Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
The Olympics is for amateur athletes, period.

I had more respect for hockey players who had to get a real job when the season ended.

Though having trained a few hockey players at work... saying yes coach for 10-15 years through childhood really gives them the ability to think for themselves and solve problems...

Years ago it was only for the amateurs but now from curling to snow board cross these people are making a living out of ther sports. I am all for having the amateurs play but you have to admit that the level of compition has increased by having these payed athletes out there. I still love the spirt of the amateurs though.

LS
Old 02-09-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post
Years ago it was only for the amateurs but now from curling to snow board cross these people are making a living out of ther sports. I am all for having the amateurs play but you have to admit that the level of compition has increased by having these payed athletes out there. I still love the spirt of the amateurs though.

LS
Bring back the old days, where Olympic Athletes were unpaid slaves.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 02-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
Are you a fan on hockey or the NHL? If you are a fan of hockey, you are about to see the best hockey on the planet. Watch the games. They'll be great
x2. Hockey plays on.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-09-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
Every team still plays 41 home and 41 away games. They aren't missing any games. The season is on a 2 week break. Thats it.
Yes, I with u on that. They keep playing with them gone, then the $$$ paying fans aren't happy. Keep it the was it is, to clear up. Thanx
Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 AM

I don't think the numbers lie. Best players in the world or the best amateurs ?? Lol, technically that would eliminate chl players as they are not considered amateurs because they are paid a very low stipend. Only jr A players are eligible to play NCAA hockey because of this. So just asking the amatuer fans who would you have jrA kids or beer league beauties?? Funny stuff
Old 02-10-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
I'd be fine if they took professionals out and made it pure amateur again but that's impossible IMO
Don't kid yourself if they did this then certain "crooked" countries would field a pro squad under the amateur guise....

LC
Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 AM

If the NHL didn't shut down for three weeks, no club would let their best players go and risk falling in the standings and missing playoffs.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
I'm a fan of hockey, and I will watch the Olympics as extra hockey, but between those games I want to watch my regular season at the regular times.

I don't think the whole NHL season should be put on hold, they should work around (and through) the Olympics.

And you are quite correct I don't see it going back to amateur either!

I think if they had to continue the season through the Olympics then we would see who REALLY wants the Stanley Cup by the simply seeing who refuses to send their best assets off for three weeks!

The NHL is a business, run it like one and give the paying customers what they want and pay for.
I don't get why you are pushing this. You realize you aren't losing NHL games, right? They aren't cancelling them. There is still going to be 82 games. You get BOTH 82 NHL games AND the Olympic Games. If you love NHL, well heck, you've had MORE NHL games to date than you would have in a normal year. IF you like hockey there is no downside to this.

Time to find something else to complain about. LOL

And as far as the NHL giving their fans what they want; they are. As you can see from this thread, you are really in the minority on this issue.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
I'm a fan of hockey, and I will watch the Olympics as extra hockey, but between those games I want to watch my regular season at the regular times.

I don't think the whole NHL season should be put on hold, they should work around (and through) the Olympics.

And you are quite correct I don't see it going back to amateur either!

I think if they had to continue the season through the Olympics then we would see who REALLY wants the Stanley Cup by the simply seeing who refuses to send their best assets off for three weeks!

The NHL is a business, run it like one and give the paying customers what they want and pay for.
They are running it like a business and they absolutely are giving their paying customers what they want. NHL fans expect the best hockey league in the world so why would they put forth a product that is anything but?

And im sorry, but your comment about an 'amatuer' team practising for 4 years with good coaching and ultimately beating KHL pro players is beyond absurd.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
The Olympics is for amateur athletes, period.

I had more respect for hockey players who had to get a real job when the season ended.

Though having trained a few hockey players at work... saying yes coach for 10-15 years through childhood really gives them the ability to think for themselves and solve problems...
Define amateur.

Many of these athletes, whether in "Pro" organizations or not, will make more money this year than most of us, via endoresements, etc. Also, they are paid for winning at the Olympics, some very very well!

Also, who exactly said it's for amateurs? I understood the Olympics, even dating back to ancient times, was an opportunity for each country to have their best athletes competing against other the best athletes in other countries in honour of Zeus.

Cheers