Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2014, 05:48 AM

Default Try to Run Over a Cop, Then Sue Him for Shooting

This article makes me furious. Some people have no concept of accountability for their actions. The kid should thank his lucky stars he can still breathe. Sure is different in real life than on Xbox or TV. But hey that's how it's done on Grand Theft Auto.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch...tml?rel=847766
Old 02-06-2014, 06:13 AM

The lawsuit states that if an RCMP officer moved into the path of the Corolla, then that officer was “negligent.”

Yes because the police don't have a responsibility to get in the way of a repeat criminal to control a situation.

After it's thrown out his lawyer should be charged for wasting the courts time.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:05 AM

Once again no personal accountability, it's always someone else's fault.

One way or the other we will be paying for this POS for the rest of his life. At least his auto theft days are over.

BY RYAN CORMIER, EDMONTON JOURNAL FEBRUARY 5, 2014
EDMONTON - A Fort McMurray teen who claims a violent arrest in February 2012 left him a quadriplegic is suing the RCMP for $10.6 million.

In a recently filed lawsuit, the teen states that RCMP officers exchanged high-fives, congratulated each other and taunted him as he lay on the ground after being shot and arrested on Feb. 11, 2012. He was 16 at the time.

That day, the teen was driving a reportedly stolen Toyota Corolla around Fort McMurray as RCMP members tried to locate him. Once he was spotted and pursued, the lawsuit states, several officers boxed in the Corolla with their own vehicles at the intersection of Hospital Street and the off-ramp of Highway 63.

The teen drove the Corolla into the cruisers parked in front and behind. According to the statement of claim, the teen was attempting to “clear space to drive over the median and away from the scene” and officers were not in any danger.

Officers shot the teen in the Corolla as he tried to flee, which the suit claims was unnecessary force. As a result of the shooting and subsequent arrest, the teen suffered a spinal cord injury and is now a quadriplegic. The suit claims that officers aggravated his injuries when they pulled him from the vehicle.

“At the scene after the shooting, members of the RCMP were high-fiving, congratulating each other and taunting (the teen) with words to the effect that he ‘got what he deserved’ for trying to run from the RCMP,” the claim states.

The teen says RCMP officers did not follow procedures and should have known he would attempt to flee because of his criminal background and the “chaotic scene created by the police officers.”

In April, the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team cleared the officers involved in the incident. The investigation concluded that RCMP officers feared the teen would run one of them over.

“At this point, the two officers situated at the rear side of the vehicle believed the officer in front was in immediate danger of being struck and injured or killed,” Jane McLellan, acting director of ASIRT, said at the time. ASIRT investigates police-involved shootings in the province.

The lawsuit states that if an RCMP officer moved into the path of the Corolla, then that officer was “negligent.”

In a news release, ASIRT said the teen was given “immediate medical attention” after he was shot.

The suit names RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson and several members of the Fort McMurray detachment.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 AM

I saw a clip about this on CTV, and I believe the firm that filed the suit was James H. Brown and associates. As far as I know, they are the biggest 'ambulance chasers' in Alberta.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 AM

Another argument for Double Tap to the head.

Grizz
Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 AM
Banned

Another example of police not being responsible when exercising deadly force.

If that cop had spent more time at the range... practicing.... it would be the little turds next of kin trying to sue.

I'm surprised that it even made it this far.

Pretty hard to sue anyone in government for just doing their job.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 AM

Similar to an incident that occurred in Toronto back in the late 80's/early 90's - Kid steals car, tries to run over cop, cop shoots kid... Huge outcry.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat in the cat View Post
the lawsuit states that if an rcmp officer moved into the path of the corolla, then that officer was “negligent.”

yes because the police don't have a responsibility to get in the way of a repeat criminal to control a situation.

after it's thrown out his lawyer should be charged for wasting the courts time.
x100
Old 02-06-2014, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I saw a clip about this on CTV, and I believe the firm that filed the suit was James H. Brown and associates. As far as I know, they are the biggest 'ambulance chasers' in Alberta.
And they have been sanctioned numerous times by the law society. When the law society sanctions a lawyer, you know the lawyer must have been pretty scummy.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:34 AM

I know a kid that similarly complained when stole a car, rolled in the pursuit, fled the scene. Nearly froze to death, lost part of his foot.
His mother cried on Facebook until someone pointed out the cops didn't make him steal the car, didn't make him drive at speeds that he could not handle and then flee the scene at -35c. Mad because they didn't find him immediately??? They simply waited for him to come in from the cold.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I know a kid that similarly complained when stole a car, rolled in the pursuit, fled the scene. Nearly froze to death, lost part of his foot.
His mother cried on Facebook until someone pointed out the cops didn't make him steal the car, didn't make him drive at speeds that he could not handle and then flee the scene at -35c. Mad because they didn't find him immediately??? They simply waited for him to come in from the cold.
They weren't responsible to make sure that her kid dressed for the weather either.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:51 AM

