Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
A few months back A&W ads stated no ADDED hormones and steroids. Now the ads simply say no hormones etc.

Either way I like the root beer. I don't eat anything there or at mickeyd's. I guess I just feel sorry for all the animal parts and by products that go into the burgers and chicken fingers.
OK, so now you got me worried. Are there any fingers in an Uncle Burger?!

Mac
Old 02-08-2014, 01:24 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post

Incredibly hot.

Good Gawd, look again!

She's not just incredibly hot, she's ... Incredibly RED Hot!

Adios

Mac
Old 02-08-2014, 06:13 AM

I did read somewhere that if Mcdonalds did not put all the chemicals in their beef that it would not be safe to eat. I never did like Mcdonalds burgers.
Now for breakfast you can't beat the A & W ham and egger. A real egg who knows about the ham but it resaembles food not powdered eggs like from Timmies.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:25 AM

Every time i see a commercial for the company that said they made a major change like "no added hormones or steroids" makes me wonder, have they been adding hormones and steroids into their burgers last year? Anyone knows the answer?

And i bet everyone had noticed that Wendy's redhead had never taken a bite of any of the sandwiches she is holding? Have they ran out of redheads? Can't find one that actually eats meat (take your minds outta gutters now).
Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve07 View Post
Hopefully not all vegetarian...
Never met one especially a red head that was.....lol
Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
If they say their beef free of hormones and such, its not necessarily saying that its certified organic, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

I am not positive, but listen closely to their add. I believe A&W claims that there are, "no steroids or hormones added." Which implies to me that they do not add any to the beef that may or may not contain said ingredients from the producer.

It's all in the wording.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:11 AM

As a Beef Producer I am sure nothing has changed with their beef. Fast food restaurants don't buy the premium $$ feedlot beef that implant "steroids and hormones". They buy cull cow hamburger that has never had implants. Beef is good as hamburger but you wouldn't want your choice cuts out of it! No changes just a marketing phrase.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 AM

Default a&w

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboytrapper View Post
As a Beef Producer I am sure nothing has changed with their beef. Fast food restaurants don't buy the premium $$ feedlot beef that implant "steroids and hormones". They buy cull cow hamburger that has never had implants. Beef is good as hamburger but you wouldn't want your choice cuts out of it! No changes just a marketing phrase.
You are bang on...... all just a marketing ploy... BUT it gets the citifers in there in droves. Ya just gotta love a good advertisement.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Good for them, gotta keep the demand up for all them burnt out cull dairy cows
Old 02-08-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Never met one especially a red head that was.....lol
Old 02-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad66 View Post
I am not positive, but listen closely to their add. I believe A&W claims that there are, "no steroids or hormones added." Which implies to me that they do not add any to the beef that may or may not contain said ingredients from the producer.

It's all in the wording.
What it means is they are using beef that hasn't had Ralgro/Revalor/Synovex or any of the other variants. Which means some individual producers like mentioned above, and Australia and S. America. For the most part, cheaper beef. There is no way in hell A&W would do this if it was more expensive. It is all about dollars, and that is it and that is all. The average consumer isn't going to follow the story back and check the research on the actual estrogen-residuals in the beef, conventional cf. "no added etc." They originally tried to advertise it as no steroids or hormones, but then realised that like our own bodies, cattle are full of testosterone and estrogen naturally. Ergo no added steroids or hormones...
Old 02-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Banned

M & M is Australian beef.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
One of the ranches they get their beef from is just outside vegraville.
ranch? 36000 head on 2 quarters isn't really a ranch, but yes Highland Feeders has gone 100% natural.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
They need to drop that little fat guy from those commercials. They never make me want to eat there. Terrible commercials.
My appetite is mysteriously absent also!
Just as i will never buy Goodyear tires for the simple reason that stupid guy 'attempting'(and miserably failing)
at trying to be funny in those commercials..also should mention
until car commercials stop making fine print in their ads
to dam small to read,I'll never buy a new vech..just my little boycot-isms.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
What it means is they are using beef that hasn't had Ralgro/Revalor/Synovex or any of the other variants. Which means some individual producers like mentioned above, and Australia and S. America. For the most part, cheaper beef. There is no way in hell A&W would do this if it was more expensive. It is all about dollars, and that is it and that is all. The average consumer isn't going to follow the story back and check the research on the actual estrogen-residuals in the beef, conventional cf. "no added etc." They originally tried to advertise it as no steroids or hormones, but then realised that like our own bodies, cattle are full of testosterone and estrogen naturally. Ergo no added steroids or hormones...
Thanks for clarifying this for me, as I did not consider that angle.
Chad
Old 02-08-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
They need to drop that little fat guy from those commercials. They never make me want to eat there. Terrible commercials.
Fear of being that outta shape fat guy makes me not ever want to eat there.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Gone Hunting

The burger joint in Bodo now has a sign that says "No added coyote grindings, in our 100% ground beef mystery surprise."

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Anyone ever eat at one in the U.S? Any better? Any worse? Totally different menu?
I ate at the one in Helena. Similar menu but disgusting.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Prefer Wendy's commercial for some reason.
It might be me, but I think their pretzel burger is the worst thing I ever tried to eat
Old 02-08-2014, 09:15 PM

I used to work as an inspector at a meat plant. Part of our duties was to run over to the hamburger plant once a day to make our presence known. Anyways, there was a lot of boxes of burger labelled product of Australia, New Zealand and Korea. And at the other end of the plant was boxes of a and w, co-op, and our compliments patties heading out the out door.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Marketing BS pure and simple.

Angus burger......hmmmm.......you gotta wonder.....is angus their marketing brand name for a burger NAME....like a Grampa burger is not really made with grampas. And if you eat lots of them, you'll probably not make it to one.

