Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Banned

Default On farm slaughter texas style

Humane killing of farmed Bison.
I sure wish we could do that again here in Canada.

http://www.sanantoniomag.com/SAM/Feb...-on-the-Range/
Old 02-09-2014, 07:31 PM

I know somebody who would sell you the equipment for that. located in the peace region.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irgendoeppis View Post
I know somebody who would sell you the equipment for that. located in the peace region.
I ain't looking for more work!
Just the ability to kill a bison in the field and take the carcass to a butcher like any hunter can with a deer or moose.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 PM

Why can't you?

If you can do it with moose, sheep, beef, and pigs, why can't you do it with bison?
Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
Why can't you?

If you can do it with moose, sheep, beef, and pigs, why can't you do it with bison?
Can't be done with farmed animals anymore since the BSE BS.
Courtesey of our Effed up goverment.
A few small butchers still do process farm kills but only if it is for private consumption, the meat can't be sold unless it is inspected and for that to happen you've got to deliver them at the plant alive and on the hoof.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
A few small butchers still do process farm kills but only if it is for private consumption, the meat can't be sold unless it is inspected and for that to happen you've got to deliver them at the plant alive and on the hoof.

Sure hope this can be corrected. I won't buy meat that has been to a feedlot and/or slaughterhouse. I agree with the rancher's opinion that “You don’t want to eat an animal that has been stressed,”.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Banned

Cool

Effort goes a long way learn how to butcher simple fix . My buddy has no issues with his bison. Shoot with butcher as witness gut, skin 1/4 off to the buchers ??? Wheres the issue . You know bse is a terrible way for a person to pass on right.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Effort goes a long way learn how to butcher simple fix . My buddy has no issues with his bison. Shoot with butcher as witness gut, skin 1/4 off to the buchers ??? Wheres the issue . You know bse is a terrible way for a person to pass on right.
If you can find a butcher that will come to the farm, it costs extra $$$$ and you still can't sell to the public cause you need an meat inspector as well and they don't come to the farm.

BSE has never been found in a Bison yet.
Have you ever heard in recent history of anyone in North America that had contracted or is suffering from BSE??

You have more chance to get hit by lighting trice in as many days than contracting BSE by eating beef.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:01 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
If you can find a butcher that will come to the farm, it costs extra $$$$ and you still can't sell to the public cause you need an meat inspector as well and they don't come to the farm.

BSE has never been found in a Bison yet.
Have you ever heard in recent history of anyone in North America that had contracted or is suffering from BSE??

You have more chance to get hit by lighting trice in as many days than contracting BSE by eating beef.
I totally agree. looks like the government has the issue under control. Neat . Yes my friends bison is for private consumption . However if it was for sale does one not price accordingly if inspected. ??
Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Was that way for a very long time before BSE and for reasons other than BSE.

And FYI... it isn't for private consumption... its for consumption by the owners immediate household meaning family.
The devil is in the details there.

Slaughter of animals
4(1) Except as provided in the regulations, no person shall
slaughter an animal unless the animal has been inspected by an
inspector immediately before the time of slaughter.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a mobile butcher who
slaughters or assists in the slaughter of animals the meat from
which is to be consumed by the producer of the animal or by the
members of the producer’s immediate household.
RSA 1980 cM-10 s4;1992 c1 s5
Sale of meat
5 Except as provided in the regulations, no person shall sell, offer
for sale, transport or deliver meat to any person unless
(a) the animal from which the meat was obtained was
inspected by an inspector under section 4,
(b) the slaughter of the animal took place at an abattoir or at
an establishment,

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 02-10-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Been that way for a very long time....and for good reasons other than BSE.

And FYI... it isn't for private consumption... its for consumption by the owners immediate household meaning family.
The devil is in the details there.

Slaughter of animals
4(1) Except as provided in the regulations, no person shall
slaughter an animal unless the animal has been inspected by an
inspector immediately before the time of slaughter.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a mobile butcher who
slaughters or assists in the slaughter of animals the meat from
which is to be consumed by the producer of the animal or by the
members of the producer’s immediate household.
RSA 1980 cM-10 s4;1992 c1 s5
Sale of meat
5 Except as provided in the regulations, no person shall sell, offer
for sale, transport or deliver meat to any person unless
(a) the animal from which the meat was obtained was
inspected by an inspector under section 4,
(b) the slaughter of the animal took place at an abattoir or at
an establishment,
So what's to stop farmer A to sell buffalo to CitySlicker B, who promptly goes "bang" and guts and cleans critter?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
So what's to stop farmer A to sell buffalo to CitySlicker B, who promptly goes "bang" and guts and cleans critter?
Nothing except that some farmers don't want a gut pile on their land lest someone think that he sold an already slaughtered animal...aka...meat.

I could buy a beef from you... slaughter it and then use it to feed my family....perfectly legal.

You...sold me a live animal...not meat.

I..the owner chose to slaughter that animal for food to be consumed by myself and my family.

In reality this happens all the time...chickens, eggs, milk etc are all supposed to be inspected if offered for sale or consumption to or by people ouside of the owners household.....people use the grey areas to their advantage and wink is as good as a nod to a blind man.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I believe it is illegal for an animal to be slaughtered on the premise where it was sold unless you are a licences and inspected abattoir.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 AM

The actual meat act rules were posted by VCMM in the thread below. Go check it out.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=202579

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCats
The owner can give the beef to whom ever he chooses inspected or not, he just cannot "sell" it after it has been butchered.

WC

Taken from the meat act.

Part 7
Miscellaneous Provisions

Compliance with orders

76 A person to whom an order given under the legislation is issued shall comply with the order.

Receiving uninspected meat

77 Where a carcass, including that of an exempted animal, is received by a meat facility for processing and an inspection was not completed under the legislation or the Meat Inspection Act (Canada), the operator shall ensure that

(a) a tag is attached firmly to the carcass or to its container bearing

(i) the word “UNINSPECTED”,

(ii) the name and address of the owner, and

(iii) the date of the slaughter,

and

(b) following the processing of the meat, each edible portion of the meat or its container is identified with the words “UNINSPECTED - NOT FOR SALE”.

AR 42/2003 s77;112/2009

Identification and notice of uninspected meat

78(1) A person who cuts or wraps meat from an uninspected carcass shall ensure that all containers of meat cut and wrapped from the uninspected carcass are identified with the words “UNINSPECTED - NOT FOR SALE”.

(2) The owner of premises where uninspected meat is processed shall ensure that a sign that is visible to the public is posted on the portion of the premises that is open to the public, which sign reads as follows:

The sale of uninspected meat is prohibited in Alberta. Uninspected meat is processed on these premises for the owner of the animal.

Transfer of meat

79 A person shall not barter, give away or otherwise transfer meat to another person, or offer to do so, unless the conditions set out in section 5(a) to (d) of the Act are met.

Expiry

80 For the purpose of ensuring that this Regulation is reviewed for ongoing relevancy and necessity, with the option that it may be repassed in its present or an amended form following a review, this Regulation expires on August 1, 2014.

AR 42/2003 s80;112/2009

81 Repealed AR 112/2009 s61.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Banned

I've bought a couple steer, pigs and lamb this way. I pay the farmer, I pay the mobile butcher and once the animal is gutted, skinned and halfed its loaded into the back of my truck and away I go to process it myself.
As to the OP and the article posted - I'm very glad to see that a person running for FDA office understands and openly admits that transport of the animals to a slaughter house is always stressful and affects meat quality (never-mind the chemical reasons for the meat being tough)