Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2014, 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=rwm1273;2309002]Some school districts don't give an option. They know better than the parents, since they are now co-parents.[/QUOTif it was no option the the district would have to pay for my kids lunch than ... Cause i would not pay for it .I know what is best for my kids. Not the damn school for sure

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 02-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethunter View Post
It's not all the fault of the administrators or school although they didn't handle it well. The school has to pay their bills, too.

Blaming the school for making a scene and traumatizing kids is a fair call.
Blaming the school for the parent's failure to provide for their children is BS.

The article doesn't say what communications the school had with parents prior to this. They should have given a week warning before they were cut off.

Responsible parents pay for their children's lunches.
Are the schools not funded by tax dollars?

Sounds like me the people to blame are those that cut funding for schools and programs.

Great way to make a point though... Those in authority would rather feed the food to garbage cans than to dis-advantaged kids.
Yup... leason learned... the morals of those we trust to run thinsg in society can be bought off for the cost of a crappy school lunch.

Hopefully the folks that made that decission will find themselves in a lineup looking for a free meal in the near future.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
By holding the administration accountable for poor actions. Fire the person who made the decision, and then fire the principal that permitted the decision to happen in their school.

We claimed that those who stuffed ovens in WW2 could not claim they were "only following orders" as an excuse for their actions, this in my opinion is the same. Yes the parent's should have paid, but don't harm the children in the process.
HMMM? It has nothing to do with WWII.

So does firing people get the money for the free lunch?

You are dealing with a poor decision that was made to handle a situation that really should not exist in the first place.

Identify the problem you want to solve.

First the kids need to be fed. Why aren't the parents doing this? We can post away here how irresponsible the parents are, how half the population thinks the gov't's free money should pay for everything, how the parents can smoke and drink and eat chips and pizza while the kid has no lunch, and what changes? Dos any of this posturing and drum beating get the kid fed??

Why/how did things come to this point and how do you fix it.

Way back in the olden days, when I was in grade school, we were not well off.
a lot of people struggled to feed and clothe their families. We brown bagged it. No hot lunch, no free lunch, and surprise no one went hungry. If a kid 'forgot' his lunch, there were 30 other kids who had an 'extra' half sandwich or cookie. Oh yeah we had those huge classrooms of 30 kids
But that is another issue.

Point is it wasn't some rainbow infested world, and the kid who got the half sandwich was likely the same kid who got chased around the playground for doing something stupid. Yep we could say 'stupid'.

So where did things go sideways so bad that parents can't/won't pay for a free lunch?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-03-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Some school districts don't give an option. They know better than the parents, since they are now co-parents.
I know what you are saying; but that just doesn't fly with me.

[QUOTE=recce43;2309010]
Quote:
Some school districts don't give an option. They know better than the parents, since they are now co-parents.[/QUOTif it was no option the the district would have to pay for my kids lunch than ... Cause i would not pay for it .I know what is best for my kids. Not the damn school for sure
x2, and then some!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:03 PM

Bunch of bleeding heart pinko's around here.

Parents not paying their bill. What do you expect?

These kids are not going to starve going with out their oreo's for 3 hours until supper.

Pay to play.

If you are worried stop at your local school on your way to work and leave lunch money for all the students. Do it every day so the Lady never has to pack a lunch for mine.

Tax money isn't free money.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Bunch of bleeding heart pinko's around here.

Parents not paying their bill. What do you expect?

These kids are not going to starve going with out their oreo's for 3 hours until supper.

Pay to play.

If you are worried stop at your local school on your way to work and leave lunch money for all the students. Do it every day so the Lady never has to pack a lunch for mine.

Tax money isn't free money.
No meds today Sneezer? Agree there MAY be some deadbeat parents, but that's no reason to publicly humiliate the kids. Pretty sure that if you ever forgot to drop the money off and your kid was publicly humiliated because of it you would be in the school the next day looking for blood.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
No meds today Sneezer? Agree there MAY be some deadbeat parents, but that's no reason to publicly humiliate the kids. Pretty sure that if you ever forgot to drop the money off and your kid was publicly humiliated because of it you would be in the school the next day looking for blood.
So true, I would not be waiting for the next day.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
So true, I would not be waiting for the next day.
To show up and pay your way?

