Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Angus meat is good there is no disputing that. But it was all a marketing gimmick that the Canadian and American Angus associations started to promote the breed. If it would have been the Canadian Simmental association or Canadian Hereford association that started it, they would be the ones capitalizing on it now. As far as certified angus beef, black cattle are black cattle. You take a 1100lb fat black angus steer and a fat 1100 lb black Simmental steer, take the hide off and try and tell the difference.

Organic beef- isn't that the stuff produced by farmers that are just to lazy too vaccinate or treat there cattle for lice and parasites. I know someone that was going to raise organic beef one year and never vaccinated their calves. They ended up having 14 calves die that summer from black leg. I didn't feel a bit sorry for them.
I believe the Calgary Stampede has a carcass competition, not sure how the animals are chosen, but a live animal is slaughtered and the carcass is rated. Speckle Park had placed well , had 4 in the top 10 one year.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:46 PM

Back in 2010 and 2011 I was running a reefer between Vancouver and Edmonton/Calgary. Hauled lots of A&W beef from the ports to warehouses over here. All the A&W boxed burgers said product of New Zeland.

Would load for Martin Brouwer (McDonalds) at the Cargill plants. Alberta beef going west and south for the McDonalds stores.

Just my nickels worth

BW
Old 02-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
The burger joint in Bodo now has a sign that says "No added coyote grindings, in our 100% ground beef mystery surprise."
No coyote, but how come they still serve items like

Slab of Lab
Poodles N Noodles
Round of Hound
Cocker Cutlets.
Or Center Line Bovine, Scraped right of the hood of the local jack ups.

That Shake N Bake Snake is not too bad
Old 02-09-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
. You take a 1100lb fat black angus steer and a fat 1100 lb black Simmental steer, take the hide off and try and tell the difference.
I do not think I could tell the difference, but on the plate I could tell you which one I preferred
Old 02-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Yes, they do sort the "black" ones out and process them seperately. The Angus people have done a wonderful job at promoting their product and putting perameters in place to insure that "certified angus" is what they say it is. In order for a slaughter plant to designate cuts as "certified angus" , their staff goes through a training program, and they are monitored by the government staff at the plant. Compliance failures will result in the plant losing their "certified" program. The designated animals are stamped on the production line and sorted into the coolers accordingly.
Is Angus beef any better?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 PM

When I was in my 20's (and my metabolism was much more robust), we'd often do what we called "the fast food trifecta". We'd go to A&W for a double mozza and Root Beer, drive to KFC for the gravy and to McDonalds for the fries.

Yeah, we were upscale like that.....
Old 02-09-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Is Angus beef any better?
I do not think anyone could prove it by me. I do think that good beef is good beef! Maybe I just know what I like and I shop the places that have what I like.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 PM

When it comes for the difference between grain fed beef and grass fed beef, I prefer the taste of marbled beef but I got a sneaking suspicion that the leaner grass fed stuff is probably better for me
Old 02-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Take any of the beef breed of cattle that are young and pour the barley to them. They all should be good.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:01 PM

Here is one take on angus or black.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_CAB_h...rom_Angus_beef
Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Take any of the beef breed of cattle that are young and pour the barley to them. They all should be good.
The more maternal british breeds have a tendency to marble better than the more masculine continental breeds.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Banned

Try grass fed bison burgers for a month straight, then go get a beef burger.
Garanteed the latter will make you puke.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
The more maternal british breeds have a tendency to marble better than the more masculine continental breeds.
Maybe 15 years ago but now all the red and black Simmental purebreds have angus blood way back in their pedigree.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 PM

Yeah the differences are more and more blurred everyday but purebred angus cows are gettin' too dumpy nowadays
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Here is one take on angus or black.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_CAB_h...rom_Angus_beef
Thanks for posting that. I am one of the ones who bought into the hype because in the end I do not really care what color the animal was and only care about the taste and tenderness.

Is this grass fed thing a fad as well? I have been hearing and reading about its health benefits. I have picked up some from farmer's markets. It seems way more expensive and what I have tried I do not think it tastes as good and the regular stuff I buy. Maybe I have to experiment with different methods of cooking?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Thanks for posting that. I am one of the ones who bought into the hype because in the end I do not really care what color the animal was and only care about the taste and tenderness.