The funny thing is they allegedly taunted him by yelling the cars were quite warm and he could get in any time he wanted
Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
The funny thing is they allegedly taunted him by yelling the cars were quite warm and he could get in any time he wanted
Oh my....poor dear.
I'm sure that he will be scarred for life now...
Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Oh my....poor dear.
I'm sure that he will be scarred for life now...
Currently incarcerated. He's had it rough
Lmao
Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Stupid kid likely is lucky he wasn't donated to Science. However, unless it was caught on tape I have problems believing the RCMP these days. Not justifing anything, just wondering was this force needed? Or was it one more RCMP power trip?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM

The teen says RCMP officers did not follow procedures and should have known he would attempt to flee because of his criminal background and the “chaotic scene created by the police officers.”

So he admits that he will flee because of his criminal background..

Simple answer....Do not flee
Old 02-06-2014, 10:15 AM

wont be fleeing anytime soon in his wheelchair.... he did get what he deserved, a life confined to a chair where he cant hurt anyone else
Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM

2 and 1
2 to the chest 1 to the head.
No law suit, offer this settlement to lawyer and car thief.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 AM

If the kid weighed another 310-465 grains when he was removed from the car this might not have happened.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
Stupid kid likely is lucky he wasn't donated to Science. However, unless it was caught on tape I have problems believing the RCMP these days. Not justifing anything, just wondering was this force needed? Or was it one more RCMP power trip?
The guy tried to drive over a cop witha stolen car.

What were they supposed to do... quickly let the air out of his tires.... put the vehicle up on blocks?

I think we have enough examples of police abuse that we don't need to go fishing for them where it is clear that the "victim" was bent escaping by any means possible including running one of the police officers down in a stolen car.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post

So he admits that he will flee because of his criminal background..

Simple answer....Do not flee
Oh yeah...
Naturally.

Translation... If they had made less of an effort to catch me... I might be out of this wheelchair and into another stolen car right now.
Its just not fair...to me... and hang everyone elses rights along with the expectation that police will actually be persistent in trying to capture fugitives.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agb Crash View Post
2 and 1
2 to the chest 1 to the head.
No law suit, offer this settlement to lawyer and car thief.
+1 in this particular case.

Break the law, expect punishment.
Keep breaking laws, expect to die.

I like it!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-06-2014, 11:52 AM

I hope the brat gets nothing out of the lawsuit.

If he'd have escaped the scene in the car he had stolen and run someone over confining them to a life of hell, also known as Tetraplegia/Quadriplegia, he'd have continued on with his greasy life without batting an eye. He wouldn't have cared. He probably would've laughed about paralyzing someone and putting them in a chair.

If he thinks that cop was negligent by having been in the way of the car he stole and began using as a weapon, than he shouldn't have been negligent by being in the way of that cop's bullet.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Banned

I wonder if the lawyer would be working on a contingincy where he or she bills for a percentage of the settlement.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I wonder if the lawyer would be working on a contingincy where he or she bills for a percentage of the settlement.
Around 30% plus costs I do believe is the average.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Poor kid.Why didn't the cops just shoot out his tires?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I'm assuming your comment is in jest, but as a side note, I don't think flat tires would prevent him from driving 10ft forward and over the RCMP officer in front of his car.

I'm happy the perp was detained, it's unfortunate that he's a Quadriplegic, but it doesn't take a wild imagination to guess what COULD have happened to others if he had made it back out on the highway. I.e. Head on with minivan carrying wife and kids..

Sad outcome either way
Old 02-06-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
They should have shot out the spark plugs instead. Or the ignition system fuse in the fuse box. All cops get extensive training in this, using their off hand to mimic their dominant hand being injured, all while blindfolded.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:11 PM

I thought all cops had EMP generators. Generate a pulse and disable his vehicle instantly. But then the lawyer would be trying to get money for exposure to emp.

IO vote we pay him for his injuries, then bill him for his medical treatments + cost of car chase, police wages, increase in all of our insurance costs + cost of his education which he obviously squandered etc....... Then any he could not pay the lawyer has to pay for this frivolous lawsuit
Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM

This has me thinking now, maybe making dangerous criminals quadriplegics might be cheaper than incarcerating them for a life sentence. Reduces their risk at reoffending, and forces their friends and family to bare the burden of taking care of them as opposed to the tax payers.

Only down side is quadriplegics have enough in life to deal with, having people wonder if they were made that way through crime would just be unfair and add to their problems.