Or yell at the administrators because they stood in the way of tax payers floating your offspring a free lunch?

Want kids? Pay for them.

Take your kid to the orthodontist and drop him off for braces. Tell the receptionist you will be back next week to square up. Tell me what happens.

No difference. Tax money isn't free money. Its not the fault of the administrators the kids are embarrassed - its the fault of the parents.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:49 PM

so if you are a dead beat parent i can publicly humiliate your kids .. maybe those parents couldnt afford to pay .. but where just above the line for the free lunch ..

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 02-03-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Or yell at the administrators because they stood in the way of tax payers floating your offspring a free lunch?

Want kids? Pay for them.

Take your kid to the orthodontist and drop him off for braces. Tell the receptionist you will be back next week to square up. Tell me what happens.

No difference. Tax money isn't free money. Its not the fault of the administrators the kids are embarrassed - its the fault of the parents.

Yes, got it. Parents should pay.Your arguments have nothing to do with the topic at hand however. Using your logic, when someone doesn't pay their taxes, their children should be stood up in front of the school assembly and berated. Deadbeat kids attending school that their parents have not paid for, right?

Sometimes I'm amazed you and I breathe the same atmosphere.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Want kids? Pay for them.

Punish me as the parent no problem, as it is my issue not my kids. Embarrassing and punishing these kids is just wrong and this was the worse way to handle this situation. The parents played a part in this no doubt.

By the way I have 4 children sneeze, and no matter what the situation causing the issue they would not get away with this BS with my kids. Yes I would most definitely confront those that did this. Now the other point is how do you know it is dead beat parents. Perhaps they are single moms raising kids or low income families. I rather our tax dollars go to our future than welfare & EI.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:21 PM

This has loose all over it, the article did mention that the parent did not qualify for assistance. So as long as that line for assistance was set to a decent level then it is dead beats. My guess is that the cut off is too low but who knows. There is no way to enforce compliance without putting some sort of gun to the kids head (figuratively speaking). I don’t really know how you would do that better.

Government programs are like morphine, if you need it, you need it, but use it too long and bad things happen.

We have entire sections of our society that have forgotten that I am responsible for myself.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:33 PM

Something had to be done to get a point across about not paying for goods and services. It should have been done to the parents though, not the kids. This was handled poorly by the admin in this situation if it went down as depicted. Certainly not how I would have handled it.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM

Default Love that!

"Government programs are like morphine, if you need it, you need it, but use it too long and bad things happen. "

Is that yours?? Can I use it?

I don't see what the problem is..... Its a school in the US! They espouse capitalism... and thats whats being taught in an 'experiential lesson' fashion.

What a meaningful lesson about captialism. Very effective.

Isn't there a quote that goes "there's no such thing as a free lunch"? Maybe it was a language arts lesson too.

They probably should adopt the Alberta Advantage model..... No school gets funding for any food/lunch programs officially.

Any free food program is funded creatively by a caring admin, parents... or in our case... the staff.

Its a big problem. I DARE YOU to really check to see if your kids and their friends are eating luch during lunch.

Most don't these days.... for various reasons.
... But I digress.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM

If I lived in the US and was a tax payer I would be out raged even if I didn't have kids. The food never should have been given to the kids in the first place. What a waste of tax payers money and food getting thrown into the garbage. Might as well just start throwing money in the garbage.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
This has loose all over it, the article did mention that the parent did not qualify for assistance. So as long as that line for assistance was set to a decent level then it is dead beats. My guess is that the cut off is too low but who knows. There is no way to enforce compliance without putting some sort of gun to the kids head (figuratively speaking). I don’t really know how you would do that better.

Government programs are like morphine, if you need it, you need it, but use it too long and bad things happen.

We have entire sections of our society that have forgotten that I am responsible for myself.
The lunch program at my kids school is close to the same as the daycare subsidy. So around 50k I believe.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 PM

Please say 50K is a typo and it's 5k, at 5K that is still 20$ per lunch.

They are eating better than me, my lunch averages under 5$ I'd be asking where the money goes.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:37 PM

Bad call... simply stupid regardless of who paid or didn't pay.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Please say 50K is a typo and it's 5k, at 5K that is still 20$ per lunch.