Is this grass fed thing a fad as well? I have been hearing and reading about its health benefits. I have picked up some from farmer's markets. It seems way more expensive and what I have tried I do not think it tastes as good and the regular stuff I buy. Maybe I have to experiment with different methods of cooking?
Here is the real reason for CAB:

Some sources speculate that women prefer more tender meat due to their smaller teeth and weaker jaw muscles. Combining that with the reduced number of women staying at home to cook roasts and such, we can argue that women are a primary driver of the move to Angus beef in the U.S.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-09-2014, 11:37 PM

Forgot to footnote that last piece, better do that before the hate mail starts.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...and-angus-beef

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 AM

Everybody who's anybody loves beef
Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Forgot to footnote that last piece, better do that before the hate mail starts.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...and-angus-beef
and the influence of Cargill, Incorporated,.........standard carcass size
Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Yes, they do sort the "black" ones out and process them seperately. The Angus people have done a wonderful job at promoting their product and putting perameters in place to insure that "certified angus" is what they say it is. In order for a slaughter plant to designate cuts as "certified angus" , their staff goes through a training program, and they are monitored by the government staff at the plant. Compliance failures will result in the plant losing their "certified" program. The designated animals are stamped on the production line and sorted into the coolers accordingly.
That right there is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.My neighbor has 400 cows and sells quite a bit of meat off the farm. It's certified Angus and carries the heritage brand, the man has never bought an Angus bull in his life. He told me if 25% of the animals killed in a day are Angus the whole days kill is "certified" Angus.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
I'll second this.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
The smell of beef makes me puke.I am a straight elk,moose and deer eater.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Thy appear to work with ranches in Canada, the US, and Australia. Surprised oly 3 ranches can supply all of A&W Canada.

http://awbetterbeef.ca/
Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Here is the real reason for CAB:

Some sources speculate that women prefer more tender meat due to their smaller teeth and weaker jaw muscles. Combining that with the reduced number of women staying at home to cook roasts and such, we can argue that women are a primary driver of the move to Angus beef in the U.S.
Since my wife is vegetarian I am the one staying at home to cook roasts and such. Although my wife is a fine cook, with the exception of the yearly bird which my wife has mastered, I never trust meat cookery to anyone who does not have a taste for beef. Since I usually only cook for just me, I pick what I like and that usually is aged, very thick and marbled. When I buy the stuff I like, the only seasoning I use is kosher sale and fresh ground black pepper.

At the present, I have went from three or four day a week beef consumption to none for the last three months. Freezer full of elk and deer. I am starting to dream about a thick and marbled chunk done to perfection on my bbq. In all fairness to the grass fed stuff, I may give that a try before I indulge my taste buds on what I think I want.

I like rare meat and I can not tell the difference between types of ground because I tend to use them in recipes where they may be cooked wel done, like chilli or cabbage rolls etc..

BTW thanks for posting that link.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Everybody who's anybody loves beef
I do
Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Is it recommended that bison burger be grilled to well done or is medium safe?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:47 AM

I never eat at McDs or A+W expecting a dining experience. Usually when I am in a hurry and need to fill the hole. I sometime would think that Subway would be a better choice and go there, but I just heard that Subway uses some type of rubber in their bread
Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Subway uses some type of rubber in their bread
Thats the first time I have heard that one. Got any info on that?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
Thats the first time I have heard that one. Got any info on that?
I just heard it on the radio yesterday and did not pay much attention but I just found this on Google:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...cal-from-bread
Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I sometime would think that Subway would be a better choice and go there, but I just heard that Subway uses some type of rubber in their bread
Not entirely accurate but the sensationalism sells lots of paper and gets people talking. It also has resulted in it being removed from that bread, and I'd imagine will force it out of all foods. That has to be a good thing in everyone's mind.

That footlong loaf baking in your local Subway’s oven could contain an ingredient called azodicarbonamide. It’s an additive the U.S. Food and Drug Administration permits for use in restricted amounts to strengthen dough and to increase the shelf life of bread, and as a bleaching ingredient in cereal flour—it also happens to be used in plastics and rubber. After a petition launched this week, the ubiquitous sandwich chain announced on Wednesday that it will stop using the additive, though it did not say when.

Azodicarbonamide—banned from use in food in Europe and Australia—is used in the U.S. in Subway’s 9-grain wheat bread, Italian bread, and sourdough bread [PDF]. In Canada it’s in deli-style rolls and Italian bread [PDF]. It can also be found in buns at other restaurant chains and in some grocery aisle breads.

Chatter about the use of the additive in food grew in 2011. This week, FoodBabe.com blogger Vani Hari started a petition*asking Subway to remove azodicarbonamide from its breads; so far, Hari’s garnered more than 66,000 signatures. The company said it was working on reformulating the recipe before the petition was launched, reported the Associated Press.

STORY: McDonald's Wants You to Watch How McNuggets Are Made
Two suspicious chemicals form when bread with azodicarbonamide is baked, according to*nonprofit advocacy group*Center for Science in the Public Interest: urethane, a recognized carcinogen, and semicarbazide, which*causes cancers of the lung and blood vessels in mice, but poses a negligible risk to humans.*In a statement on Tuesday, the organization*urged the FDA to consider banning the ingredient.

In its industrial form for use in plastic and rubber, azodicarbonamide is associated with asthma*and other allergic reactions.

“We are already in the process of removing azodicarbonamide as part of our bread improvement efforts despite the fact that it is a USDA and FDA approved ingredient. The complete conversion to have this product out of the bread will be done soon,” Subway said in an e-mailed statement.

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 02-10-2014 at 11:14 AM.