Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Are the schools not funded by tax dollars?

Sounds like me the people to blame are those that cut funding for schools and programs.

Great way to make a point though... Those in authority would rather feed the food to garbage cans than to dis-advantaged kids.
Yup... leason learned... the morals of those we trust to run thinsg in society can be bought off for the cost of a crappy school lunch.

Hopefully the folks that made that decission will find themselves in a lineup looking for a free meal in the near future.
Obviously this lunch program isn't being funded entirely by tax dollars since the parents are being billed for it.

I think this might be Obama's school lunch program that they pushed into law a while back. It works similar to Obama Care - people who can afford it now pay more than they used to and the people who can't afford it get it for free. Supposedly user-funded, not tax based like our system.

Last edited by jethunter; 02-09-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethunter View Post
Obviously this lunch program isn't being funded entirely by tax dollars since the parents are being billed for it.

I think this might be Obama's school lunch program that they pushed into law a while back. It works similar to Obama Care - people who can afford it now pay more than they used to and the people who can't afford it get it for free. Supposedly user-funded, not tax based like our system.
Perhaps.

Of course that raises all sorts of questions.

Why did the lunch lady throw out the lunches of kids that were supposed to get it for free anyway?

Or...

How did the lunch lady know whose parents were wealthy enough...but deadbeats?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
It's not all the fault of the administrators or school although they didn't handle it well. The school has to pay their bills, too.

Blaming the school for making a scene and traumatizing kids is a fair call.
Blaming the school for the parent's failure to provide for their children is BS.

The article doesn't say what communications the school had with parents prior to this. They should have given a week warning before they were cut off.

Responsible parents pay for their children's lunches.
Agreed.

Throwing out luches, especially ones that were already added onto said tabs (unpaid or not), should not have happened. Especially in front of young kids. If they were cracking down and had to do something about it, they could have at least initiated things a little more gently by informing kids and parents that they would be having their regular lunches again as soon as their tabs were paid. Fair warning should also have been given; whether or not this happened is unclear (The article hints at it, but doesn't specify).
Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Perhaps.

Of course that raises all sorts of questions.

Why did the lunch lady throw out the lunches of kids that were supposed to get it for free anyway?

Or...

How did the lunch lady know whose parents were wealthy enough...but deadbeats?
I think the article said that children of parents who were behind paying their tabs were the ones who had their lunches taken away.

I suppose since the kids have to swipe a card to pay for their lunches it wouldn't be so hard to determine which ones were behind on payment or which ones get free food. It's a computerized system. Now they just have to computerize the lunch lady and it will all work swell.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:10 PM

I'd like to know how much they were in arrears. $2/day is not big money; maybe a few parents did not think letting it get to $30 was/is a big deal.

So many other ways to handle this, with out being ignorant to the kids.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think the article said that children of parents who were behind paying their tabs were the ones who had their lunches taken away.

I suppose since the kids have to swipe a card to pay for their lunches it wouldn't be so hard to determine which ones were behind on payment or which ones get free food. It's a computerized system. Now they just have to computerize the lunch lady and it will all work swell.
Yeah...who knows?
Crappy deal for the kids anyway.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Give your head a shake man - you have a job, do it. Stop asking parents to do it for you.
Oh geeze... sneeze can argue both sides of the argument. Anger knows no rational bounds. As a parent, your little trouble-maker Johnny is your fault. Feed him yourself, teach his some manners, respect, and humanity.

Teacher's job is to teach math, not raise your child. But your child shouldn't be punished for your incompetence as a parent.

Time to get the your head out of your...
Old 02-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
LOL, yeah, I know. I gotta quit coming back to this thread. I'm masochistic.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL, yeah, I know. I gotta quit coming back to this thread. I'm masochistic.
OK, that is one opinion.