They are eating better than me, my lunch averages under 5$ I'd be asking where the money goes.
Should have been more clear. 50k per year earned by parents or you are paying for lunch. We pay a bit more than 6 bucks per day. Earn less than 50k a year and your a subsidized by people like me.
I do and I don't begrudge it. I would rather see that than see kids go hungry. Bad parents or not every kid deserves to eat. Call me liberal commie scum but the way I grew up was not everybody for themselves. We often had other kids over for supper etc, didn't understand until I was older.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

Sometimes I'm amazed you and I breathe the same atmosphere.
That's a really constructive, well intentioned statement.

The kids weren't stood up in front of the school and berated. The administrators took the food back that the kids (parents) had not paid for.

Next time my kids are hungry I will just toss them behind the counter at Subway and let them dig in.

Anybody that gets in my way or tells me what I am doing is wrong is a cold hearted child abuser. /sarc

As I stated earlier - these kids weren't going to die from not getting their Oreos. Their parents had not paid for the food - and this didn't occur in Oko's collective utopia of unicorn dreams and public sector workers - so the food was taken away. Big deal.

If you feel so strongly about it - send a cheque, its for the children!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:00 PM

Get them high priced socialized lunch programs out of the schools. People should pay to feed their own spawn. Provide a inexpensive fridge in each classroom and that is it. Kids are tough. I'm sure they will survive. Its a tough world out there. Chalk it up to a life lesson and move on. Too many bleeding heart liberals here!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Get them high priced socialized lunch programs out of the schools. People should pay to feed their own spawn. Provide a inexpensive fridge in each classroom and that is it. Kids are tough. I'm sure they will survive. Its a tough world out there. Chalk it up to a life lesson and move on. Too many bleeding heart liberals here!
Hell i don't think we should even supply refrigeration. Classrooms have too many kids in them anyway.
Look at it as one more tool in our fight against poverty. A few indigents less everyday should clear the problem up in no time.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
No you're wrong. Too many people that care about grade one kids eating or not. I've worked hard for what I have so i don't mind sharing.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:39 PM

Default Now that there's some

Quote:
... Real ignorance.
It's extremely, extremely simple.
Feed kids before and during school and;

Marks go up
Behaviour improves
Attendance goes up.

And not a little bit. ALOT. Academic improvements go up by 10% or higher in some cases.

I sometimes thing no greater investment could happen.

Feed em. They're kids.

I think we're one of the few western countries that don't do lunch-school food programs.

More burgers might actually mean less welfare cheques down the line.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Either your trolling for an argument or you have no clue what happen here. Question, do you have children or a childless tax payer with no compassion for the children.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I agree.

I shouldn't have to pay for other peoples kids. If you want to breed, pay for it yourself.

Don't care either about these feel good arguments about how kids are 10% better with tax payer funded food. That is treating the symptom and completely ignoring the cause.

I am currently taking donations from you collectivists for my daughters teeth. Step up you commies, comrade in need.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:23 PM

The only solution there Sneeze is ta sterilize the poor, the ignorant and issue breeding licenses.

The reality is what it is... And your solution will simply breed more.
I really wish people would take care of their own to. But they don't.
I don't think free food will engender a society of sluffers and leaches.

Simple as that.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I agree.

I shouldn't have to pay for other peoples kids. If you want to breed, pay for it yourself.

Don't care either about these feel good arguments about how kids are 10% better with tax payer funded food. That is treating the symptom and completely ignoring the cause.

I am currently taking donations from you collectivists for my daughters teeth. Step up you commies, comrade in need.
Capitalism says find a employer with better benefits?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Lots of good points in this thread re: not humiliating children for their parents' irresponsibility and the fact that kids learn more when they aren't hungry.

Regardless, in America there's plenty of money for GWOT, mass surveillance of the population, and bailing out fraudulent corporations.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Smile

Just using some of the conservative logic I learned here on AO. Sheesh throw kids into the mix and people turn into bleeding hearts I guess. They are just people after all and haven't even paid their dues. Suck it up man. It could be worse. They could be denied healthcare cause mom and dad can't pay a private insurer making billions per year. C'est la vie. Life is tough. If they want more they can work for it. Surely if everyone just tried there would be enough six figure jobs for everyone and we'd find someone to fill the fast food serving and janitorial void that all these new six figure earners left behind. Life is good just shut up and got to work.