes
You would need to snorkel the giraffe in order for it to be a worthwhile hunting ride. Could definitely ford some deep water lol
Old 02-09-2014, 08:28 PM

"This is bad because the lions will develop a taste for blood." Fawwwwwwk

Well that is 10 minutes of my life I will not get back.

On the upside I learned a new word "cidiots". Gotta use that one.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 PM

I say we start a petition applauding their decision, the anti's petition had 25000 signatures, how many of us are on AO?