So back to my questioning........how does the processing plant seperate out the black cows from the red ones, the white ones, the brown ones, the black and white ones? Especially after they are hung on the half...with no hide. Have they designated a plant just for angus processing. Is one day a month, just angus grinding day? BS!!!!

And how do you tell the difference between angus hamburger and Hereford hamburger???? Is there really a taste difference.....afterall it ground burger.....bet the house on no one being able to tell the difference.

And then they do the Sirloin burger......really.......now they seperate out the sirloin parts and only grind them??????......that's even more unbelievable.....they want us to think they are taking the better cuts of meat and grinding it and not using the rest????......old cow is old cow....goes to hamburger......young beef goes to higher priced cuts.....no way they are going to pay double or triple to grind good cuts of meat from young animals.

They must really think we are all a bunch of morons. Their marketing people must be pretty smug that they really think they can make this crap up and use the fine print....like Angus and Sirloin are burger names. And then this .....no "ADDED" crap. Of course it's not added. Its given to the live animal not to the ground burger. Does anyone list the pesticides used on fruit or grain as an added item.....NO.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
I see A&W advertizing on TV that their burgers have no hormones
or steroids. This probably means they are not using our beef but
getting their meat from South America or Australia where animals
stay on pasture year round and not finished in feedlots. A&W wants
me to buy their beef but is not buying ours.
Thats capitalism... here at home there must be more demand for that overseas beef while the demand for ours is flagging.
Lets face it...given the choice between eating a frankencow or one that has lived its life out of doors getting lots of sunshine and exercise and nice yummy chemical free food... which would you prefer?

I have to be honest with you about another point as well.

Having been raised eating range fed beef... I find that the beef offered in our stores now tastes like cardboard by comparisson.
Its like the difference between real coffee and decaf.

No offence...
Old 02-09-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post

Angus burger......hmmmm.......you gotta wonder.....is angus their marketing brand name for a burger NAME....like a Grampa burger is not really made with grampas. And if you eat lots of them, you'll probably not make it to one.

So back to my questioning........how does the processing plant seperate out the black cows from the red ones, the white ones, the brown ones, the black and white ones? Especially after they are hung on the half...with no hide. Have they designated a plant just for angus processing. Is one day a month, just angus grinding day? BS!!!!

And how do you tell the difference between angus hamburger and Hereford hamburger???? Is there really a taste difference.....afterall it ground burger.....bet the house on no one being able to tell the difference.

And then they do the Sirloin burger......really.......now they seperate out the sirloin parts and only grind them??????......that's even more unbelievable.....they want us to think they are taking the better cuts of meat and grinding it and not using the rest????......old cow is old cow....goes to hamburger......young beef goes to higher priced cuts.....no way they are going to pay double or triple to grind good cuts of meat from young animals.

They must really think we are all a bunch of morons. Their marketing people must be pretty smug that they really think they can make this crap up and use the fine print....like Angus and Sirloin are burger names. And then this .....no "ADDED" crap. Of course it's not added. Its given to the live animal not to the ground burger. Does anyone list the pesticides used on fruit or grain as an added item.....NO.
I may wonder about A and W and Rotten Ronnies, but are you suggesting that certain types (Angus?) certain grades (AAA or AA) and certain cuts are not actually certified by meat markets, grocery chains and finer restaurants?
Old 02-09-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
"....And then this .....no "ADDED" crap. Of course it's not added. Its given to the
live animal not to the ground burger
Does anyone list the pesticides used on fruit or grain as an added item.....NO.
Haha,so true!^^
Old 02-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I may wonder about A and W and Rotten Ronnies, but are you suggesting that certain types (Angus?) certain grades (AAA or AA) and certain cuts are not actually certified by meat markets, grocery chains and finer restaurants?
Used to work with a who wouldn't eat McDonald's, said the patties were made of ground up meal worms. If you actually look at it, it kind of does lol
Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Angus is the Latin word for "sheep"--which are generally associated with both innocence as well as conformity and stupidity (following the herd no matter where they go rather than thinking for yourself.)

There is a BIG difference between Certified Angus Beef and non certified.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...king-horsemeat

Last edited by BlackHeart; 02-09-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:57 PM

Default angus beef

Quote:

Yes, they do sort the "black" ones out and process them seperately. The Angus people have done a wonderful job at promoting their product and putting perameters in place to insure that "certified angus" is what they say it is. In order for a slaughter plant to designate cuts as "certified angus" , their staff goes through a training program, and they are monitored by the government staff at the plant. Compliance failures will result in the plant losing their "certified" program. The designated animals are stamped on the production line and sorted into the coolers accordingly.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Exactly .. and to take it one step farther, by castrating an animal and then giving it the Ralgro , you are simply putting testcles back in its ear . Whats the big deal ? No big deal , I can't take A&W or Macdonalds .
Old 02-09-2014, 03:05 PM

Angus meat is good there is no disputing that. But it was all a marketing gimmick that the Canadian and American Angus associations started to promote the breed. If it would have been the Canadian Simmental association or Canadian Hereford association that started it, they would be the ones capitalizing on it now. As far as certified angus beef, black cattle are black cattle. You take a 1100lb fat black angus steer and a fat 1100 lb black Simmental steer, take the hide off and try and tell the difference.

Organic beef- isn't that the stuff produced by farmers that are just to lazy too vaccinate or treat there cattle for lice and parasites. I know someone that was going to raise organic beef one year and never vaccinated their calves. They ended up having 14 calves die that summer from black leg. I didn't feel a bit sorry for them.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:

You right on but forgot to mention a lot of those old cows have had their share of antibiotics injected.